This weekend Jan 28 - 31

sledjunk

I wish your return trip was better. SJ and I saw lots of trailers heading south this morning, all with the same thoughts no doubt. We where hoping you guys were staying dry; sadly not. I too am giving consideration to where to ride family day weekend. However, with conditions changing as quickly as they are I will wait until closer to the date to nail down plans. Keep us posted on where you guys are planning to head to.

Purdy Mica mine; try google or better yet chrome (inside joke SJ and I heard over dinner at Valois) for details on the mine.

We must have just missed you at kudos, we stopped in there around 730 tonight on our way home, they were leaving and heading back to South river after they got the gas cans they needed.

It was nice meeting you and sled junk! The return ride was brutal, just on our way home now, made it back to South River by 6:30. The A112A was beautiful all the way up to that mine (what was the name of that again?) after that trails were terrible, really rough and then we ran into all the logging sections where they plowed it to dirt, the hydro lines were also a mess from hydro plowing them. It rained pretty much the whole day, stopped for a couple hours that was about it. The D trail near north bay, has a few big washouts with a foot of water in them. Rode the 700 to powassan for dinner at kudos, few washouts on them trails also. It was a work out in the trails with how rough they were and rocks visible everywhere, had to take our time and steer around all those. Didn't meet very many sleds today, did run into a group just as we were leaving kudos, one of the guys had run out of gas a ways back down the trail, they were on there way to North Bay. All in all we sure were happy to see the truck! All the rain has really done a number on the trails, and it is still raining steady! We may have to change plans and look at going further North for family day weekend.

OF7, still debating next week?

Regretfully I am not able to make this trip. Wife works Thursday - Monday. I would like to get out your way one day. Have a great trip and look forward to the tales from scuttlebutt lodge

OF7 and I headed to Mattawa as planned Thursday morning, arriving around noon.  Re:Leaf and Mrs Leaf had arrived on Wednesday and were out for a morning ride, so we decided to have lunch before heading out.

In the afternoon, we scraped across the bridge in town to head out toward the Mica MIne.  The trails were in great condition and we met the groomer heading into town.  After a short stop at the mine, we rode the freshly groomed trail back to town.

Friday morning was cold and crisp and we headed out on freshly groomed trails from the hotel.  Unfortunately, the groomer headed toward Bonfield on the A trail and the A trail toward Deux Rivieres was a little used but not bad.  When we got to the Missing Link trails (Missing Link Snownmobile Club, at least according to the spelling on their logo on the trails signs :-) ) it was obvious that the trails had been groomed the night before.

We met IanGJ at his cottage near Deux Rivieres and he guided us through the Bissett Creek Loop and around MLSS 195 into Stonecliffe.  After fueling at Yates Store and grabbing a couple of snacks, we headed back to Deux Rivieres, where we said goodbye to IanGJ and headed back to Mattawa.  The portion of the A from Deux Rivieres to Mattawa was now pretty beat up and was rough.

It ended up being just over 300 Km for the day.

We had a leisurely dinner and good conversation.  Re:Leaf and Mrs. Leaf were heading out Saturday morning and so we said our goodbyes and then retired for the night.

In the morning, OF7 and I decided we would head back the same way and try a few more loops in the MLSC system.

The A trail still had not been groomed and was even rougher than the previous night!  By the time we got to the club / district boundary, we were not happy riders!  We were seriously trying to reevaluate our plans for the day, knowing that, in all likelihood, that 55 Km of trail would not get any better for our return.

We were pleasantly surprised to see that MLSC had groomed their section of trail and we rode to Stonecliffe on great trails.  However, knowing that we had that 55 Km of grueling trails to end our trip on, we decided to do the loops that we had run the previous day in reverse.  That didn't quite work out as I led us around 196 back to Stonecliffe, and then around 195, back to Stonecliffe.  After a bit of head scratching and looking at the map (Doh!) we got going again and headed in the right direction.

The travels on the MLSC trails were absolutely great!  By the time we got to the boundary with the Mattawa club, the trails were showing some wear from the heavy volume of traffic, but were still quite comfortable to ride.  Then came the torture test of man and machine as we rode a 55 Km section of TOP trail that had not been groomed since before Thursday.  This trail was brutal!

I don't know if the Mattawa club had their groomer break down, which could explain the deplorable condition of this trail.  It was not a pleasant end to the weekend riding.

When we got back to the hotel, we met Yamaha06 and his buddy who had ridden in from South River.  It was great to meet another new OC'er.

I knew that Nunz and crew were coming up Saturday night and advised him to leave the sleds on the trailer and drop in Deux Rivieres in the morning rather than suffer the Mattawa section.  I figured that if they groomed it Saturday night, with the warm temps, it probably wouldn't set up anyway and would still be rough.

I am happy to hear that they took my advice and had a great ride!

Kudos and thank you to the volunteers of MLSC for a great ride.  I appreciate the efforts of both clubs, but I was quite disappointed in the condition of the Mattawa trails.  I certainly hope they are better next time.

Nice to read such a thorough and detailed report. Too bad about the Mattawa conditions. Good chance they had one or more problems, as you suggest.

Nice report SJ....was almost like I was there....could feel the bumps!

I am still feeling the bumps :( A great report SJ; sport on. Simply want to add that Valois is a great staging place; clean with excellent home style cooked meals.

sat morning we will be leaving bottom of Bernard lk heading mattawa way,we are 2 black & blue Polaris & 1 black Polaris with counter weight sporting pink...

Was Bernard safe?  I staying at the Northridge Inn for the RAP tour and I am hoping it is safe.

Was Bernard safe?  I staying at the Northridge Inn for the RAP tour and I am hoping it is safe.

we went across it last wk-end a couple times,bit of slush,there is a few huts out

Archived