Cochrane March 27 - 29

sledjunk

Last weekend a group of us headed up to Cochrane for a late season ride. Unforunately, as the time to leave drew closer, our group shrunk and in the end it was Maple, 'Mr Maple' and I who made the trek.

I headed up Thursday night after work and arrived about 3:30 Friday mornign at Lillabelle Lake Resort. Maple was heading up in the 'morning' and eventually arrived about 8:30 Friday night.

Catdoo and Snowhound were to be in the area so Friday morning I tried to reach them. Alas, Catdoo was about to head home but I never did get in touch with Snowhound. As it turns out, he too had decided to head home on Friday. I decided to simply do a short loop around Cochrane and eventually put on about 150 Km or so on Friday.

Sled-090327-Cochrane.gif

Saturday morning, we decided to head for the Abitibi Canyon. As I had been there once before, I was the 'leader'. :lol:

We headed off to Smooth Rock Falls for fuel on the way up so that we wouldn't need quite as much of the $1.85/L fuel at the base camp. The trails were quite hard but there was still enough lube for the sliders. However, the temp light did come on on the Yamaha but nothing that venturing off trail a bit didn't fix.

The trails were in great shape with a few sections that had some minor bumps (6 - 7 inches peak to trough).

DSCN0030.jpg

We didn't venture too far into the off trail part of the canyon as I wasn't very familiar with the area and the Yammie is too heavy to get stuck. After a quick lunch and refuelling at base camp, we continued along the loop back down over the ice bridge and back to Cochrane. The area near the ice bridge was a section that was bare for a short distance but this was the end of March :wtf:

Sled-090328-Cochrane.gif

We had read about the Moonbeam Clubhouse on here and decided that Sunday was the day to visit it.

On the way, we just had to go up to the Calquhoun Lookout in Greenwater Provincial Park. Pretty spectacular view.

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0036.jpg

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0041.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

On the way back down, through the park I noticed that this provincial park has Everything! Even a special place for dogs to do their business!

DSCN0048.jpg

DSCN0049.jpg

In keeping with the spirit, I decided that we should 'mark our territory' as well! :lol::lol:

DSCN0050.jpg

There is also a scenic lookout over Green Lake which is a kettle lake in the park.

DSCN0043.jpg

DSCN0044.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

We were here!!!

DSCN0047.jpg

Finally headed on to the Moonbean Clubhouse. Wow, what a great clubhouse!

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0052.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

Now when someone mentions the Moonbeam Clubhouse, I can honestly say, "Been there! Done that! Got the 'tuque'" :lol:

DSCN0054.jpg

Sled-090329-Cochrane.gif

It had started to snow about as we arrived at Moonbeam and by the time we arrived back at Lillabelle, there was about 4 inches of fresh powder and drifting snow.

All in all we had a great time and would be remiss without thanking Rod and Kim for their exceptional hospitality and wonderful meals.

This was a great end of season trip and one to remember!

Looks like you had a great time! Great report!

:twisted:

Nice pics and report!

We are heading up tonight for the week. 30 cm of snow in the 2 day forecast.

If I plan to drive, it will snow.

Don't think I'll complain no matter how slow or long the drive up is.

My wife has a cold and lost her voice.

Too much Karma.

:woot:

Nice report, we were there 2 weeks ago. Sure would be nice to get back there for one more ride I tell ya.

Thanks for posting sledjunk...enjoyed descriptions of both trips posted and the maps!

Can't call him "Beech." lol

Doubt he'd like "Stumpy."

How about the Mighty Oak?

You know, the little nut that was too stubborn to give up till it towered above the rest.

How about spruce?...as he would be 'pining' for maple. (wandering close to WB/RR territory.... :D )

As they say, there's the name that you're given and the name that you earn.....

Wonderful report. Superb photos.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the pics. We did the same day trip two weeks ago except out of the north adventure inn. In the park at the end of the trail going up was all icy specially at the last turn up. Where the L105 meets A line someone had already put a sticker on the dumper. Did you see them? We do anywhere between 4 to 6 thousand miles a season up here and in Quebec. Where I live is a good starting point since D line is right in front of my home on the lake. Would like to have some stickers to place where we ride. Where did or from who did you get the stickers from? Thanks Scott

Thanks for the pics. We did the same day trip two weeks ago except out of the north adventure inn. In the park at the end of the trail going up was all icy specially at the last turn up. Where the L105 meets A line someone had already put a sticker on the dumper. Did you see them? We do anywhere between 4 to 6 thousand miles a season up here and in Quebec. Where I live is a good starting point since D line is right in front of my home on the lake. Would like to have some stickers to place where we ride. Where did or from who did you get the stickers from? Thanks Scott

We put that sticker there on the 15th on our trip to the Canyon :D

Send a PM to either Reved or LuvMyViper and I am sure they will send you some stickers.

PM Reved or LMV ... either one of them should be able to help you out with stickers.

'Mark your territory!' :rotflmao:

Hey ! Kewl Report, nice Pix ! Gotta love that area and LL is a treat to sled from.

Moonbeam clubhouse is great. Mid-winter it is tough to get a seat. The kitchen is going full time.

Thanks for posting SJ !

How about spruce?...as he would be 'pining' for maple. (wandering close to WB/RR territory.... :D )

I'm going to leaf that one alone :poke:

More picture of our trip ... had a great time and would definitely go back. Thanks again to Rod and Kim for making the weekend that much more special.

Heading up to Cochrane on the Friday ... started out at about 7C in Cambridge ... was below 0C by the time we got to Cochrane.

Cochrane-Mar09001.jpg

A beautiful sunset Friday night ...

Cochrane-Mar09008.jpg

The 'A' trail Saturday morning as we headed out ...

Cochrane-Mar09010.jpg

Cochrane-Mar09012.jpg

Stopped along the way ...

Cochrane-Mar09014.jpg

Cochrane-Mar09017.jpg

More great trail shots ...

Cochrane-Mar09024.jpg

Cochrane-Mar09025.jpg

And there's always time for snow angels ...

Cochrane-Mar09028.jpg

Crossing the Ice Bridge ...

Cochrane-Mar09055.jpg

Cochrane-Mar09056.jpg

Cochrane-Mar09058.jpg

Heading out Sunday morning ...

Cochrane-Mar09062.jpg

Cochrane-Mar09063.jpg

Taken at the Moonbeam clubhouse ...

Cochrane-Mar09086.jpg

Cochrane-Mar09087.jpg

On the way back to Lillabelle ...

Cochrane-Mar09088.jpg

Was really hoping to get 'snowed in' on Monday, but no such luck ... heading home ...

Cochrane-Mar09092.jpg

Thanks, SJ for showing us around Cochrane ... had a great time! :wavey:

Thanks for the awesome pics and report. Unfortunately its too far away for me, and my sled was put away last Friday for the offseason. Made me drool though looking at those beautiful trails.

Thanks for the awesome pics and report. Unfortunately its too far away for me, and my sled was put away last Friday for the offseason. Made me drool though looking at those beautiful trails.

Nine hour drive for us ... but definitely worth it! Hopefully you'll be able to make it up there next year ... you won't be sorry.

Archived