Weekend of January 22 - 24

sledjunk

By late afternoon we were back at the Coldwater Arena parking lot.

The temperature was starting to drop, and the boys huddled around to discuss the story about Dick Withers in Coldwater.

post-22473-0-04958500-1453599307_thumb.jpg

Mrs. IQ Turbo returned and the lads sucked in their guts and straightened up for a group photo:

OF7, Cousin Cory, Cousin Alex, Mrs IQ, SledJunk, IQ Turbo.

post-22473-0-88795200-1453599353_thumb.jpg

02Sled was busy loading his new cat back onto his trailer. I forgot to get a photo.

I forgot to get a photo of my Cat too, so I took one when I arrived back in Gravenhurst.

Her name's Louise, and she's unimpressed if I get home after dark:

post-22473-0-73144000-1453599772_thumb.jpg

I was supposed to suck in my gut????

I was supposed to suck in my gut????

Not that easy after filling up at the Maple Valley Gentlemens' Club.

Lol Blake great pics as always ... play by play as well ... Mrs IQ texting me she's already jealous she won't be up riding February 5-7 with the group.

Great to meet you and Kim again, Jeff. I look forward to many more rides. :D

Same here Blake!. We are thinking about the Pancake ride..

I think there is a good chance that our club will be able to open the trails from Muskoka Wharf (Gravenhurst) to the Pancake site at Walker's Point. No guarantee, but we've been working on it.

Having said that, I can't imagine that Trail 15 will be open to connect Orillia's 204 to Gravenhurst. Late freeze-up will delay 15's opening.

If people can see fit to trailer to Gravenhurst, and if we do indeed open C101D and 12, folks might be able to ride from town to Walker's Point and back, and then maybe up D toward Bracebridge for a little toot, as that section of D was opened limited on Thursday.

We need more winter weather.

As a last resort, diehard pancake eaters can always drive out from the wharf by road.

On Saturday, January 30th, the club will be meeting participants at the wharf around 930 ish one way or the other.

Great post! Thanks for the entertainment. I am hoping the trails aren't too beat for next weekend- supposed to be warm weather in the area next week, but some snow fall.

It was frosty at 7:30 this morning when I left Coldwater to meet Sledjunk in Midland.

Noticed  a Trail Closed sign on C trail at the Midland Comfort Inn. Not sure of the cause, but this year C travels along 307 south of the OPP station.

Red circle is closed part, blue line is new part.

attachicon.gifreroute midland.jpg

Blake - is the detour or trail change well marked at the junction point or should I memorize your map? (thanks for the map)

A great ride with wonderful people. I look forward to riding with you again. 

Blake - is the detour or trail change well marked at the junction point or should I memorize your map? (thanks for the map)

It is well marked, especially if you don't have the trail committed to memory and can drive it on autopilot.

Mrs. IQ Turbo was texting me last night, sent me this pic ... Sledjunk, your sled looks like the cockpit of an airplane with all the "stuff" on it .... lol !

post-22850-0-09066200-1453640165_thumb.jpg

Maybe someday we'll be able to trailer down there and ride with you guys ... until then, we'll wait until you come to us !!!

See you in 2 weeks !!!

Coming from the east, as I was (green arrow on image below) I missed seeing the "C" sign at the black circle, and continued following last year's route until I got to the Trail Closed (TC) sign at the Comfort Inn. This was at 8:00 a.m. and I was not sure how to proceed. The groomed trail continued north across Highway 12, but I think that was just a path to Kelsey's.

Sledjunk was traveling toward me from the west, and I didn't want to miss him, so I turned off my sled and telephoned him - - he can receive calls while sledding with his system - - and told him I was sitting at the Comfort Inn. Twenty seconds later he rode in from the same direction I had just come. He told me that coming from the west, C no longer traveled in front of the OPP station. This change was signed at the other black circle.

The distance we had to backtrack was only about 400 metres.

About two hours later our group was once again coming from the East, being led by 02Sled. He is familiar with last year's routing, so he also missed the "C" sign at the first black circle, and led us to the Trail Closed sign at the Comfort Inn. Sledjunk and I told him about the reroute, so we backtracked once again and then followed the reroute, eventually taking the blue arrow path to continue west on "C" Trail.

Not a life threatening reroute, and unless you "expect" to follow last year's routing, you might very well notice the sign at the black circle.

post-22473-0-08803300-1453644132_thumb.jpg

I had a great time with a great group of people. Sorry to be so slow folks but as the maiden ride for the new sled I was and still am going through the breakin. The one thing I missed was the sled with the red flag. Had dinner with Sledjunk at one of the local eateries in Fesserton (yannis) good prime rib. Sat trails were a little icy from all the Sat traffic so ventured north in search of more snow.

Slow? Pretty sure you weren't slowing anybody down. Not me, at least. Good pace all round.

I tried Yannis on a motorbike ride last summer. Pretty good really, compared to what I expected.

Was SJ able to place a "tuning fork" sticker on 02's new sled?

You never know. I need to check and see if he snuck one on there. Hopefully this coming weekend we get to start the breakin on my wifes sled. Damn we need more snow

You never know. I need to check and see if he snuck one on there.

No, you're good. He said he forgot it in his truck.

I'm glad you guys had a great time. That's a beautiful sled O2.

It was a great time and a good pace.  NP 02, you weren't holding us back.

Archived