Which Trail is Quicker Dub1 or D108A heading South

Gadgetman

Dub1 is about 10KM longer, but may look quicker than D108A?

This years trip we have to go from Hearst to Wawa in 1 day, so looking for the quickest routes.

We'll take Dub5 if we make it in day light all the way to the end, otherwise it is the D trail. (No river in the dark.)

Capture.JPG

dub 1 is the only available option. D108a (in this example pic) will probably never be utilized again. and in the near future (after this year) dub 1 will be a lot slower, and different. this may (will) be the last year of using the roads. dub 5 is the Magpie reservoir, it is faster than the D trail but, not by much.

it is about a 250 mile (miles) day. get an early start, and no issues getting in before dark. Ski

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skidooboy said:

dub 1 is the only available option. D108a (in this example pic) will probably never be utilized again. and in the near future (after this year) dub 1 will be a lot slower, and different. this may (will) be the last year of using the roads. dub 5 is the Magpie reservoir, it is faster than the D trail but, not by much.

it is about a 250 mile (miles) day. get an early start, and no issues getting in before dark. Ski

thank you. Our normal start is 8AM sharp, is that early enough? If not too cold, I may elect that it is a trail side sandwich day, or repeat the wiener roast from a decade ago :-).

Cheers 

you will have plenty of time. gas, at Hornepayne, maybe a ride through, or coffee at Cindy's. then onto Dubreuilville, ride trhough, or lunch/coffee at the LOL! sports bar. if you take the D trail and not the Magpie, stop at the Big Bear in Hawk Junction, the best food in the area. then on to Wawa for your night stay.

if it were me, I would eat a big breakfast, hump down to the big bear, eat there, then you only have a 30 minute ride to your night time destination, with your belly full already. 

if you are planning a loop make sure you keep tabs on the Timmins club, they have a trail routing issue between Timmins and Foleyet. not sure if the big loop will be easy once you get there, or if it will be opened. Ski 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

you will have plenty of time. gas, at Hornepayne, maybe a ride through, or coffee at Cindy's. then onto Dubreuilville, ride trhough, or lunch/coffee at the LOL! sports bar. if you take the D trail and not the Magpie, stop at the Big Bear in Hawk Junction, the best food in the area. then on to Wawa for your night stay.

if it were me, I would eat a big breakfast, hump down to the big bear, eat there, then you only have a 30 minute ride to your night time destination, with your belly full already. 

if you are planning a loop make sure you keep tabs on the Timmins club, they have a trail routing issue between Timmins and Foleyet. not sure if the big loop will be easy once you get there, or if it will be opened. Ski 

Trip starts 26 Feb in NL, Cochrane, Hearst, wawa, timmins and back to NL. Doing it in the opposite direction to our normal direction. 

Good point on that last piece, I may book some alternate rooms if that section doesn't open at all. 

56 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Trip starts 26 Feb in NL, Cochrane, Hearst, wawa, timmins and back to NL. Doing it in the opposite direction to our normal direction. 

Good point on that last piece, I may book some alternate rooms if that section doesn't open at all. 

From Timmins SC F/B page Jan. 31:

Another dead end... we continued searching for a re-route option on the C101D today.
We had a group of 7 head out with a GPS, coordinates, a drone and the Prinoth hoping to find a trail. We got stopped at the end of a clear cut, with steep slopes and a large swamp.
Surveyors were also out today working on the permanent re-route for this trail to avoid all landowners. We hope to hear back from them shortly and will try to start work on this as soon as we can.
Thanks to everyone who came out today! If anyone has other options or ideas, please let us know.

The current trail marked red on the ITG is 57 km. in length. If they are planning a totally new replacement trail it would be hard to believe they could do it in 4 weeks but it would be great if they could, 

10 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

From Timmins SC F/B page Jan. 31:

Another dead end... we continued searching for a re-route option on the C101D today.
We had a group of 7 head out with a GPS, coordinates, a drone and the Prinoth hoping to find a trail. We got stopped at the end of a clear cut, with steep slopes and a large swamp.
Surveyors were also out today working on the permanent re-route for this trail to avoid all landowners. We hope to hear back from them shortly and will try to start work on this as soon as we can.
Thanks to everyone who came out today! If anyone has other options or ideas, please let us know.

The current trail marked red on the ITG is 57 km. in length. If they are planning a totally new replacement trail it would be hard to believe they could do it in 4 weeks but it would be great if they could, 

Agree. I'm making back-up hotel bookings today to reflect not being able to do the big loop. 

thank you.

13 hours ago, scottyr said:

I need to start re-routing my trip planned for the 21st now.

I reached out to the Timmins club. There may be a sled shuttle available for my group. They are looking into it and will get back to me. 

• Like 1