Just How Would You Reply to This????

Dirtbag

Hey Folks. The MSR just received the following email, and needless to say, it has those who work for the region and volunteer so much of their time kinda ticked.

Now the easy thing is to ignore this individual, as one bad apple should not spoil the bunch, but regardless of the tone of his email, I do feel that there is a bigger underlying issue regarding the amount of communication.

As most of us know, there is a lot of work that needs to be done to open up trails, particularily in a region that crosses so many swamps etc... The truly uninformed believe that just because there is a lot of snow, that this instantly means that the trails should be open. They clearly don't know that too much snow too early before the frost gets in the ground causes problems, and a lot of snow and wind brings down trees that need to be cleared...

So my questions are as follows:

1. How would you reply to this email, or would you even bother?

2. What is your opinion on the level of communication provided by the MSR for district 7.

3. Do you have any suggestions of how to provide better information to the general public to ensure that they are better informed?

Here's the email... :angry::angry::angry:

Sent: December 10, 2008 6:21 PM

To: info@msrsnowtrails.com

Subject:

One would think,with this much snow on the ground,and being half way into December,that at the very very least,you would have something in the newsletter.

Probably just another indication of the lack of action from this region over the years.

Are we to expect another year of missed opportunities and excuses?

If y'all are unwilling to actually DO something,maybe it would be an idea to at least talk about it...might show that this group has a little enthusiam for the sport.Have a look around the net,and U will find almost all other Ontario clubs have got info on current conditions and work in progress,trail specific,not just a series of red squares and warnings.Hard to attract folks to the sport,and the area,when faced with this lack of information.

Any other business would be getting the public interested long before the official start of the season.Considering how much harder it will be this year to attract folks to our tourist area ,what with the nasty economy and all,it might make sense to TRY.

No trees have been cleared,signs put up or any other indications that the trails have had any attention(this aftrnoons' road tour of MLSTA shows this).

So....no need to reply...have heard it all before.

We sled elsewhere now,having given up on our "home team".

Sad....very sad.

JMHO as the guy who also answers our clubs emails, I understand your frustration, completly, but Im not sure posting this guys letter on a public forum with the idiot reference will help.

No offence intended, JMHO.

Good Luck, Todd

no offfence taken.. . that is why I did not post his name, and am asking for constructive advice about communciation techniqes..... got any advice on that as the person who answers your clubs emails?

update , removed the "idiot reference" in the title....

I have to agree with this individual to a certain extent. It would take two seconds to post on this site, or the OFSC site, as to why the trails are still closed and what can be done to speed up the process. That is all he is asking for; albeit not in most cordial manner.

If you really want to spend some time writing a message, write a message addressed to all snowmobilers explaining why the trails aren't ready. Post the dates the trails are being cleared/staked and whatever else we may be able to do to help. And submit the result to this forum.

I understand keeping the public up to date takes precious volunteer time. But surely it would take less time than constantly having to answer emails/phone calls like this?

Trying to be neutral. But also with an understanding of what it takes to open a trail system, perhaps I might offer some suggestions.

Often just keeping a website current and updated frequently appeases people. I learned that in a corporate communications course I took recently. What people often look at are the items on a website that change, or improve. Like when you log onto OC. You look for new posts that catch your eye. Like this one.

I also understand it takes somebody with some website experience to update information. Yes, another volunteer duty or obligation..I am not sure which. :coffeespit:

Perhaps by posting what is happening within the club, it might diffuse nonsense like that e mail :banghead: . Weekly trail updates are critical communication updates. Do them before Friday at 5 P.M. too. That way people can plan their weekends, so perhaps a Thursday evening update is what is called for.

You never really see too much information out there about what it takes to open a trail system. So a page of education on this topic alone would be beneficial. :!:

My last two points are that it might help of the club posts recent meeting minutes and a calendar of events. That way people see what is going on behind the scenes and the shear amount of time it takes to meet those objectives! Also, if your club get's somebody interested in volunteering....call them back personally right away. Never let somebody slip away. They might be the right person to develop your website as opposed to breaking sweat on a trail.

Don't be discouraged by morons either. I often call our club or e mail to thank them for their work. I also take time to speak to the groomers if I come across one and thank them personally.

:)

Rick, its the appearance of being professional, the guy sees it here and thinks "well they really are a bunch of aholes", or someone else sees this and wont write with their concerns as they are worried it will end up all over the net.

I would love to expose everyone of these morons, but not with our club name attatched to it, as a group its not my place.

Dirt, my first reaction as always would be like yours, or to write the FU ahole letter back to him. But I have enough people reminding me to "be nice" when I respond to these that I would either ignore it, as he requests, or send him the "thank you for your interest in our club" blah, blah. I get reminded Im signing most of these with the clubs name, not mine.

Cheers, Todd

Rick, its the appearance of being professional, the guy sees it here and thinks "well they really are a bunch of aholes", or someone else sees this and wont write with their concerns as they are worried it will end up all over the net.

Ok, but I am trying turn this negative into a positive by asking how to fix the route of the problem. I hope this person does read this on this forum and see's that despite me thinking he's an a-hole for the manner in which he wrote the email, I am still trying to learn from the problem and improve things...

