Just How Would You Reply to This????

Dirtbag

While we have this whole can of worms open. Why does every club and district have their own distinct website? I'm sure it makes sense at the club level, but it makes no sense to the rider. One site that encompasses everything would be much more useful and lot less work to maintain overall.

Nothing wrong with writing a blurb stating present conditions, challenges or success's on your website. This will enhance public perspective without giving actual information which may or may not be used in a lawsuit!

I have been part of the MSR for awhile and particularly the DU-YA wanna club.( a name which I thought meant something else but I already paid for memebership and they wouldn't give a dam refund). The way in which they groom, make trails and conduct business is not one I am a fan of. That being said i wont belittle them as I know they are all volunteers and as such I will not complain.

That being said I see nothing wrong with the actual subject of the email but the way it was written was ridiculous.

Better to update the site than repsond to emails. Be they stupid or supportive.

p.s. Im sorry for the email. I had a few too many! :P

IN TIME, I wonder if it will move towards a 'user posts' system.

The rider really only wants to know two things:

1. [*:1vvzkg29]Are the trails open?
    [*:1vvzkg29]If no, why aren't they open? (optional: What can I do to help speed up that process?)

Once the trails are officially open, updates are not really important at all. I'm not sure someone who does not have close club communication can ever correctly answer those questions.

We can only post, closed, limited or open for trail "status" as its now called for reasons alluded to in a earlier post. I send mine to the district(mrs.Indy :wavey: ) then the district updates the ofsc site.

That's not exactly true. For instance, from the D5 page:

The Shade St access trail in and out of New Hamburg is closed for this season. Please stay off the landowners fields as they are strung with electric fence.

That looks like a pretty important message too me, Im just saying what they asked for at the begginning of report season, obviously important messages of safety they would want.

I really wasnt trying to fool you :poke: :wavey:

DU-YA wanna club.( a name which I thought meant something else but I already paid for memebership and they wouldn't give a dam refund).

20 years of sledding, and I never 'read it' that way. :lol:

DU-YA wanna club.( a name which I thought meant something else but I already paid for memebership and they wouldn't give a dam refund).

It took me two years and three arrests to figure out I was wrong! :wtf:

Who knew! :wtf:

So many questions.....so little time

As for the original post...would i reply to him ...no his mind is made up. However he does have some valid points.

Are there many average sledders out there that don't know why the trails aren't open and have bought a permit and are ready to ride? I bet there is lot of them, could we do a better job of communicating with them...yes. However this takes volunteer time and communication within the Club that many of the Clubs can not manage.

As someone who has built and manages both a Club web site and a District web site and have also updated the OFSC web site for our district for years i have a bit of in site in this.

In the early years i gathered info from my Club and edited a web page and uploaded it for viewing(sometimes daily), this does take some time and some skills in web pages. Everyone i talked to loved the details. Eventually it became a PTA to keep doing all the editing and gathering of information.

Eventually i developed the District web set and set up a bulletin board(just like we are using here), this made it really easy for not only me to do updates but others could also post their information. We post whatever the Clubs send us and the average joe can also post his/her comments and trail reports. Some people think we should only post wording on District web sites similar to that of the OFSC site...to them i say good luck with that, it's a battle you won't win.

So why does the OFSC site only say open closed limited ...yada yada and has no details?

Because the OFSC and it's lawyers and risk management people feel that the reports could make them liable if the report stated something that was incorrect and it could be used in court against them. Hey it's "their" web site, their rules so they get what they want. Does it help the average Joe trying to find out info on a certain area.....no... does it aid the Clubs in communication with the riders of their trails...no.

So my suggestion to you and your Club or District is to set up a message board and that would give you an easy place to post information and help settle down some angry riders and it could help to promote your Club and increase permit sales.....

We can only post, closed, limited or open for trail "status" as its now called for reasons alluded to in a earlier post. I send mine to the district(mrs.Indy :wavey: ) then the district updates the ofsc site.

That's not exactly true. For instance, from the D5 page:

The Shade St access trail in and out of New Hamburg is closed for this season. Please stay off the landowners fields as they are strung with electric fence.

That looks like a pretty important message too me, Im just saying what they asked for at the begginning of report season, obviously important messages of safety they would want.

I really wasnt trying to fool you :poke: :wavey:

He is right it does say more than the open closed thing but it's not what we are told to post, it is however a very important message.

start a "breaking news" blog and link to it from the home page of the website. The blog can easily be updated from any PC at any time by anyone with a password who is set up as a contributer. Just a thought.....

