looking for info on cochrane, and abitibi areas

skidooboy

the other is a lodge where you actually get to socialize with Rod & Kim and the rest of the guests.

The dining area is very much the meeting place of the north. Last winter we had a great chat w/ zrtkat & his gang.

I'm surprised to hear about the Chimo like that.

Is my remembery wrong? Was that not a new construction mid 90's?

100' drop down t'other side?

I guess I will hafta gear up and head that way one day! I didn't realize it was THAT big'a country! Is there more to it than just the hole in the ground next to the R/R? Does it continue on for a ways? East or west?

I guess I'll hafta git my TOPO's back out?

Personally I have been eyeballing the hydro line east and west of there to the mines for many yrs. I wonder if there's much topography on the hydro lines once you git very far from the dam? THAT trip would take some serious petro - so I doubt too many have ever attempted it. 8-)

The trip that far north just demands about 2 more days. I can make Anywhere Algoma in say 10 hrs, so by daylight I'm there. Same on return trip. Northern Corridor justmakes it over that threshold of time... Then your into the same time dedicated as West.

Ox;

I think you would be plesantly suprised. I have rode in BC several times and this is the next best thing to mountain riding that I have ever found in Ontario. Of course, if the powder is 3 or 4 feet deep it is even better, but there is long enough steep stuff to give any powder hound a little adrenaline fix. The canyon itself is only 5 or 6 miles long, but when there is a pile of snow, it would be a full day workout to go from one end to the other and back. I have been there after a 3 foot dump and spent 3 or 4 hours going in a half mile and back out. Got to remember, it's a 100 mile ride to get there and another 100 back out, so it turns into a fairly long day.

Just google Fraserdale, the canyon starts at the damhead and runs the powerline beside and to the north of it. There is a road that goes right to the damhead at Fraserdale from Smooth Rock Falls. I know people that have trailered in, played in the canyon for the day and then trailered back out to Cochrane in the evening. You can then bring fuel with you and maybe spare sleds. Seems like our crew always ends up breaking something or someone....

If Cochrane puts you over your time threshold, I would definately go west! Nothing better than riding in real mountains!

Just google Fraserdale, the canyon starts at the damhead and runs the powerline beside and to the north of it. There is a road that goes right to the damhead at Fraserdale from Smooth Rock Falls. I know people that have trailered in, played in the canyon for the day and then trailered back out to Cochrane in the evening. You can then bring fuel with you and maybe spare sleds. Seems like our crew always ends up breaking something or someone....

100 miles each way? You mean 100 klicks eh? It's been a while since I've been there, but I am sure it was only 50 - 60 miles up the road to Fraserdale. Trail doesn't wind too much does it?

100 miles each way? You mean 100 klicks eh? It's been a while since I've been there, but I am sure it was only 50 - 60 miles up the road to Fraserdale. Trail doesn't wind too much does it?

100 miles it is. Give or take a mile or two.

Cochrane to SRF 42 miles

SRF to Fraserdale 51 miles

Cochrane to Fraserdale 90 miles

OK - THAT seems more like it!

Its a lot closer to 100 miles then it is to 90!!

I'll recheck my GPS file & post what I find.

I don't know if this should be in it's own thread or not, but:

Does anyone know anything about some supposed one lone big "mountain" east of Timmins?

I take it that it is not on the trail to K-Bec as that trail runs further north from where this is supposed to be I think. ???

Not necessarily was it sleddable. Prolly all covered with trees for all I know. ???

I don't even remember when/where I heard about it? Possibly from BillyGoat? (If anyone remembers him?)

There's a big hill/mountain between Gogama & Timmins, just west of TOP C.

I'll recheck my GPS file & post what I find.

It's 91 miles directly from the Tim Hortons in Cochrane to the Abitibi Dam. No off trail excursions.

Cochrane.zip

Ox, it may be Mount Kamisuta (or something like that) just inside the Quebec border, east of Kirkland Lake.

The above pictures are from an old fire look out tower south of Timmins. There is another fire tower look out in Greenwater Park, just outside of Cochrane, but other than these places there isn't much around in the way of mountains or even high elevations.

Ox, it may be Mount Kamisuta (or something like that) just inside the Quebec border, east of Kirkland Lake.