1. How would you reply to this email, or would you even bother? I wouldn't bother. He is closed to discussion.

2. What is your opinion on the level of communication provided by the MSR for district 7. The info on the OFSC website is clear. MLST is the Bala area. Trail conditions appear there.

3. Do you have any suggestions of how to provide better information to the general public to ensure that they are better informed? Info is fine.

This area is our 'home team' as well, since sledding from Six Mile lake means - north to Bala then Gravenhurst, or north west -2- Parry Sound.

It is 'boggy' and 'swampy' , and probably one of the more challenging areas for grooming. I won't even touch Bala itself.. open water everywhere.

Others may have technical details on type of groomers that 'fit' this trail system etc., and perhaps limitations due to weight and ice conditions.

My only other comment - Last year, the Bala trails were the best they've been in years.

4 or 5 of us (led by Doonut) even went there on a late ride in March..... the trails were wonderful.

I have to agree with this individual to a certain extent. It would take two seconds to post on this site, or the OFSC site, as to why the trails are still closed and what can be done to speed up the process. That is all he is asking for; albeit not in most cordial manner.

If you really want to spend some time writing a message, write a message addressed to all snowmobilers explaining why the trails aren't ready. Post the dates the trails are being cleared/staked and whatever else we may be able to do to help. And submit the result to this forum.

I understand keeping the public up to date takes precious volunteer time. But surely it would take less time than constantly having to answer emails/phone calls like this?

I have to be clear here, I am not a member of the club. but someone who has started volunteering, and perhaps might end up being the person who helps with their communications.. Does anyone know what is involved in updating the OFSC and how much detail can be provided?

I also understand it takes somebody with some website experience to update information.

Not really. At least it doesn't have to be that way. I've suggested starting a (volunteered) project to improve communication between the riders and the clubs, but there was no interest and it ultimately died on the table.

Like I said, I can understand why a volunteer wouldn't want to spend time updating the public. But when the questions are coming in anyway, is it not easier to just do it once and get it over with?

4 or 5 of us (led by Doonut) even went there on a late ride in March..... the trails were wonderful.

Ya that was an awesome bonus day!!!!!!!!! I think DB has a good question and the replies have been good.. The fact that he is looking for a proper rely means he is taking the question serious.... I would like to know if the email writer was a volunteer that gives his own time to get the job done.. My guess is that he isn`t because if he was, he would know the answer to his questions..

So, I would ignore the whiney free-loader..

I also take time to speak to the groomers if I come across one and thank them personally.

:)

Driving back from the cottage, a groomer was crossing the highway. I stopped the car, he slowed down and I said 'thank you'.

Handed him a bottle of wine, and said thanks, again.

(in these 'politically correct' times, some might frown on a bottle of wine in a groomer. But, heck - it was corked, etc. I thought about it, even asked him if it way ok.. he said it was. Common sense wins the day :) ).

The info used to be better before the world started using it as a basis for lawsuits :banghead:

That is a good point. But if that is the case it should be widely known that is the reason why information is withheld. That way the people can bitch to the government instead of the clubs.

Does anyone know what is involved in updating the OFSC and how much detail can be provided?

We can only post, closed, limited or open for trail "status" as its now called for reasons alluded to in a earlier post. I send mine to the district(mrs.Indy :wavey: ) then the district updates the ofsc site.

Does anyone know what is involved in updating the OFSC and how much detail can be provided?

We can only post, closed, limited or open for trail "status" as its now called for reasons alluded to in a earlier post. I send mine to the district(mrs.Indy :wavey: ) then the district updates the ofsc site.

ok, I understand the trail status reporting guidelines, but is there anywhere to posted other info about the work that is being done, upcoming opportunities to volunteer or that a certain trail isn't open because a swamp is still open etc etc?

ok, I understand the trail status reporting guidelines, but is there anywhere to posted other info about the work that is being done, upcoming opportunities to volunteer or that a certain trail isn't open because a swamp is still open etc etc?

Here....

That's not exactly true. For instance, from the D5 page:

The Shade St access trail in and out of New Hamburg is closed for this season. Please stay off the landowners fields as they are strung with electric fence.

This would be the prefect place to say something like "Trails are closed because of fallen trees. Cleanup crew going out on Saturday, Dec. 20th. at 9:00AM. Meet at clubhouse.", for example. Is there a legal reason why this cannot be done?

I noticed that OFSC actually links to MSR website. You may 'only' have to update MSR website.

Extract from OFSC below

Trail Status

Print Trail Status Report

Last Modified

A) District 7 - Muskoka - Closed

All trails through out the Muskoka area - D7 are CLOSED.

Bala - MLSTA - Closed

All trails are CLOSED. Please visit our website Muskoka Snowmobile Region (and user then clicks on MSR link )which leads to the following

Bracebridge - Muskoka Sno-Bombers Trail # 32 User Comments - "Hasn't seen a groomer in days"

etc.

The 'good' trails would get lots of use, the others less so. Would the 'good' trails get mashed? - yes. But, at least riders (who have access to info) wouldn't start 1 hour down a good trail only to be met with "It seemed like a good idea at the time".

As far as Im aware, thats all the OFSC wants.

We have our own website (which I could certianly do a better job updating) and a district site to post more detailed stuff on. It also has VOL., forums, events etc for all of district 5.

This takes time and people, a fact Im quite familiar with :wavey: :poke:

Todd

Archived