p*ss on the parry sound petrocan travel center

slomo

Tucked away in the South Seguin club news on the forum, you might have missed this - park and ride being discouraged at the Petrocan Travel Center on highway 400 south of Parry Sound - which has been the main park and ride for the Seguin Trail for years:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17184-parry-sound-parking/

As Blake has suggested and done most of the leg work - Here is an alternative - might want to contact in advance although their web site suggests a good place to park (bottom right of picture) with good trail access:

light house restaurant.png

Across the road from the trail:

light house 01.png

OK. I can make sure that I don't get their feathers ruffled. Where is the next closest place to get fuel while sledding? I sincerely hope the Lighthouse makes a go of it. We have eaten there many times over the years when it had various names. NO not when it had the ballet.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

We have eaten there many times over the years when it had various names. NO not when it had the ballet.

The place has a history of being snowmobiler friendly.....the girls got Sunday's off so they could get out on the trails.

Those "enroute" style gas stations have been the subject of US litigation. Effectively expropriation by government tendered contracts. Litigation brought by private enterprise-service centers at cloverleafs.  Avoid "enroute" if possible.  

28 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Those "enroute" style gas stations have been the subject of US litigation. Effectively expropriation by government tendered contracts. Litigation brought by private enterprise-service centers at cloverleafs.  Avoid "enroute" if possible.  

The highest bidder wins and they just pass the cost on to us travellers that need fuel or food. Sometimes I will go off the highway and go into town and grab something to eat. Hate paying those high prices for such little food. 

57 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I try to stay loyal to the little guy who has been around for years and has been loyal to our sport.

In Port Severn they put in a new PetroCan and food court a couple of years ago at Port Severn Rd and Lone Pine Rd. just at the end of the off ramp from 400 north. A few hundred feet up the road and on the other side is the Amco gas station and restaurant. I drive past the PetroCan and go to the Amco every time.

It's a small family run business. They are long time supporters of the snowmobile club and the community. Their price for gas is either the same or a hair lower than the Petro Can and they pump it for you. One of the things I find a real advantage is the length of the hoses on their pumps. I can fill the truck, pull ahead a few feet for the sled trailer and then pass the nozzle through the fuel door and fill both sleds. The Petro Can would be a challenge to fill even the one sled. Especially if you're alone. Nobody to pass the nozzle in to you and I'm not sure it would reach even the closest sled, definitely not the second.

They also have a great breakfast to start the day off and trail maps are available there for those that need them. Green is the Amco (right on C trail), Blue is the Petro Can and Red is the Baxter Snow Riders Groomer Building.

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, Wildbill said:

only one has station left in this huge township Petroscam 

I know from where I am with some road rash, I can get to the Esso at Nobel. Are there any other sled accessible gas stations in proximity of Seguin township if the Petrocan at Seguin trail is the only one in the township?

47 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Totally agree on the Aamco station. My family and I have been stopping in there since the early '60's when it was BP.I understand the Petrocan in Port Severn is also a club supporter. Please correct me if I am wrong.

They do advertise on our map and it is appreciated. They are also open 24 hours with washrooms which is a plus. They have a Tim Hortons, a Hero Burger, a Pita Pit and Pizza Nova as well as the typical PetroCan convenience store. It really comes down to what the individual person wants. I'm not suggesting anyone avoid them. Especially for those that need their morning Timmies fix. They both have their plusses. It's just my preference to go to the Amco for gas and breakfast. The Amco isn't open 24 hours so if they are closed you will find me at the PetroCan. You also may find me going there for a Timmies stop when I'm not overly hungry or picking up a pizza for dinner. Part of my choice is loyalty, I know them all by name at the Amco and they know me. My waitress just looks over and asks "the usual". Part of it is the atmosphere of the traditional cottage country gas station / restaurant format. 

Primarily I go to Amco for the gas when I can. It's a small thing but the length of the hose is important for me. I always fill up the sleds there at the end of the days riding and the truck before I head for home. Being able to pull up and fill the sleds on the trailer without having to hug the pumps with the trailer to fill one sled (if the hose will reach) and then pull out and face the other way for the other sled would be a pain. I did try one time and the hose wouldn't reach through the open man door of the trailer to the tank of the nearest sled.

Like I said both are good options depending on what you need and want at the time.

8 hours ago, catinental couch said:

I know from where I am with some road rash, I can get to the Esso at Nobel. Are there any other sled accessible gas stations in proximity of Seguin township if the Petrocan at Seguin trail is the only one in the township?

Since you mention the Nobel Esso, just a reminder that the trail to town from McDougall goes by the Canadian Tire gas bar by the Parry Sound Mall just past the Chev dealership.

12 hours ago, Canuck said:

Don't get me started on the Enroute stations along the 401 designed by bike riding, granola eaters that have never been outside of Toronto.

If you've got a gasser pickup towing a TT or 5er, you're screwed. How do you exit from "inside" the pumps when 10 feet in front of your truck cars are parked @ the convenience store. Not sure what folks do if they need diesel. I have a few truck stops between T.O. & Windsor that I patronize.

A friend that is a OTR driver from North Bay, curses them due to their small space. They're out in the middle of nowhere, so why the cramped quarters? He's not a big fan of things America, but he admits that they know what they're doing when it comes to highway amenities.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the holding company behind them is connected to Larry Tannenbaum.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Don't get me started on the Enroute stations along the 401 designed by bike riding, granola eaters that have never been outside of Toronto.

