Caught with No Trail Permit

PhatboyC

Tried the trails for the first time last year in Quebec. Purchased a 3 day pass. Comparing pricing this year:

Quebec 2009-2010 Season Pass: Includes liability Insurance

285 $ for an annual trail permit purchased after December 9, 2009

235 $ for an annual trail permit purchased on or before December 9, 2009

350 $ for an annual trail permit sold on trail*

150 $ for an annual trail permit for antique snowmobiles (1990 and older)

175 $ for a 7-day trail permit

90 $ for a 3-day trail permit

400 $ for an annual trail permit for a rental snowmobile

Notice the sold on trail pass? Here is the explanation note. *Purchase your trail permit before hitting the trails! Extra charges are payable when the annual trail permit is purchased on trails. Note that permits issued for antique sleds, as well as daily or weekly permits, cannot be purchased on trails.

From what I gather, if you get caught without a trail permit you can purchase a season permit at 350$ right on the spot. This is 65$ more expensive then if you buy one before going ridding or 115$ more expensive if you purchase before December.

The people that gets caught and pay can ride the rest of the year with their more expensive season pass. What is the fine in Ontario if you get caught without a permit?

What do you think, you like the Quebec system?

Just for info here's the new 2009-10 pricing for Ontario:

Ontario: No insurance included but mandatory.

Full Season: $250.00

On or before December 1st, 2009 $200.00

7 Day Permit $140.00

3 Day Permit $100.00

Classic Permit - (Download Order Form)

(available for sleds model year 1995 or older - a minimum of 15 years old)

$125.00

Special Events Permit (available only for club sanctioned events) $35.00

$35 more with insurance........really?

I like the higher price for a permit on the trail. Maybe it should be double!!! $500 http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/icon_cool.gif

I like the model. I wonder what the prices would be in Ontario using this type of approach. BTW, I am not questioning the current prices. We pay very little for the great benefits we enjoy and owe a lot to the volunteers of the sport.

The Quebec system of fees is very good. And the trails are magnificent. With varied speed limits depending on location, width of trail, etc, etc.

If you buy a full season pass and prove you have valid insurance coverage already, you get a refund; it was around 40 Bucks or something like that if I remember correctly.

Tried the trails for the first time last year in Quebec. Purchased a 3 day pass. Comparing pricing this year:

Notice the sold on trail pass? Here is the explanation note. *Purchase your trail permit before hitting the trails! Extra charges are payable when the annual trail permit is purchased on trails. Note that permits issued for antique sleds, as well as daily or weekly permits, cannot be purchased on trails.

From what I gather, if you get caught without a trail permit you can purchase a season permit at 350$ right on the spot. This is 65$ more expensive then if you buy one before going ridding or 115$ more expensive if you purchase before December.

The people that gets caught and pay can ride the rest of the year with their more expensive season pass. What is the fine in Ontario if you get caught without a permit?

7 Day Permit $140.00

3 Day Permit $100.00

$125.00

Did you know that Quebecs annual validation sticker is $73 ? And liability insurance is just what it is for Liability. Your sled isn't covered.

Did you know that Quebecs annual validation sticker is $73 ? And liability insurance is just what it is for Liability. Your sled isn't covered.

I don't need my sled to be covered. Which is a perfect system for me. I can't get 40$ liability insurance over here.

I don't need a Quebec validation sticker since my sled is registered here in Ontario. Right?

I don't need my sled to be covered. Which is a perfect system for me. I can't get 40$ liability insurance over here.

I don't need a Quebec validation sticker since my sled is registered here in Ontario. Right?

Correct.

Do you mean the following:

*Not speaking English even though you can and resenting the rest of Canada for not learning French

*Despising American Tourists

*Being rude to other North Americans

*Being upset that Quebec is a part of Canada

7 Day Permit $140.00

3 Day Permit $100.00

$125.00

You might want to look closely into the quebec liability ins coverage thingy and see if you are actually covered if your not a resident of quebec.

The fine for not having a permit in ontario (charges laid by STOP or OPP ) is around $200 and that doesn't get you a permit either.

You really cant compare Quebec and Ontario when it comes to sledding laws and insurance regulations, it's like comparing apples and oranges. The laws and insurance regulations are completely different.

You really cant compare Quebec and Ontario when it comes to sledding laws and insurance regulations, it's like comparing apples and oranges. The laws and insurance regulations are completely different.

