Fuel - Hearst to Longlac

sledjunk

Are there any updates to the fuel situation along this stretch?

There were reports earlier about a fuel stop near the turn south to Hornepayne, but nothing since.  Has this come to fruition, or is it still a 200+ Km run from Hearst without fuel?

22 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Are there any updates to the fuel situation along this stretch?

There were reports earlier about a fuel stop near the turn south to Hornepayne, but nothing since.  Has this come to fruition, or is it still a 200+ Km run from Hearst without fuel?

There is always Calstock which is much closer to that turn than Hearst.  You are about 23 miles from the corner of Hwy 11 and 631 when coming from gas at Calstock.  I think that puts you around 125 miles to gas in the city of Longlac.   Just not sure about store hours in Calstock to buy fuel.  We just ran from Halfway to Goulais River (Blueberry Motel and campgrounds) and went the long way over towards Chapleau and back on Toll Creek road pushing lots of dense snow for 20 miles on our Cats with no extra gas.  About 150 miles no problem.

I have not heard of any progress on a new fuel station/restaurant which was discussed. 

I figure I can manage about 200 KM most of the time, but last year. our trip from Goulais to Halfway had me coming in on fumes  (literally, I had .3 L left).  That was 180 Km but we were pushing a lot of fresh snow that day.  Longlac, even with a stop at Calstock would be tight unless we had perfect conditions.  Not something you can plan on :-(

22 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I figure I can manage about 200 KM most of the time, but last year. our trip from Goulais to Halfway had me coming in on fumes  (literally, I had .3 L left).  That was 180 Km but we were pushing a lot of fresh snow that day.  Longlac, even with a stop at Calstock would be tight unless we had perfect conditions.  Not something you can plan on :-(

Don't count on that fuel station at Mooseland anytime soon, there hasn't been any progress on that since the 1 tank has been installed this summer/fall.  

I did 220km on my 800 on break-in last spring on hard pack, I figure on getting at least that now.  Heck, I once got 195 km on my 670 before filling it up ... still had a few liters left ....

someone could call and ask if klotz lake camp will be open for fuel. they are about 30 (miles) east of longlac, to help the process, if you didn't want to back track to calstock. Ski

5 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

someone could call and ask if klotz lake camp will be open for fuel. they are about 30 (miles) east of longlac, to help the process, if you didn't want to back track to calstock. Ski

I was told at the sled show in Toronto by the district 15 governor, that klotz lake would have fuel and a side trail into there. But yes your right, one of us needs to call and find out.

39 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

I was told at the sled show in Toronto by the district 15 governor, that klotz lake would have fuel and a side trail into there. But yes your right, one of us needs to call and find out.

We did the trip over to Longlac and down through to Hornpayne before those trails last closed. We fueled in Calstock and again at Klotz Lake. The trail from the turn to Hornpayne on the A to Klotz Lake hadn't been groomed for quite some time. It wasn't really marked that well so we had some backtracking and getting around an open waterway to do as well as pushing snow in some areas. It's a good thing that Klotz Lake was there with fuel because we wouldn't have made Longlac without them.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We did the trip over to Longlac and down through to Hornpayne before those trails last closed. We fueled in Calstock and again at Klotz Lake. The trail from the turn to Hornpayne on the A to Klotz Lake hadn't been groomed for quite some time. It wasn't really marked that well so we had some backtracking and getting around an open waterway to do as well as pushing snow in some areas. It's a good thing that Klotz Lake was there with fuel because we wouldn't have made Longlac without them.

We did the same. We also had to deal w/ that open water. I posted on their Faceplant page asking about gas. 

If conditions are good, I have no problem with the distance.  However, for our trip last year, I used 180 Km as a 'safe' range.  Between the fresh snow on Day 1, and warm temps on Day 8, we had a couple of tense times.  One of our crew ran out about a klick short of Halfway.  Now I will use 160 Km as a safe range.  You can never predict what the conditions will be when you are planning a trip a month or two in advance.

38 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

If conditions are good, I have no problem with the distance.  However, for our trip last year, I used 180 Km as a 'safe' range.  Between the fresh snow on Day 1, and warm temps on Day 8, we had a couple of tense times.  One of our crew ran out about a klick short of Halfway.  Now I will use 160 Km as a safe range.  You can never predict what the conditions will be when you are planning a trip a month or two in advance.

Maybe you need to retrofit a larger fuel tank onto that yammie? You should be able to squeeze 250 out of it. Maybe clutching needs to be rebuild to restore fuel economy.  Yesterday 60o etec used 11 litres in 110 km's and 900 was around 14 litres (wish four stroke was better) etec just had clutching rebuilt now seeing some impressive fuel economy numbers and better throttle response. Night and day difference. With all km's you do, defiantly some improvement to be gained there. 

8 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Maybe you need to retrofit a larger fuel tank onto that yammie? You should be able to squeeze 250 out of it. Maybe clutching needs to be rebuild to restore fuel economy.  Yesterday 60o etec used 11 litres in 110 km's and 900 was around 14 litres (wish four stroke was better) etec just had clutching rebuilt now seeing some impressive fuel economy numbers and better throttle response. Night and day difference. With all km's you do, defiantly some improvement to be gained there. 

8 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Yah but his sled doesn't just quit on the trail when it feels like it

7 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Yah but his sled doesn't just quit on the trail when it feels like it

Yeah dealer fixed it they think. So far so good. Turned out to be an electric issue, new voltage regulator, coils and relays problem hasn't come back. No charge to me either. Wasn't gas after all. 

Archived