Haliburton Forst Update

Canuck

We have snowmobiled at Haliburton Forest the past two weekends.

The 'main trails' are open (mostly unused roads) and some side trails that don't involve creek crossings were open. You can sled all day - a great early season ride.

Boxing Day rain did not reduce trails to mud, etc. Just packed the snow down. The heavy rain did not start until 1 pm. Saturday, probably because the trails are in the 'highlands' and seem to have a different weather pattern than lower lying lands.

Sledjunk and Moosifer stayed through Sunday (today) and may have more input on how the trails held up.

P.S. - Ms. Canuck and I are the most recent victims of sledding (swimming) with Sledjunk. Nothing stops Sledjunk or Moosifer. Not sleet, nor snow, nor rain - or lots of rain. I recommend you pack a snorkel if sledding with these guys :lol:

Thanks for the update.. How does your wife like her snow snowmobile? See you soon.. Rick

What's a "snow Snowmobile"? Does it make snow as you ride?? :poke:

Thanks for the update.. How does your wife like her snow snowmobile? See you soon.. Rick

His fingers stutter :wtf:

:poke: :poke:

Or waaaaaater snowmobile.......(HM)(ER)...... :wavey::wavey:

She's riding the Apex. Loves it.

I'm on the 2 up Venture. Being passed by yahooos ;)

P.S. - Ms. Canuck and I are the most recent victims of sledding (swimming) with Sledjunk. Nothing stops Sledjunk or Moosifer. Not sleet, nor snow, nor rain - or lots of rain. I recommend you pack a snorkel if sledding with these guys :lol:

That is Moosifer's initiation ritual for new female riding partners. :poke: :poke:

We brought his sister along for her inaugural sledding adventure and boy did it rain on Saturday. The roof of one of the buildings had about 30 inches of snow on it when we arrived on Friday. By this morning, it had about 2 inches and we figured that we may as well pack up and go home.

Moosifer took the rental sled across the road to the Forest (sacrificial Ski-Doo) and came back and reported the the trails looked rideable. We suited up and put in another few hours of riding. Most of the trails held up but had lost a lot of the base. There were numerous windfalls that had occurred and we actually had to clear 5 or 6 of these to get by.

All in all, it was a great weekend and we even participated in an intervention. :poke: :poke:

BTW, Here are a couple of pics of the newbie.

DSCN0174.jpg

DSCN0175.jpg

Looks like you had a good time despite the weather conditions! With colder temps and snow in the forecast for this week - hopefully the trails will recover sooner - rather than later....I am doooing my snow dance! The neighbours are starting to wonder about me :wtf:

:wavey:

thanks for the report

Or waaaaaater snowmobile.......(HM)(ER)...... :wavey::wavey:

Hey, my sled didn't go down, just me...... :confused:

Thanks for the update sj hopefully they get some more snow i was going to try and go next weekend.

As you can see from the pictures (taken Sat., I believe) the trails were pretty good. Call the Haliburton Forest office before you go.

Looks like you had a good time despite the weather conditions! With colder temps and snow in the forecast for this week - hopefully the trails will recover sooner - rather than later....I am doooing my snow dance! The neighbours are starting to wonder about me :wtf:

What do you mean starting to wonder about you??? :poke: Far too late for that... :P :P

What do you mean starting to wonder about you??? :poke: Far too late for that... :P :P

I have to agree with you on this one irREVerent! I was thinking the same thing.

Archived