I’m a bit hesitant to jump in on this, but this is one of the reasons I don’t volunteer anymore, too many people who don’t want to help telling me how I should spend (more of) my free time bringing information on their lap, in all likelihood to complain some more…the individual has some valid points in this letter but went about it in a very destructive way.

Skidooer and I had a discussion about this last season, he had what I felt was a viable proposal, and I brought his proposal forward to the VIA (Volunteers in Action) Committee at the OFSC. For reasons I can’t recall right now, it was put off for further discussion, as I am not involved anymore I do not know where it stands.

Suggestions about getting the message out via the Internet sound good in principle, however in reality it requires an individual who can dedicate time every day for this purpose. The vast majority of volunteers that I recruited were by word of mouth, from communications via a bi-weekly column that I used to write in the Pembroke Observer and our clubs website. In most cases they weren’t on the Internet visiting message boards, other than the OFSC site. Clubs such as Port Perry (Nutter) do an exceptional job in communication and recruiting help through their website and the message boards, very proud grass-roots volunteers, along with Dave in District 5, every club needs a Nutter (!). I do agree that it is disheartening to hear when someone wants to help and doesn’t get a call back, but as someone who used to volunteer too many hours for nothing, I didn’t need to spend more limited free time on the phone in the evenings, due to similar commitments that non-volunteers have. Most folks that I called back never showed up to help when the help was needed.

Yes, most clubs need new volunteers who can spend a little time and a lot of time, big, small, ya need ‘em all. I never looked for someone to post something on the Internet or call me, I went to a club meeting and showed up to help, the rest is (ancient, thankfully) history…

Kudos to Dirtbag for trying to take a positive from a negative situation and make things better through improved communication on behalf of MSR.

I’m a bit hesitant to jump in on this, but this is one of the reasons I don’t volunteer anymore, too many people who don’t want to help telling me how I should spend (more of) my free time bringing information on their lap, in all likelihood to complain some more…the individual has some valid points in this letter but went about it in a very destructive way.

Skidooer and I had a discussion about this last season, he had what I felt was a viable proposal, and I brought his proposal forward to the VIA (Volunteers in Action) Committee at the OFSC. For reasons I can’t recall right now, it was put off for further discussion, as I am not involved anymore I do not know where it stands.

Suggestions about getting the message out via the Internet sound good in principle, however in reality it requires an individual who can dedicate time every day for this purpose. The vast majority of volunteers that I recruited were by word of mouth, from communications via a bi-weekly column that I used to write in the Pembroke Observer and our clubs website. In most cases they weren’t on the Internet visiting message boards, other than the OFSC site. Clubs such as Port Perry (Nutter) do an exceptional job in communication and recruiting help through their website and the message boards, very proud grass-roots volunteers, along with Dave in District 5, every club needs a Nutter (!). I do agree that it is disheartening to hear when someone wants to help and doesn’t get a call back, but as someone who used to volunteer too many hours for nothing, I didn’t need to spend more limited free time on the phone in the evenings, due to similar commitments that non-volunteers have. Most folks that I called back never showed up to help when the help was needed.

Yes, most clubs need new volunteers who can spend a little time and a lot of time, big, small, ya need ‘em all. I never looked for someone to post something on the Internet or call me, I went to a club meeting and showed up to help, the rest is (ancient, thankfully) history…

Kudos to Dirtbag for trying to take a positive from a negative situation and make things better through improved communication on behalf of MSR.

Sounds like you "burned out " thanks for your help .

This has been one of the best posts on this site lately.Very good info,and not one hijack{yet}even UTS stayed on topic. :wavey: Well mostly. ;)

That's because club issues are taken very seriously. There is really nothing funny about these type of communications to a club of Volunteers. Can we run Volunteer organizations be better sometimes, yes of course. Is there a range of performance for the clubs, yes. Sometimes there are volunteers that have been volunteering for so long and have seen so much of this type of non-appreciative crap, that they have lost site of there true goals for volunteering in the first place. None the less, they volunteer their time and make a greater effort than anyone that would write that email. So, either help out, provide constructive polite input, or shut up!

Volunteers have my personal appreciation for all that they do in having this great trail system for a mere $180 a year!

Notice I didn't say the word Thanks?

