Searchmont - 2022-2023

Dan-Senior

Searchmont

Riding was good in Searchmont tonight.  Plenty of snow!

searchmont.jpg

• Like 5

Searchmont

Some video footage from tonight's bush ride in Searchmont

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nice Dan! Ski

• Like 1

North of Sault Ste Marie

A few more photos of nighttime riding north of Sault Ste. Marie.  The feather-lite fan-cooled sled served its purpose for early-season riding.

nighttime snow.jpg

nighttime.jpg

Searchmont Snowmobilingt.jpg

• Like 6

Fresh Night-Time Video Footage from Searchmont Ontario

• Like 5

On 12/3/2022 at 11:58 AM, Dan-Senior said:

Fresh Night-Time Video Footage from Searchmont Ontario

Looks like you could use a headlight upgrade on that sled of yours!

Do you guys encounter much water on your early runs?

15 hours ago, stoney said:

Looks like you could use a headlight upgrade on that sled of yours!

Do you guys encounter much water on your early runs?

No, minimal water in this part of Ontario.  The high hills and mountainous terrain allows the water to flow down to the creeks.  The logging roads and bush trails are elevated out of the flood zone, so once there's enough snow, we can ride.  I run the fan-sled in pre-season, due to its lightness.

As for the headlight, I do have a Xenon in inventory and will install it.  This is one of my backup sleds, so it doesn't get alot priority.

Hopefully snow is heading your way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan-Senior said:

No, minimal water in this part of Ontario.  The high hills and mountainous terrain allows the water to flow down to the creeks.  The logging roads and bush trails are elevated out of the flood zone, so once there's enough snow, we can ride.  I run the fan-sled in pre-season, due to its lightness.

As for the headlight, I do have a Xenon in inventory and will install it.  This is one of my backup sleds, so it doesn't get alot priority.

Hopefully snow is heading your way.

Very good - sounds like an ideal scenario!

In the video you can really tell the difference between your sled and the headlight vs. your partner with the newer machine.

Considering the night time riding and early season, seeing ahead of you is a good option to have!

440 fan doesn't scoot along quite as quick as an 850 Liquid.

But I added a helmet light for that type of riding after dark.

• Like 1

Snowmobiling at Searchmont today.  I took the fan-cooled sled for snow-depth safety, however, the liquid would have been ideal.  

• Like 4

Searchmont this afternoon.  Snow depth is still reasonable. We put on 50 kms today. Lakes and creeks are starting to freeze across.  Some moose and wolf tracks along the way.

Searchmont Snowmobiling Dec 12th.jpg

• Like 13

Today's snowmobile ride at Searchmont. Temperature was -10 when we started this morning. We seen 3 deer, 0 moose, 0 wolves, 1 grouse throughout the day.

• Like 6

Vicariously....

^^^ x2

Curious how many people are going to ride out of Searchmont up to Wawa without halfway haven this year. I'm thinking through how much gas we'd need to carry to do it. That's one of my favorite stretches of trail.

• Like 1

In my opinion... the same amount you would buy, at HH to make it to either wawa or searchmont. anything less, and you may put yourself in a pickle.

personally, I am not willing to take the gamble in there, with running out of fuel. yes, I know some of the latest gen 4strokes can make it with less than 3 gallons but, I know our 2018 800 2t sleds cannot.

I know some of the shortcuts but, not like scott @AC+YA so, I wouldnt try this with our group. your results may vary.

For the time you spend driving from the soo, to searchmont (about 40 minutes, or so, one way) you could be in wawa, in 90 more minutes, and start there. supposedly they are utilizing a shorter route to get to Chapleau, from Wawa, to keep that side of the loop "do-able". Ski

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2022 at 7:03 PM, skidooboy said:

In my opinion... the same amount you would buy, at HH to make it to either wawa or searchmont. anything less, and you may put yourself in a pickle.

personally, I am not willing to take the gamble in there, with running out of fuel. yes, I know some of the latest gen 4strokes can make it with less than 3 gallons but, I know our 2018 800 2t sleds cannot.

I know some of the shortcuts but, not like scott @AC+YA so, I wouldnt try this with our group. your results may vary.

For the time you spend driving from the soo, to searchmont (about 40 minutes, or so, one way) you could be in wawa, in 90 more minutes, and start there. supposedly they are utilizing a shorter route to get to Chapleau, from Wawa, to keep that side of the loop "do-able". Ski

That's a good point - I didn't think about Searchmont being a 40 minute drive.

A big part of the fun between Searchmont and Wawa is some of the places to play. With limited gas all that would be off-limits.

• Like 1

There was fresh powder in Searchmont, so we went out for a morning ride today.  Temperature was -5.

• Like 4