Sudbury Trails

soupkids

My wife and I are coming from Bracebridge. The Moonlight looks to be the one that is close but not really into loading and unloading every time I want to ride. Hopefully it will be good just unload and ride from there. If not looks like there are more options.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If staging from Moonlight or Chateau Guay, fuel up enroute. It's a bit of a goat path to get fuel near those hotels. 

As many have mentioned, the STP compound is great to stage from if there's no snow at the hotels. Not the preferred choice (trailering each day from hotel to STP yard), but we've done it for April sledding.

so where is the stp yard if your staying at the chateau?

Click on the link to 'Ontario snowmobile staging areas' below. You'll see 2 spots in Sudbury. It's the north east location (Garson, Ontario)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1QRP-gnPMbxseSN8lQlQ3MgmX718&hl=en_US&ll=44.79098784157655%2C-78.55925854999998&z=6

Or, on a computer/GPS look for this address (from a quick Google search):

Address: 3610 Regional Rd 86, Garson, ON P3L 1S5

_

My favourite place to stage late in the season is actually the SKEAD community centre. Let them know (email or call), park trailer for days  A few kms on a feeder trail and you're on the lake (Wannipitei) and then northern Ontario is yours to access.  Up to Gowganda, then across to Timmins or Cochrane. Avoids a lot of road rash. But I digress ...

17 hours ago, diesel04 said:

hey wondering if Sudbury is good place for day tripping out of. like leaving 9 or 10 and being back to motel by 5-6, not scared of 250km or more a day.

In a word, yes.  One of my favourite areas to ride.  Has enough services and good support and reference on the maps.  Lots of loop opportunities.

9 hours ago, Dirtbag said:

can you guys give us some tips for places to get fuel and eat on both loops?

heading up thurs night with 4 other guys.. staying at the Chateau..

Lots of info in Soupkid's post about fuel.  I prefer to fuel and eat at Rocky's rather than Sportsman, but avoid trail 64 into there.  Take the lake trail.

i hope things get better and that the trails survived...we have a whole group coming up thursday night.....     if I cant ride I think Im going to kill myself

Did you guys get a lot of rain? 

It did rain but trails survived.

Supposed to cool down tonight.

Son and I are going you ride tomorrow.

Destination ?

Unknown !

2 minutes ago, soupkids said:

It did rain but trails survived.

Supposed to cool down tonight.

Son and I are going you ride tomorrow.

Destination ?

Unknown !

Excellent! 

Scratches and studs will be a must.

I have scratchers but I'll never run studs. I'm sure by the weekend they'll have the trails cleaned up...

Not a matter of cleaning them up.

They will be solid ice.

For those who know the area, is there much road running on the loop that the onaping bridge is on? Doing that Sat. And can  we still get to the augista ice caves With the rain and the cold they should be amazing one would think. Sundays run.

5 minutes ago, Bearman said:

For those who know the area, is there much road running on the loop that the onaping bridge is on? Doing that Sat. And can  we still get to the augista ice caves With the rain and the cold they should be amazing one would think. Sundays run.

How do you get to the bridge and the ice caves?

Any Trail status updates now that the rain has come? I noticed a section of the D Trail is now red above Sudbury. Does anyone have new pictures or updates on how the trails held up?

9 hours ago, soupkids said:

Not a matter of cleaning them up.

They will be solid ice.

do you not think they'll be out grooming before the weekend?

if conditions are right, yes, which I suspect they will be out tonight.

Keep in mind everything is rock hard ice so grooming may cause damage to the trails and the equipment.

I'm heading out shortly for the day and will report back what I find.

Radar is currently showing snow through Sudbury right now...

12 hours ago, Bearman said:

Where yas staying dirtbag? Change of plans we might come up Friday afternoon come home Monday morning.

Staying at the Chateau Guay.  that and the moonlight are all booked up I think

staying thurs till sun

3 hours ago, Dirtbag said:

Staying at the Chateau Guay.  that and the moonlight are all booked up I think

staying thurs till sun

ya and its red form their doors...

Archived