This has been one of the best posts on this site lately.Very good info,and not one hijack{yet}even UTS stayed on topic. :wavey: Well mostly. ;)

That's because club issues are taken very seriously. There is really nothing funny about these type of communications to a club of Volunteers. Can we run Volunteer organizations be better sometimes, yes of course. Is there a range of performance for the clubs, yes. Sometimes there are volunteers that have been volunteering for so long and have seen so much of this type of non-appreciative crap, that they have lost site of there true goals for volunteering in the first place. None the less, they volunteer their time and make a greater effort than anyone that would write that email. So, either help out, provide constructive polite input, or shut up!

Volunteers have my personal appreciation for all that they do in having this great trail system for a mere $180 a year!

Notice I didn't say the word Thanks?

Yeh you kinda did :poke: In a Bill Clinton kind of way.

Well I like Du Ya Wanna...better than what I often hear the other half "Do you Hafta?

I feel a need to respond. I agree with the idea that some of the points of the email are valid. I, like most of us this time of year, sit down in front of a computer and look for any little bit of information that shows signs that I can get out there and ride. I look at OFSC, club web sites, I check the weather all over Onatrio, I look for ice conditions on fishing web sites, web cams, anywhere I can find something I'm looking. For me it's part of the excitement, and, quite honestly, when all of the indications from all of those sources are encouraging and I get to a snowmobiling web site and the last update was the end of the previous season, I get a little frustrated.

With that said, I also have no idea what is involved in updating the information. I cannot say enough for the efforts of the volunteers, without them we would not be able to continue. I do my best to thank them whenever I can, I think that's all I can do, for those of you reading; Thank you for your efforts and allowing me to be able to continue enjoying this sport!

Just my .02 hope you all have a great season. We'll be out there soon.

Trying to be neutral. But also with an understanding of what it takes to open a trail system, perhaps I might offer some suggestions.

Often just keeping a website current and updated frequently appeases people. I learned that in a corporate communications course I took recently. What people often look at are the items on a website that change, or improve. Like when you log onto OC. You look for new posts that catch your eye. Like this one.

I also understand it takes somebody with some website experience to update information. Yes, another volunteer duty or obligation..I am not sure which. :coffeespit:

Perhaps by posting what is happening within the club, it might diffuse nonsense like that e mail :banghead: . Weekly trail updates are critical communication updates. Do them before Friday at 5 P.M. too. That way people can plan their weekends, so perhaps a Thursday evening update is what is called for.

You never really see too much information out there about what it takes to open a trail system. So a page of education on this topic alone would be beneficial. :!:

My last two points are that it might help of the club posts recent meeting minutes and a calendar of events. That way people see what is going on behind the scenes and the shear amount of time it takes to meet those objectives! Also, if your club get's somebody interested in volunteering....call them back personally right away. Never let somebody slip away. They might be the right person to develop your website as opposed to breaking sweat on a trail.

Don't be discouraged by morons either. I often call our club or e mail to thank them for their work. I also take time to speak to the groomers if I come across one and thank them personally.

:)

Perfect example. The Haliburton Club has no updates since Dec 16th! Nothing at all.

I find that pictures tend to work when you throw it out to the public .

Came down the chain yesterday .

From our neighbour to the south Smart Club .

75_60fd94f02ed31a89789acd905e476985

2_b5028f2e7d6a7b78e78cf4569dd52428

2_6b78b2dd66bc0fd9f4e6558c0b6d29de

Hey thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input this topic has received, and certainly know I have a lot to learn.

Yukon, I checked out the baxter website, very good and some good information on the work being done on the trails, but I guess not everyone has the time to post those types of updates.. very good though.

I did at least notoice that the MSR has posted some more general information on their website, which at least should educate poeple a little more about why they are not open.. AND give them a chance to do somethign about it.

Here is what is on their site today:

Most MSR Trails Still CLOSED

Yellow alert means ride with extra caution in early season conditions and only on trails listed as Limited or Open.

Most trails throughout the MSR remain CLOSED. Please see below for details. Limited riding opportunities will slowly become available in areas. Clubs are out working hard at readying the trails for the season. The early snow falls have slowed down the progress of opening trails. The MSR clubs are having issues with down trees and many of the swamp/water areas are not frozen for safe passing/riding.

Please Respect our Landowners/Private Property Owners and stay off all CLOSED trails. Any use of CLOSED trails without the Landowners permission is TRESPASSING and could result in trails permissions being revoked.

If you would like to volunteer your time in helping your club with readying the trails for the season, please call our office at 1-800-328-7245 or 705-645-3123 and we would be happy to direct you in the right direction.

So I think that is a start. I have offered to help them with more frequent postings if they want to go down that road, but I understand from the replies on this topic that there are some legal issues surround how much info is posted, so we will just have to see,

Thanks again all... see you out there

Archived