Mattawa Valois: Monday Jan 16, 2017

Blake G

1 hour ago, Snowbiz said:

Hey Blake, do you have poetic license to that line????

I love it. Can I use it when the appropriate occasion arrives?

"He who turns and rides away, lives to ride another day."

Knock yourself out.

The original line has been attributed to Tacitus, the ancient, long dead, Roman historian - - I simply adapted it to "justify" my turning around, on the many occasions when I decide not to push things beyond my comfort zone. Tacitus isn't around to complain about our plagiarism. 

fight and run.jpg

I have another quote that is actually a Blake G original, but nobody seems interested in hearing it or using it, for some unknown reason. Regarding riders who spin their tracks needlessly, chewing up the nice trails, I say "break wind, not traction." This is a reference to bicycle racing, in which riders take turns at the front of the pack to "break the wind" while the rest of the group rests behind in the draft.

Not a catchy phrase, apparently, and I sometimes wonder if people misinterpret my meaning.

OMG Blake you missed a fabulous day today.  Wish you were here.  Trails were groomed by Missing Links Club and Mattawa today.  Other trails were groomed yesterday that we were on.  Pics later.  Internet is REALLY SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW here.  LOL

Glad to hear it !!

1 hour ago, shawnj said:

did mattawa get snow today?

It's actually a REALLY light snow now.  No rain and NO FREEZING RAIN

23 hours ago, Snowbiz said:

So I never made it to Mattawa. I started out and had a great ride until I got on over 12km's of road running on the "D" east of Powassan. The Near North Trail Map indicates 13.2km's in that section and my guess is it's all on the road.

The road running actually wasn't that bad today but the further I went along the more I thought about having to ride back on it on Wednesday after the thaw and freezing rain. So I turned around, went back to Emsdale and now I am back home

Sorry I didn't get to meet everyone that are at the Valois Motel. Maybe next time I wont whimp out

So i am going to assume you were going to take the  D trail to the railbed which is a101. You would have turned right on the railbed and followed that to a112. Turned left and gone straight into Mattawa . So just a suggestion on the way home to avoid the 12kms of road running. Instead of turning left onto Chisolm Line and running the bare road (d trail) you could have passed that intersection and gone a little futher north. You would pass Alderdale which has gas at The Chisolm Country Market i think it is called. Easy access off the trail/railbed . Continue a little further north till you come to a road crossing.You should see a sign which says c110d. You would turn left then run up the road 100 feet or so and stop. Cross that road and go up the trail going up the hill.Follow the c110d .You will cross 11 highway. So now you are on the west side of 11 highway. Continue on c110d till you see SSR 700.Turn left on the ssr 700 and follow it into Powassan.You will cross back over highway 11 again. If your hungry stop at Kudos it is right there on the east side of the highway.You will have to enter their parking lot to continue access on the ssr 700 by the sign board. Follow the ssr700 till you get to the D trail. The ssr 700 meets the d trail in the bush right at that intersection where you turned right to take the 12 kms of road running.  Hope this helps anyone not wanting to run that 12 kms of road.Sorry i was little long winded....   

31 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

So i am going to assume you were going to take the  D trail to the railbed which is a101. You would have turned right on the railbed and followed that to a112. Turned left and gone straight into Mattawa . So just a suggestion on the way home to avoid the 12kms of road running. Instead of turning left onto Chisolm Line and running the bare road (d trail) you could have passed that intersection and gone a little futher north. You would pass Alderdale which has gas at The Chisolm Country Market i think it is called. Easy access off the trail/railbed . Continue a little further north till you come to a road crossing.You should see a sign which says c110d. You would turn left then run up the road 100 feet or so and stop. Cross that road and go up the trail going up the hill.Follow the c110d .You will cross 11 highway. So now you are on the west side of 11 highway. Continue on c110d till you see SSR 700.Turn left on the ssr 700 and follow it into Powassan.You will cross back over highway 11 again. If your hungry stop at Kudos it is right there on the east side of the highway.You will have to enter their parking lot to continue access on the ssr 700 by the sign board. Follow the ssr700 till you get to the D trail. The ssr 700 meets the d trail in the bush right at that intersection where you turned right to take the 12 kms of road running.  Hope this helps anyone not wanting to run that 12 kms of road.Sorry i was little long winded....   

SSR 700 is closed due to land owner issues this season. 

Thanks Reevester.Did not know that. So it is closed right into Powassan from where it meets the d trail in the bush? If the ssr 700 is closed how does the groomer get out the shed on the west side of Powassan? Does anyone know? Just wondering. Haven't been up there yet this year.

I've been trying to figure out where the trail goes where it crosses Hwy 11 at Kudos, there is a concrete baracade dividing the highway. Unless it's going under the highway and I didn't notice any tracks driving past. Hoping someone on here can shed some light. 

2 hours ago, snowchopper said:

Thanks Reevester.Did not know that. So it is closed right into Powassan from where it meets the d trail in the bush? If the ssr 700 is closed how does the groomer get out the shed on the west side of Powassan? Does anyone know? Just wondering. Haven't been up there yet this year.

I'd imagine they will move the groomers to a different location. 

Screenshot_20170117-235446.png

18 hours ago, reevester said:

I'd imagine they will move the groomers to a different location. 

Screenshot_20170117-235446.png

I can see that they can move the groomers but they have an actual building on the west side of Powassan. I have been in it for a meeting a few years ago.It has an office and meeting room. Interesting what will happen to that.

Archived