I've heard rumour that their laws are difficult to understand. Its like they're written in a different language or something. :wtf:

I started doing Trail Patrol because I wanted to give something back to the community and become involved with a great group of people. I sometimes find it slightly frustrating that in the quite a few years I see so very few policing efforts on the trails. By this I mean the OPP and STOP. Since 2002 I have seen the OPP out twice. Once was just outside Coldwater at a junction of the old rail line. They were checking for trail permits, insurance and ownership as well as had radar set up for those coming across the big wide open flat field. He told me I was 5 over and said that was okay because I had all my paper work in tact. He pointed to two others who were getting tickets for doing 120 across the field and for that he said there is no foregiveness. The only other time was in Orillia as the sleds were coming off of the ice. They were checking for permits only. As soon as you got off the ice you were on a trail and many people didn't seem to realize that. Basically I wish our system had more teeth in it for those speeding, riding dangerously risking their own safety and that of others. If I find someone on the trail without a permit I ask them to buy one, educated them on the system and if they don't want to I can issue a notice of tresspass. We really need some more OPP or stop presence. While I see people either speed up and blow past me or turn around and go the other way I doubt they would do that for the sled with the flashing blue light and the guy in the uniform. Don't get me wrong. The Trail Patrol adds great value. I just think we need more significant consequences for the scoff laws and an increased presence of those with more significant authority to augment the great work done by those on Trail Patrol. Once of the best parts of doing Trail Patrol is the great people you meet. So often people will stop me to ask for directions or just say hello.

You might want to look closely into the quebec liability ins coverage thingy and see if you are actually covered if your not a resident of quebec.

Will do.

The fine for not having a permit in ontario (charges laid by STOP or OPP ) is around $200 and that doesn't get you a permit either.

I just wanted to discuss the comparison in their pricing system in general.

So 200$ fine over here. Quebec 115$ premium over the regular pass that they force you to purchase. Which one is more effective to:

1.Get more money in to the snowmobile federation's budget?

2.Get the snowmobiler to come back and purchase a pass next year?

And the trails are magnificent. With varied speed limits depending on location, width of trail, etc, etc.

Maybe if you only ride in central Ontario.

2 winters ago we rode from Notre Dame du Nord to Amos then west thru Lasarre to Cochrane. 100 bucks for a day & a half of riding the FCMQ trails.

We didn't find the trails any better that what we've ridden on up in northern Ontario.

Phatboy, any reason for starting 2 threads that are basically the same?

And the trails are magnificent. With varied speed limits depending on location, width of trail, etc, etc.

2 winters ago we rode from Notre Dame du Nord to Amos then west thru Lasarre to Cochrane. 100 bucks for a day & a half of riding the FCMQ trails.

We didn't find the trails any better that what we've ridden on up in northern Ontario.

"Maybe if you only ride in central Ontario" :wtf::wtf: Where in my post did I draw a negative comparison to any Ontario trails ??

I've put a lot of miles on in Northern Ontario and love the trails up there too. They are also magnificent. I also like the varied speed limits in the Quebec system.

"Maybe if you only ride in central Ontario" :wtf::wtf: Where in my post did I draw a negative comparison to any Ontario trails ??

I've put a lot of miles on in Northern Ontario and love the trails up there too. They are also magnificent. I also like the varied speed limits in the Quebec system.

I too would love to see a varied speed limit on our trails .

STG, I wasn't badmouthing you personally, but over the years I've heard so many people reply when I say I go to northern Ontario, "Oh, I'd rather go to Quebec for my sledding vacation" it's annoying.

Rather than spend the necessary permit money in Quebec, I'll spend it in Ontario.

STG, I wasn't badmouthing you personally, but over the years I've heard so many people reply when I say I go to northern Ontario, "Oh, I'd rather go to Quebec for my sledding vacation" it's annoying.

Rather than spend the necessary permit money in Quebec, I'll spend it in Ontario.

That is your choice much like the other is thier choice. However with issues like the F trail and the cops being radar crazy we are not helping ourselves.

Much like the highways it seems very few obey the posted speed limits on the trails. Some of the trails you are lucky to be able to go faster than a crawl by their twisty narrow nature. Others are straight ahead wide open, flat and as smooth as a table top. Then you also have everything in between. I would prefer to see variable speed limits and in some cases there are. If you get off the ice in Orillia the posted limit is 20. I have been doing the 50 on one of those nice straight trails and everybody just blows on by me. One of these spots is the old rail line from Coldwater to Orillia. It seems the average speed on their is about 80. Which refers to an earlier post. We really do need more enforcement out there.

While many may wonder what is wrong with the 80 on a nice straight old rail line the answer is what about the unexpected. You don't have as much control on a sled as you do a car.

As I rode down the rail line at 50 to 55 approximately enjoying the scenery two sleds blew past me. Just as they got past the second sled hit a bump he didn't see. It sent his sled off to the left and in front of two oncoming sleds. The rail line is elevated and he went off the left side down into a tree. The other oncoming sled swerved to his left to avoid the one coming at him which now put him right in front of me. Fortunately he and I were both riding at a reasonable speed, under control and were able to stop safely without hitting each other. The speed demon down at the bottom had a broken front grab bar, cracked cowling and broken windshield. Fortunatley that was all. He walked away from it. He then tried to blame it all on me for going too slow and forcing him to pass me. "If you had of been doing 80 like you should be none of this would have happened you f....ing a...hole"

He then tried to blame it all on me for going too slow and forcing him to pass me. "If you had of been doing 80 like you should be none of this would have happened you f....ing a...hole"

This happens on the highways too!! :roll:

He then tried to blame it all on me for going too slow and forcing him to pass me. "If you had of been doing 80 like you should be none of this would have happened you f....ing a...hole"

This happens on the highways too!! :roll:

They find it hard to drive with thier head up thier ass !

Archived