How Long Do Sliders Last?

andreyboater

21 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Priced the same @ 104?

Actually I bought mine back in 2012 and still using them. If memory serves they were about $120.00 for the pair at that time.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Actually I bought mine back in 2012 and still using them. If memory serves they were about $120.00 for the pair at that time.

Same price at the Yamaha dealers:

https://yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=3&subGroupId=32&categoryId=216&itemId=2171

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

After 130 klicks on snowy trails Sun' you could see the greyish tinge to the snow on the rear portion of the rails.

This is a product of having taller lug tracks, longer travel suspensions and less idler wheels. Trails being groomed overnight causing tarmac-like surface doesn't help either. I hate riding a sled on super hard trails.  3 inches of snow never hurt anyone. 

1 minute ago, Denis007 said:

This is a product of having taller lug tracks, longer travel suspensions and less idler wheels. Trails being groomed overnight causing tarmac-like surface doesn't help either. I hate riding a sled on super hard trails.  3 inches of snow never hurt anyone. 

Denis, there was a lot of loose snow, but I know what you mean I hate riding on 'concrete' too.

11 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I'd rather ride on hard flat trails than see the groomer running through the day and the whoops back in the trail after only a few sleds pass. I just make an effort to get off the groomed edge but between the stakes  into the soft snow as often as possible when the trails are hard.

15 hours ago, revrnd said:

Denis, there was a lot of loose snow, but I know what you mean I hate riding on 'concrete' too.

All the loose snow in the world is great for cooling the rad but useless for the sliders unless the snow actually gets in there.  Nowadays you need a minimum of 1 1/2 to 2 inches of LOOSE powder (ie not packed and firmed up) to actually get into the sliders.  If everyone had 1" lug tracks that were worn down by 1/4" (like all my beaters) the slides wouldn't ever wear out. 

My 1 1/4" Ripsaw on the 800 is a different story.  It's fully clipped with no closed window like the old ones.  It only takes about a quarter to half a km of no scratchers to feel the drag of the slides getting soft and melting.  You feel it from the seat.  Drop the scratchers and it doesn't happen.  It's that much of a difference.  This is why everyone with a Renegade or a 129" sled riding with no scratchers wears out the sliders.  They get hot right at the point where the rail comes flat, at first point of contact to the ground.

6 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I'd rather ride on hard flat trails than see the groomer running through the day and the whoops back in the trail after only a few sleds pass. I just make an effort to get off the groomed edge but between the stakes  into the soft snow as often as possible when the trails are hard.

PLC, yes I get that, I'm referring to the concrete hard trail being harder to ride due to the carbides digging in so much, making the steering heavier, as compared to loose snow.  No-one wants to ride on moguls .. best real world scenerio would be groom in the evening, then have 2 to 3 inches of fresh snow by sunrise .... be paradise ...

10 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

All the loose snow in the world is great for cooling the rad but useless for the sliders unless the snow actually gets in there.  Nowadays you need a minimum of 1 1/2 to 2 inches of LOOSE powder (ie not packed and firmed up) to actually get into the sliders.  If everyone had 1" lug tracks that were worn down by 1/4" (like all my beaters) the slides wouldn't ever wear out. 

My 1 1/4" Ripsaw on the 800 is a different story.  It's fully clipped with no closed window like the old ones.  It only takes about a quarter to half a km of no scratchers to feel the drag of the slides getting soft and melting.  You feel it from the seat.  Drop the scratchers and it doesn't happen.  It's that much of a difference.  This is why everyone with a Renegade or a 129" sled riding with no scratchers wears out the sliders.  They get hot right at the point where the rail comes flat, at first point of contact to the ground.

PLC, yes I get that, I'm referring to the concrete hard trail being harder to ride due to the carbides digging in so much, making the steering heavier, as compared to loose snow.  No-one wants to ride on moguls .. best real world scenerio would be groom in the evening, then have 2 to 3 inches of fresh snow by sunrise .... be paradise ...

Ice scratchers are a must....they work great, when they are down and on snow of course!

On my Cats, I have stock sliders and only start to worry about them when the engine temp starts getting high.  The new gauge packages show a temp bar and I can watch slight changes and know before any type of warning lights come on or flash.

My sliders are less of an issue than the engine temp.  If engine running temp goes up, the scratchers go down.  Engine good - sliders good.

The YamaCats (7000 series) and the 3000 series have radiators mounted up front and will rarely have issues with engine temp, but the sliders will still meltdown and stick without scratchers.

I used to go through a set every year (3000 km approx)

Installed the Dupont sliders, and additional idler wheels.

Now on my 3rd year, with still a fair bit-o-meat on them.

The 03 Rev may in fact still have the original sliders on it, at 17+ thousand kms. The 99 I changed them only because I wanted yellow ones ... 13+k kms...

I couldn't tell you the last time that I replaced a set of sliders.

And we haven't changed sleds in > 10 yrs, until now....

We ride in the snow* and have scratchers. 

* Keep in mind, there is not s'posed to be any "irt" in "snow".

Archived