Tread lightly, you ride a bike too .... maybe someone else knows his eating habits. .. ?

I know I don't fit the stereotype. I drive a real truck, not a Volvo wagon, hunt & cut trees down.

56 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Tread lightly, you ride a bike too ....

Too funny Denis. Have to take him to Terry's Steakhouse in Cochrane and see if he orders a salad :-P

To the bicyclist's point - Ellis Don built the Skydome for $500 million. And the Innissfil Reroute stations on Hwy 400. Enough said. Don't go there. Never will.  Buddy can you spare a litre .....

Too bad about the Parry Sound Petroscam. The community had high hopes for this to be an outdoor activity staging area. 

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

Too funny Denis. Have to take him to Terry's Steakhouse in Cochrane and see if he orders a salad :-P

To the bicyclist's point - Ellis Don built the Skydome for $500 million. And the Innissfil Reroute stations on Hwy 400. Enough said. Don't go there. Never will.  Buddy can you spare a litre .....

Too bad about the Parry Sound Petroscam. The community had high hopes for this to be an outdoor activity staging area. 

I'm pretty when I ate at Terry's a few years ago I had the salad BEFORE the steak LOL

You don't have to tell me about the Ellis Don "connections". I'm pretty sure my father told me about them back in the 70s.

3 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Tread lightly, you ride a bike too .... maybe someone else knows his eating habits. .. ?

SJ may have our dinner orders from our Kap' trip still on his Palm Pilot LOL

16 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Correct me if im wrong but I do believe that the horseshoe pines marina off horseshoe lake and right off trail 204 supplies premium fuel when they are open. an they support the club along with host our radar run which is coming up next month! To the south a bit in six star area off trail 16 just off of C trail south is H&H resort that has premium fuel and are six star club supporters. To the east halfway to kearney in sprucedale is kirks gas right off the seguin trail. An the south end of parry sound of course at the end of trail 209 is the shell and crappy tire gas stations a little bit of road running to cross the road with those two but still not bad. Those are just some that i can think off the top of my head. Im NOT liking the new owners of the travel centre thats for sure! So I do strongly suggest parking elsewhere such as the lighthouse as was mentioned earlier as well if you eat there mention SSSC and 10% of your receipt goes to the club! as well there is some parking off cargil rd just off oastler park drive and right beside C alt trail. Avoid travel centre and supporting them if you can, they are very much not club supporters and i do believe have an outstanding bill maybe.....

10 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Obviously I need to study the maps better. I just got some today.

Helper for you....ms. slomo and I used to launch from the parking lot when conditions bad at the camp- gas, tim hortons, subway, restaurant there, for out of towners Trappers - good little motel.

can tire gas.png

Thank you slomo and SuperG. I didn't realize there were feeder trails to the mall past Bayview Chev or at the south end to CTC gas bar etc. I had forgot about H+H. I know about Kirk's in Sprucedale and always get gas whenever over there. Are there any posted hours at Horseshoe Pines. We were there on Sunday and there was very little action going on. Lighthouse giving 10% to the local clubs are huge dollars going out of that business. We should all highly patronize that place or I fear that expense may cause it's demise and I surely wouldn't want to see that happen. Thanks for the info people.

5 hours ago, SuperG said:

Correct me if im wrong but I do believe that the horseshoe pines marina off horseshoe lake and right off trail 204 supplies premium fuel when they are open. an they support the club along with host our radar run which is coming up next month! To the south a bit in six star area off trail 16 just off of C trail south is H&H resort that has premium fuel and are six star club supporters. To the east halfway to kearney in sprucedale is kirks gas right off the seguin trail. An the south end of parry sound of course at the end of trail 209 is the shell and crappy tire gas stations a little bit of road running to cross the road with those two but still not bad. Those are just some that i can think off the top of my head. Im NOT liking the new owners of the travel centre thats for sure! So I do strongly suggest parking elsewhere such as the lighthouse as was mentioned earlier as well if you eat there mention SSSC and 10% of your receipt goes to the club! as well there is some parking off cargil rd just off oastler park drive and right beside C alt trail. Avoid travel centre and supporting them if you can, they are very much not club supporters and i do believe have an outstanding bill maybe.....

Yes Horseshoe pines has gas good clean ethanol free gas however they do not keep regular hours in the winter as well Horseshoe Lake camp also has gas once again irregular hours in the winter . 

The ownership group at the travel center is the same ne that built it and forced out the information center. 

Re trail to CTC gas bar at the north end of Parry Sound . The Carling club used to groom past Bayview GMC but the town put in a sidewalk a few years back from Mall Dr. to Wolseley Electrical  and now it's usually bare pavement plowed by Parry Sound. I think the groomer may turn around at Wolsely.  At one time there was a trail behind the mall to Trappers restaurant and motel. There is a lot less pavement running at the Nobel Esso  and right on the trail. On another note I don't see any advertisement on the trail map from either CTC gas bars in town or the other two gas retailers, the Nobel Esso and Tim Horton's Service Center at the Seguin Trail and we all know our sleds and more so our  vehicles use a lot of fuel in pursuit of our winter pastime. The CTC store in Parry Sound does advertise on the map. I asked at the Nobel Esso last year about leaving my truck and trailer there for the day and they said no problem but I always buy gas when I do.

RW

Archived