North Bay Trails - did they survive?

gwilburn

Any report on the trails in this area? Did they make it through the warms temps and rain? The OFSC site hasn't been updated for 3 days.

I was speaking to someone this morning - he was in North Bay last night - the answer was NO they didn't survive and no snow around Powassan either. You need to head much further north I'm afraid to get good riding in.

Well... we're not leaving for over two weeks yet (loop leaves North Bay going north on 3/1)... According to the NNTA website, updated today, the trails did survive and are OPEN. :woot:

BTW - down here (Maryland).. even the piles of snow are gone... 19c yesterday with 65 mph winds. :(

Well... we're not leaving for over two weeks yet (loop leaves North Bay going north on 3/1)... According to the NNTA website, updated today, the trails did survive and are OPEN. :woot:

BTW - down here (Maryland).. even the piles of snow are gone... 19c yesterday with 65 mph winds. :(

A snowmobiler from Maryland.. Are you like the coolest guy in the state or what :woot::woot::woot:

Have a good trip..

gwilburn... Not sure about the North Bay side of things but I did a quick up and back with a long haul friend to Sudbury and things appear to have survived quite nicely. If NB is light for snow head west to Sudbury French River area. :woot::woot::woot:

I drove by some of our trails and viewed them from several spots where they crossed the highways and the hard packed base looks quite good but until we get a few nights of good freeze, like tonight at -13C, there will be some low lying areas and swamps that will have lots of standing water. Trout Lake, One Mile Bay & Four Mile Bay will probably be like a skating rink and NB301 at the North River and Balsam Creek will probably be flooding and possibly impassable.

We'll update when we can.

BB - NBSC

A snowmobiler from Maryland.. Are you like the coolest guy in the state or what :woot::woot::woot:

Have a good trip..

Believe it or not, there are quite a few of us die-hards down here... so only those of us who rode across 1/2 click across a local lake (in the summer) are considered "cool" (acutally, most think we've lost our mind)

The reports sound good considering... thanks.

Our North Bay trails are hard with icy corners but fairly smooth. Groomers can't do anything until we get some snow or mild weather, both of which are forecast for Wed & Thurs (15 cm of snow forecast).

The lakes are icy and not much lubrication for the hyfax. Studs might be useful for the present conditions although things are supposed to improve.

The NNTA Interactive Trail Map is supposed to be working but it wasn't as of today.

Check out our website at

We rode the trails from North Bay to the north and east this weekend. Sure there was some snow lacking around town but all in all the trails were just fine. Give them a bit of snow and they will be back to 100%. Thanks for the hard work that the clubs in the area have put in. It really does show!

Thanks Lex, we've had a great year around North Bay except for the last few days. We've done a lot of work signing this year, RAN & RAP Tour signs, Food, Fuel & Accomodation with arrows and kms as well as Destination signing and of course the normal Slow & Arrow signs on the trail. In addition our new website is a big improvement as we can update Trail Conditions and Club News in only a few minutes. We're hoping to utilize the GPS Maps (under Trail Conditions) to better inform everyone on Trail Conditions and problem areas.

Hopefully this snowfall forecast for Wednesday & Thursday will get us back in top condition.

BB - NBSC

At least 15 cm last night and I was out riding today (Thursday) The snow is very dry and will be hard to pack. Sure helped the lakes although caution is still needed if you don't have picks as the snow doesn't stick to the glare ice. Another 5-10 cm in the forecast.

We had 15 - 20 cm of dry snow and all 3 NBSC Groomers have been out this week. North groomer did TOP AD north to A102Q and A102Q easterly to NB308 today. Lakes are in excellent shape but don't try any sharp turns, it's glare ice under the dry snow.

The dry snow is going to be very difficult to pack but the trails are still in good condition.

Lots of our American friends here from MI, PA & OH.

Snowing hard north of town today. Trails along 11 looked AOK.

We had 15 - 20 cm of dry snow and all 3 NBSC Groomers have been out this week. North groomer did TOP AD north to A102Q and A102Q easterly to NB308 today. Lakes are in excellent shape but don't try any sharp turns, it's glare ice under the dry snow.

The dry snow is going to be very difficult to pack but the trails are still in good condition.

Lots of our American friends here from MI, PA & OH.

Your "friends from MD" will be up this weekend. Leaving NB for a 5-day loop on Sunday 3/1... trying to decide whether to leave from Travelodge on Seymour or try out the Clarion @ Pinewood Park... that place looks a bit nicer (bigger beds etc.)... any opinions?

My wife and I did 160 kms this Tuesday afternoon (even doing signing) and the North Bay & Bonfield trails are mint, all freshly groomed and super hard after -24C last night. I've never seen the trails as good as there are right now. A102Q, NB308, TOP A are absolutely perfect. Even my wife was doing 65 kmh but don't tell her as her speedo is busted (thnk goodness). Add Doneer Bell on BF201 to a list of great places to eat.

BB

speedo is busted

Hey WildBill,

Next time you have a certain sledder's snowmobile in the shop, we need to talk. :lol:

Sorry bbakernbay - did not intend to hijack thread. Sounds like a great ride. We may head out your way weekend after next - March 7th and will keep an eye on this post. Thanks.

Did North Bay not get the snow like they did over in Evil's neighbourhood?

Archived