Is the OFSC missing out

02Sled

Came across this and thought is the OFSC missing out on a source of revenue?

https://www.hardwoodskiandbike.ca/home-page-winter/groomer-tours/

Hardwood Ski & Bike has a total 40 km of trails. They are marketing groomer tours for $100 per person and up to 10 people at a time. Imagine... retrofit the groomers with an extra cabin and pick up a $1000 per groomer run in revenue. Change grooming from an expense to an income. Come to a downed tree and give them the Tom Sawyer experience... for an extra $10 they can help with clearing the tree from the trail.

Groomer-Winter.thumb.jpg.3d63d39e320ce12b0f6b4a9dcfc02bd9.jpg

Nope, the ofsc is comitted to providing and grooming trails. 

This has liability written all over it with steeped insurance rates. We have enough trouble with backlash, trying to sell permits at $190.

Cool idea and probably fun for some, but not at the cost of a $250,000 machine, that is a people mover vs a grooming machine. 

Probably best to have in the private sector, Haliburton forest comes to mind...

• Like 1

I think Mt Tremblant has something like this.  You can ride up the mountain after it closes, go to a cabin that has no hydro, just a wood stove, and have cheese fondue

I'm sure that this is just a slight extension for a ski hill that already takes skiers up more remote hills beyond the cable mechanism thingy...

Who wants to get in the back of a groomer and ride out into the bush to see the same thing the whole time.

This is for that mountain view from the top.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ox said:

I'm sure that this is just a slight extension for a ski hill that already takes skiers up more remote hills beyond the cable mechanism thingy...

Who wants to get in the back of a groomer and ride out into the bush to see the same thing the whole time.

This is for that mountain view from the top.

Hardwood is just outside of Barrie.  No mountain top view 

We considered this at one of our club events but we believed that OFSC liability insurance would not cover this if something happened and people were paying for a ride.

I doubt the OFSC would get the same interest as the Hardwood ski club.  The Hardwood experience is sold to new skiers and rentals. They can accommodate the family group of new skiers for a quaint afternoon.  

Short loop closed circuit without yahoos riding at break neck speed to run into.

Who do you know would pay $100 to ride in the back of a groomer on a snowmobile trail?   Most are on their sled riding if they can be.  

AFAIK its totally against OFSC policy, and insurance, to use the groomer to make income.

If a club does they can loose all sources of OFSC funding.

I spent 12 hours in a trail groomer riding shot gun that was packing then dragging for the first time of the year as a volunteer , it is no picnic !! especially as we had to keep getting in and out of the groomer to clear fallen trees. Can't see people paying for that. Now cat skiing out west is a different thing.

Edited by Muskoka Bill

1 hour ago, Muskoka Bill said:

I spent 12 hours in a trail groomer riding shot gun that was packing then dragging for the first time of the year as a volunteer , it is no picnic !! especially as we had to keep getting in and out of the groomer to clear fallen trees

Thank-you, it is defiantly more work then some people realize.