The one just across the border & south of the highway is Mont Cheminis. I climbed it back in '79 when I was a Junior Ranger west of KL. No sled access up it, just rock straight up.

There's a Mt. Kanasuta NW of Noranda. I think there's a ski hill on it.

The above pictures are from an old fire look out tower south of Timmins. There is another fire tower look out in Greenwater Park, just outside of Cochrane, but other than these places there isn't much around in the way of mountains or even high elevations.

We finally made it up the Gogama tower hill a couple of winters ago. We'd been by it in the past, but it was either cloudy or snowing.

The area I have in my mind from the story that I got was that it was maybe S/SW of Lake Abitibi? Or that general area. I don't think it was on the other side of the border. ???

Keep in mind of course that I can't quite remember the conversation nor who it was even with for sure. It's been a while...

Also - if it was BillyGoat that told me about it (timeframe would be right) then it may not even have a rd or trail to it at all as he lived in Timmons and flew. ???

The area I have in my mind from the story that I got was that it was maybe S/SW of Lake Abitibi? Or that general area. I don't think it was on the other side of the border. ???

Keep in mind of course that I can't quite remember the conversation nor who it was even with for sure. It's been a while...

Also - if it was BillyGoat that told me about it (timeframe would be right) then it may not even have a rd or trail to it at all as he lived in Timmons and flew. ???

was he from the old "trail conditions" board?, I defiantly remember you from there, as well as billy bob........there are some you just never forget. I remember reading some posts on that board, that had me laughing so hard I was crying.

The area I have in my mind from the story that I got was that it was maybe S/SW of Lake Abitibi? Or that general area.

You aren't losing your mind after all.

I looked on Mapsource & there are some high features east of Matheson between the lake & Hwy. 101. Four peaks make up the "Ghost Range", 1500' to 1600' elevation. They are 500 to 600 feet above the surrounding terrain. Lighting Mountain to the east is 1200'.

BillyGoat was on Trail Conditions - yes. As well as Snowest.

Him and his wife (Judge Rose) died in a plane crash N of Cochrane I believe Sept of '01 as I remember? They got iced up in an unseasonal winter storm on their way to their cabin. Me and a chumm rode ATV with him one day around Timmons in summer of '01.

So I couldn't ask him either way.

Revrnd - you were questioning my state of mind? :wtf:

;)

1500' doesn't seem too tall does it. :coffeespit:

But with the flat swamps on that whole area - a 20' hill will stand out for klicks! :rotflmao: (Our neghboring counties here don't have any topography at all either. Make drainage a ..... chore.)

The peaks right next to Lake Superior git to 2500'. (Did I ever mention that I love the Shield?) :D

• 4 weeks later...

anyone have any current conditions of the canyon. im in Timmins and well dont want to take the two hour drive to find out its crap. lol.

went late in the season last year and had a blast.. but dont want to go if there is less than a foot and a half of snow.

the other is a lodge where you actually get to socialize with Rod & Kim and the rest of the guests.

The dining area is very much the meeting place of the north. Last winter we had a great chat w/ zrtkat & his gang.

revrnd It was also a pleasure meeting you guys, last year we all had a great time staying there. Unfortunately with me being layed off for a while we will be unable to come to ontario this winter :curse: We always enjoy our snowmobile trip every year ,but we will have to hope the economy picks up here and we can get back to normal.

I am hoping everyone has a great year for snowmobiling In Ontario and will keep checking the site for up-dates on the trails and look ahead to the next year and coming up next year to snowmobile.

Everyone have a great winter

Zrtkat & crew

:wavey: see you next winter

Lilabelle is the only place to stay in Cochrane, Rod and Kim are the best hosts I have ever encountered, period! If you want some real decent off trail adventure, like Lep said, get hold of Billy Froud at Extreme Tours and do the ride to Moosonee. Nothing like parking your sled on the ice of James Bay!

I talk to Bill a couple weeks ago & booked in for the end of March, Booked in with Rod & Kim for the week. Looking forward to to the trip to The Bay!

Rich

Zrt', I hope things turn around for you & you can make it up in '11. You can watch OC this winter for the trip reports & pics, but I can't imagine them being as entertaining as yours'.

Archived