Darwin strikes again

Nith Valley Sledder

Don't be sorry the first post was informative, someone had to start the disrespectful one.

1 hour ago, marximuus said:

Don't be sorry the first post was informative, someone had to start the disrespectful one.

It may be cold but respect has nothing to do with it. People constantly make conscious decisions to put their lives in danger and lose. This wasn't an accident. It's getting really hard to feel sorry for stupid people. This happens every year and yet people don't learn.

Going out on ice this time of year would be considered by most to be a very poor or even "stupid" decision that puts both the people doing it and possible those that need to perform the search & rescue in danger, in this instance it cost a couple of lives during a time a of year where most are celebrating the season with family & friends.

I think many have likely made the same poor judgment, but are still lucky enough to be here to be able to talk about it......I know my brother & I once did & considered the decision that we made that night to be a very dumb one, but were lucky enough to be able to reflect on it!

Regardless, sad nevertheless no matter the circumstances and condolences to the family.

The best way to learn any activity is to study it at first and try to mentally project in one's mind what that particular activity would be like to experience before even attempting it in reality. In any activity, one needs to imagine what the worst case scenario could be when everything goes wrong. Murphy's Law, etc. 

When venturing out on the ice, no matter how safe conditions could or should be, things can go south. Do people realize the dynamics of the dying process and how quickly death can overcome a person immersed into freezing water and the attempts to pull yourself up and over the ice edge. If you are fortunate enough to crawl out, are you equipped to survive the cold exposure long enough to get to shelter ? There are demonstrations of ice water survival techniques at various snow shows, sporting shows, etc., but unfortunately, the word does not get out to everyone. 

Canada has the most lakes of any country in the world, and Ontario surely has a good percentage of them. Anyone venturing out onto the ice should be prepared with a good , water wicking floater suit, ice-picks and some awareness of what to do in the chance of going in.

As for sledders, this gear should be standard fare along with adequate studding and excellent carbides. I know this is always a subject of debate, but it frustrates me when I see fatalities that could have been averted with proper education, awareness and having the right equipment. Sorry for the ramble, but these stories sadden me greatly when I see these incredibly bad decisions made out of non-awareness. I am so sorry for the people and families involved. RIP.

46 minutes ago, stoney said:

Going out on ice this time of year would be considered by most to be a very poor or even "stupid" decision that puts both the people doing it and possible those that need to perform the search & rescue in danger, in this instance it cost a couple of lives during a time a of year where most are celebrating the season with family & friends.

I think many have likely made the same poor judgment, but are still lucky enough to be here to be able to talk about it......I know my brother & I once did & considered the decision that we made that night to be a very dumb one, but were lucky enough to be able to reflect on it!

Regardless, sad nevertheless no matter the circumstances and condolences to the family.

Should be a wake-up reminder to all.  Sad, but yes very very dumb.

People also should not forget the bold, they have families too.

1 hour ago, Cuyuna said:

Anyone venturing out onto the ice should be prepared with a good , water wicking floater suit, ice-picks and some awareness of what to do in the chance of going in.

As for sledders, this gear should be standard fare along with adequate studding and excellent carbides. I know this is always a subject of debate, but it frustrates me when I see fatalities that could have been averted with proper education, awareness and having the right equipment. Sorry for the ramble, but these stories sadden me greatly when I see these incredibly bad decisions made out of non-awareness. I am so sorry for the people and families involved. RIP.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of snowmobilers I see out on the ice that don't have floater suits and ice picks. The it could never happen to me people.

I have been part of the recovery squad . The image and subsequent attempts to revive will live with me forever. I do not find amusement in the darwin theory a 3 in the morning when it wakes me up. They were people that were loved they made a mistake leave it there please. 

Archived