North Bay Trails - did they survive?

gwilburn

Vary little new snow in North Bay , maybe 5 cm and some freezing rain. Probavly best for the trails without any more snow. Sudbury got hit really hard with lots of snow & heavy drifting. Iy usually takes 5 days to recover from that much snow at once.

hee hee, don't mind revovering from these kinds of things!

No time to ride today, but maybe tomorrow! Trails look mint! :woot:

Evil, here's a post from Sudbury, must be tough grooming

"Just got back from the STP. Lamtrac is down with a blown hyd hose underneat. Got it back to the yard will have to get under it to determin which one and then get it off and replaced. Capreol groomer down with a flat tire. That makes 3 down. Also talked to several operators and having a hell of a time getting through- have to drop the drag in many areas (especially hills) and plow the snow then rehook up and groom. Takes an hour to rehhok up every time. 8 hour runs are taking 16-20. An example is the Long Lake run took almost 16 hours one way and then they spent another 3 hourstrying to get the drag back before giving up and coming out to get supplies and a rest"

Evil, here's a post from Sudbury, must be tough grooming

"Just got back from the STP. Lamtrac is down with a blown hyd hose underneat. Got it back to the yard will have to get under it to determin which one and then get it off and replaced. Capreol groomer down with a flat tire. That makes 3 down. Also talked to several operators and having a hell of a time getting through- have to drop the drag in many areas (especially hills) and plow the snow then rehook up and groom. Takes an hour to rehhok up every time. 8 hour runs are taking 16-20. An example is the Long Lake run took almost 16 hours one way and then they spent another 3 hourstrying to get the drag back before giving up and coming out to get supplies and a rest"

Ouch! I don't doubt that it takes a lot more time and effort to get through a major snow storm.

but if we didn't get snow, the groomers would be sitting idle. So I'll take the snow.

I'm an optimist, they'll get them going............hopefully by next weekend! :P

Just got back from North Bay. Trails are great except for around town and the main trail heading north.

Very impressed considering how many sleds were in the hotel parking lots!

Evil

Were at Gowganda and thinking of taking 107 to C and then south towards Sudbury do you know if that section of C is having problems with groomers ?

MM

Evil

Were at Gowganda and thinking of taking 107 to C and then south towards Sudbury do you know if that section of C is having problems with groomers ?

MM

Not sure! :wtf:

Evil

MM

Not sure! :wtf:

I think Broder dill is one of the groomers down. they'd probably be the one that would groom 107 I think.

We rode in sudbury area on saturday and everywhere had lotsa snow but was super rough. I think i left a kidney somewhere on Lake Wahnapatie.

We rode in sudbury area on saturday and everywhere had lotsa snow but was super rough. I think i left a kidney somewhere on Lake Wahnapatie.

Wanupatie is usually rough, especially with all the drifts and such!!

Hopefully they smooth out the trails before the weekend!

How's Trout Lake for snow cover? I'm visiting friends this weekend who live a hop, skip & a jump from the lake on the east side of the city. I'm hoping the weather holds out on Friday & I can get a ride in & fill in some gaps on A101D & D102C.

We had a NBSC Board Meeting at The McCoys on Trout Lake last night and several Directors arrived by sled and said the lake was fine. we have two conflicting weather reports. One very negative (warm & rain) from The Weather Network and Environment Canada showing much cooler.

Good base on the trails and the big plus for our trails is absolutely no road running like south of here.

BB - NBSC

We had a NBSC Board Meeting at The McCoys on Trout Lake last night and several Directors arrived by sled and said the lake was fine. we have two conflicting weather reports. One very negative (warm & rain) from The Weather Network and Environment Canada showing much cooler.

Good base on the trails and the big plus for our trails is absolutely no road running like south of here.

BB - NBSC

Thanks for the quick update.

How's Trout Lake for snow cover? I'm visiting friends this weekend who live a hop, skip & a jump from the lake on the east side of the city. I'm hoping the weather holds out on Friday & I can get a ride in & fill in some gaps on A101D & D102C.

I'm going to be from the Soo all the way across the north shore of Superior this next week........any mileages you need by gps from that area? Just let me know and I will get them. By the way, your mileage and accommodation charts came in very handy while planing this trip....thanks so much!!! :wavey:

I'm going to be from the Soo all the way across the north shore of Superior this next week........any mileages you need by gps from that area? Just let me know and I will get them. By the way, your mileage and accommodation charts came in very handy while planing this trip....thanks so much!!! :wavey:

I agree thanks for all the time & effort that went into the charts. It's my winter bible! :D

I agree thanks for all the time & effort that went into the charts. It's my winter bible! :D

Ditto, those charts are awesome, printed them off and carried them with us for our trip up north. All your hard work is much appreciated!

Thanks gang.

If you have any comments about places you've stayed at this winter (gas availability, sled accessibility, etc) PM me & I'll update the list for next season.

Turn on your gps and feel free to share the tracks when you return

The railbed (A101D) south of Astorville will be bare probably in a day or 2. There is some logging on A101D west of TOP A. Top A was in decent shape thru Bonfield along the pipeline over to The McCoys. TOP D was a bit choppy from Trout Lake down to Astorville.

Archived