Haliburton Ride Suggestions

Chickey6.archived

Most trails are excellent in Haliburton. I would be cautious riding the #4 trail in Minden area as there is a lot of road riding and if conditions are not that great you will be wearing out your carbides in a hurry. I always enjoy riding the #9 trail out of Donald once there is enough snow. Very twisty and challenging trail. Mid Feb is usually the best time to ride the trails in Haliburton.

Jerry

Minden was a absolute disaster last year, construction and lack of snow. 

Due East might be consistently better with less traffic and avoiding minden might be a good idea too.....otherwise, head to Dorset, TP trails or ASC trails are usually great,  wolf loop is nice, Kearney for lunch or to Baysville.
B trail up to Whitney or Barry’s bay is a nice ride too,  as long as B trail is groomed....

Lots of restaurants all over the place. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, stoney said:

Due East might be consistently better with less traffic and avoiding minden might be a good idea too.....otherwise, head to Dorset, TP trails or ASC trails are usually great,  wolf loop is nice, Kearney for lunch or to Baysville.
B trail up to Whitney or Barry’s bay is a nice ride too,  as long as B trail is groomed....

Lots of restaurants all over the place. 

I second this here.

Also. E trail then e109 out to Lake St Peter can be a good run

Chickey, many here are uber experienced and sincerely wish to share their trail knowledge and experience. Go Bills highlighted the first caveat. For some sledders, 150 km of Haliburton sledding is a full day. For others 350 km is more to their liking. Generally, I concur with the advice to head east toward Bancroft/Lake St Peter. I have found great trails and less traffic in that direction, but the key factor to enjoying any trails is actual exact condition of the trail. That involves depth of snow, and quality of grooming relative to traffic volume. Haliburton is very rocky and hilly, which requires substantial snow depth to fill all the holes. Research, as best you can, on the ITG and on this forum leading up to your vacation week, and head where conditions are best, not where you decided on New Year's Eve to sled. Sometimes 60 km one direction or the other have a big effect on trail conditions. Know the weather forecast inside out. Some micro areas can handle February warm weather better than others. Know as much as possible what trails are side of the open road trails, and avoid them if there hasn't been recent snow. This might seem like a lot of preparation work, but It pays off in a better sledding experience. OC contributors on this forum will help steer you right regarding trail conditions up to and during your stay. In the right conditions, you are heading to a great sledding destination. Good luck with your week.

DSC00413.jpg

• Like 4

I would head towards Tall Pine trails, they do a great job!.  Trail 64, 65 and do the 66 loop (hopefully open this year)

Towards Whitney is a great ride also if it's groomed with nice scenery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1