Bruce Peninsula trails close because of asshats

dweese

13 minutes ago, BMR said:

Hkb82 do you know is it the complete B107 lost? just wondering as we have a cottage on Mallory Beach.

I think it's around the purple valley area between wiarton and hope bay section but I will find out 100% for you and post tomorrow 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite upsetting to lose such a nice area to ride

B107 is open from mallory beach to town but i just drove by and it hasn't been groomed lately. Sleds are running it The north junction that heads to lions head from cap crocker is the part we lost this if what I was told by a reliable source from the Wiarton Trailblazers.  Very sad indeed sledguy74

I am so disappointed in this news. I cherish the Bruce Peninsula and own a cottage that is right near where one of the land issues are. I think it's partially a misunderstanding of Bill 100. Some landowners feel this Bill has taken their security away and jeopardizes their ownership and control over their own property.  Some owners feel that if they allow people to use the trail then they will lose ownership over their property because people will just claim rights over the commonly used trails. It's the fear of self entitlement of many individuals. I respect the trails, the owners, and the nature you find along the trails.. however too many people go off trail or on them when closed.

Here is a good question. If the trail is closed, can we make a good ditch trail around the areas of question? What are the rules about riding along shoreline? Do owners of shore property own the shore? 

If we do not find a solution to these trail issues the winter tourist economy is going to crash further. The local business owners that rely on winter sales which is highly driven by snowmobilers will lose their business to more southern open trails such as Sauble Beach and lower. Communities above there will be at a stand still unless we find road side trails to connect to open trails.

If people want to free ride, wait for the lake to freeze and get on out there and rip it up! 
Please be respectful and appreciative to those who do open their property to us.

Happy snowmobiling folks. Fergus to Luther Marsh is Open....

26 minutes ago, spudjt said:

I am so disappointed in this news. I cherish the Bruce Peninsula and own a cottage that is right near where one of the land issues are. I think it's partially a misunderstanding of Bill 100. Some landowners feel this Bill has taken their security away and jeopardizes their ownership and control over their own property.  Some owners feel that if they allow people to use the trail then they will lose ownership over their property because people will just claim rights over the commonly used trails. It's the fear of self entitlement of many individuals. I respect the trails, the owners, and the nature you find along the trails.. however too many people go off trail or on them when closed.

Here is a good question. If the trail is closed, can we make a good ditch trail around the areas of question? What are the rules about riding along shoreline? Do owners of shore property own the shore? 

I also wonder about this. have thought about running the shore to sauble many times. Also plenty of roads around that if we had more traffic packing the snow banks would not make for a bad connector trail. You won't have the nice bush view but  we would at least be able to ride. Sauble is a great example of this on the 80-81 into oliphant. If anybody has the info on shore line please post. Obviously once the ice is safe you can run just off shore. I just don't no the bays and waters around me enough  to test that lol

http://files.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/crown-land/mnr_e000084.pdf

"In this policy, “lands fronting on a body of water” means lands directly abutting a body of water and excludes lands not directly abutting a body of water (e.g. abutting a shore road allowance). "Minister" means the Minister of Natural Resources or his delegate (i.e., District Manager).

2.0 INTRODUCTION Section 3 of the Public Lands Act provides that: a) where 25 percent or more of the frontage of lands fronting on a body of water are public lands, lands comprising at least 25 per cent of the frontage and to such depth as the Minister considers appropriate shall be set apart for recreational and access purposes; and B) where less than 25 per cent of the frontage of lands fronting on a body of water are public lands, all public lands fronting thereon and to such depth as the Minister considers appropriate shall be set apart for such purposes.

The intent of this legislation is to provide for adequate sustained access and recreational opportunities for present and future generations of Ontarians.

3.0 PROGRAM DIRECTION 3.1 Application This policy applies provincially to all public lands. 3.2 Guiding Principles Disposition is not to occur if it will conflict with shoreline frontages set apart for recreation and access purposes, in accordance with this policy, under section 3 of the Public Lands Act. 3.3 Goal To ensure that adequate public lands are set apart to provide for sustainable access and recreation for present and future generations of Ontarian "

On 2017-02-09 at 4:58 PM, Baylaker said:

I believe from wiarton right up to tobermory...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  please.  I love that ride

The ITG shows the whole area closed. Not sure if that is because of this. Or if the snow is just too thin this year.. everything else in the area is red or yellow.

Almost positive that's why it's all red...but I could be wrong. I heard the snow was thin and there were water holes as well, but also heard it was all closed due to off trail riding..

Very wet and thin snow is what is holding trails red. B108 was supposed to go yellow today but did not. 

22 hours ago, spudjt said:

I have been riding the purple Valley/hopebay area for years and have not seen much evidence of people going off trail, in fact it's rare to see another sledder at all when riding on weekends.  I'm hard pressed to believe its a "tresspassing off trail issue" and more likely related to the issue noted above by spudjt. Hopefully ofsc will take ownership of the problem and find a solution. It's a great area . 

10 hours ago, Kpowers said:

I have been riding the purple Valley/hopebay area for years and have not seen much evidence of people going off trail, in fact it's rare to see another sledder at all when riding on weekends.  I'm hard pressed to believe its a "tresspassing off trail issue" and more likely related to the issue noted above by spudjt. Hopefully ofsc will take ownership of the problem and find a solution. It's a great area . 

I also agree bill 100 is a big prob in the area but also trespassing. Just cause there is no evidence of off trail riding if it's red and you leave tracks down the trail it looks bad also. And if people rip up a field in sauble and that landowners buddies or brothers with the landowner in hopebay don't you think it will make him think twice. Trespassing is a big prob in the summer and unfortunately it affects the winter. Lots of atv wondering WAY of any trails. I am just saying both are big probs is southern areas. Bill 100 was the nail in the coffin. On a brighter note been snowing since 8am with a possible 10 more cm. 

Not the Bruce but we rode from Port Severn to Wasaga Beach today. We saw quite a few signs saying Stay on Trail or Permission Revoked. It was snowing from about 7:00 am and didn't stop all day so lots of untracked fields all around us. For the most part it looked like everyone was staying on trail since there weren't any tracks in that nice fresh snow. That is until one section of B in between C and Wasaga. As we rode between the stake lines around the outside of the field we look off to the right and out in the middle of the signed wheat field is a guy on one of the older style sleds ripping through the middle of the field and the snow dust blowing up all around him. Had I been able to I would have taken a picture that showed the registration numbers and started posting it every where I could think to. I don't imagine the land owner would be impressed.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2017/02/11/trespassing-forces-snowmobile-trail-closure

Yup yup it's a big issue. I see the signs stay on trail or permission will be lost all over the Bruce. Most do but you can always find tracks of trail if you look

21 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Not the Bruce but we rode from Port Severn to Wasaga Beach today. We saw quite a few signs saying Stay on Trail or Permission Revoked. It was snowing from about 7:00 am and didn't stop all day so lots of untracked fields all around us. For the most part it looked like everyone was staying on trail since there weren't any tracks in that nice fresh snow. That is until one section of B in between C and Wasaga. As we rode between the stake lines around the outside of the field we look off to the right and out in the middle of the signed wheat field is a guy on one of the older style sleds ripping through the middle of the field and the snow dust blowing up all around him. Had I been able to I would have taken a picture that showed the registration numbers and started posting it every where I could think to. I don't imagine the land owner would be impressed.

Better be careful posting pictures of that rider until you are sure it wasn't the landowner or some of his family on that sled. Might be his new son in law who grew up in the big smoke and has no idea what wheat field signs mean.

46 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Better be careful posting pictures of that rider until you are sure it wasn't the landowner or some of his family on that sled. Might be his new son in law who grew up in the big smoke and has no idea what wheat field signs mean.

Somehow I have a hard time believing that any farmer is going to run a sled through his own wheat field ruining his own crop

26 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Somehow I have a hard time believing that any farmer is going to run a sled through his own wheat field ruining his own crop

Riding a sled on a field isn't going to necessarily ruin crops...   I'd also think the most likely rider is the landowners family member.   See it all the time.

24 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

No but the new son in law from the city might if he didn't know the difference. My point is that you don't know they aren't part of the owners family and plastering a pic around as punishment might be the end of trail use permission. Aren't you supposed to ask when you stop an unpermitted sled on private property if they are the land owner early in the conversation? That's what I was taught to do.

1 hour ago, Canadoo said:

Riding a sled on a field isn't going to necessarily ruin crops...   I'd also think the most likely rider is the landowners family member.   See it all the time.

Winter wheat, especially in a year like this without front in the ground is easily damaged. One of my friends was able to show me the visible difference in the growth in his seeded hay field from a snowmobile running through the field. No trail, just an idiot running the road that came up to his nice flat field full of snow and thought it would be fun to play in. You could see the route he took.

11 hours ago, Canadoo said:

And this is the kind of attitude that too many have. That crop may not be killed, but it will not produce as it would have if it was left alone. This is the farmers income. How would you like someone taking money out of your pocket? If your not the landowner or have written permission to ride there - don't.

The trail pass is for BETWEEN the orange pickets where the groomer goes, not to wherever you want to go, examples - fresh powder, drift jumping, short cut a corner.

Stay on the trail or stay home, period!

2 hours ago, Crow said:

And this is the kind of attitude that too many have. That crop may not be killed, but it will not produce as it would have if it was left alone. This is the farmers income. How would you like someone taking money out of your pocket? If your not the landowner or have written permission to ride there - don't.

The trail pass is for BETWEEN the orange pickets where the groomer goes, not to wherever you want to go, examples - fresh powder, drift jumping, short cut a corner.

Stay on the trail or stay home, period!

What attitude exactly?  I'm sick and tired of condescending and lecturing attitudes like yours.  

Where did I suggest people should ride off the trail???

If you took the trail patrol course like I have you'd know that acosting riders whose identity you don't know can back fire.  So much so that it has in the past caused landowners to shut down their trails.  This was mentioned above by another member already...

You can ride on planted fields, at times, and not harm crops 1 iota. Farmers do this plenty.  These are facts.  I never suggested anyone try it and don't care to wade into the semantics of it.

Get a grip people!

Kind of makes you wonder now why only OPP are allowed to enforce the trails....met a few overzealous trails guys over the years.

Only met grumpy officers over the years, otherwise, most are actually pleasant.

Archived