Weekend of January 22 - 24

sledjunk

I am planning on heading to Mattawa this weekend, staying at Valois.

Anyone else going to be in the area or interested in joining me?  Need to get some miles on.

Let me know.

On a weekend? Thought you were retired! Was booked to go this weekend myself, but heard tales of upwards of 700 sleds through there last week, too crowded for me, so heading for my camp. However, have fun!

While out and about after the trail day is done, why not visit the studio of local artist Clermont Duval? (right next to the auto parts store on the main street)

post-19713-0-63293800-1453456496_thumb.j

Lots of nature related artwork such as this aquisition of ours - for lack of any other title we call it "Invasion of Chipmunks". Guests to our camp who end up sleeping on a couch in the living room rarely stay longer than one night after trying to sleep while the picture is overhead....

post-19713-0-38273200-1453456484_thumb.j

Artiste Duval is a Mattawa area trail sponsor.

post-19713-0-79647300-1453456515_thumb.j

we were there last weekend and yes it was packed , stayed at valois also , had  a burger there that i could have used for three meals , the thing was a monster ,everyone seems to head to the A trail and kill it,go in another direction and you will be good 

we were there last weekend and yes it was packed , stayed at valois also , had  a burger there that i could have used for three meals , the thing was a monster ,everyone seems to head to the A trail and kill it,go in another direction and you will be good 

I am in complete and total agreement with Muskoka Man's assessment of the burger:

post-19713-0-83591800-1453458212_thumb.j

mine was called the Mt Antoine burger ,wife would have flipped if she seen me eating it,im supposed to be eating right in my later years 

mine was called the Mt Antoine burger ,wife would have flipped if she seen me eating it,im supposed to be eating right in my later years

From the picture I saw that is eating right. Meat, vegetables, lettuce onion tomato, dairy product cheese, covering the food groups for a balanced diet pretty well

From the picture I saw that is eating right. Meat, vegetables, lettuce onion tomato, dairy product cheese, covering the food groups for a balanced diet pretty well

Just missing the sugar food group.  Mmmmm  Butter tarts! :lol:

Just missing the sugar food group.  Mmmmm  Butter tarts! :lol:

My wife told me yesterday she's going to make me a batch of home-made butter tarts with extra raisins since I mentioned the ones she brought home last week had very few raisins in them.

I am planning on heading to Mattawa this weekend, staying at Valois.

Anyone else going to be in the area or interested in joining me?  Need to get some miles on.

Let me know.

Have a great time my friend, See you in a couple of weeks.

Change of plans

I am now booked in Midland and hope to meet the crew near Coldwater in the morning.

Sounds good.  OF7 and a couple of friends were going to stage near there (can't remember the parking spot) so maybe this will be a good place to meet.

I'll be the skinny guy with a beard. What time?

Be good to fly before the turkeys get out of bed....

Wait. Not fly. Not going to use that word for awhile. But it would be nice to get out on the trails before they get torn up by the Warriors.

OF7 and crew should be at Orillia end of B105C about 9:30.  We will ride toward them and they toward us.  Once we meet, we will figure out next steps.

It was frosty at 7:30 this morning when I left Coldwater to meet Sledjunk in Midland.

Noticed  a Trail Closed sign on C trail at the Midland Comfort Inn. Not sure of the cause, but this year C travels along 307 south of the OPP station.

Red circle is closed part, blue line is new part.

post-22473-0-85524100-1453596780_thumb.jpg

Great ride today.  Blake, Mr & Mrs IQ Turbo, 02 Sled, OF7 and a couple of buddies joined me on this ride.  We followed the cat's of 02 Sled and Blake.

Miles of smiles!

Met Sledjunk in Midland just after 8. (He spent last night in 02Sled's favourite Midland hotel, hoping to surprise him at the ice machine. A day too early....02 will be staying there tonight.)

After fiddling around with my non-functional visor plug-in on the frosty edge of Midland, (couldn't get it working even with Sledjunk's bag of tricks) we rode to the Country Style in Waubeshene to have a coffee and muffin, and wait for a call from other members of the day's riding group. We all got together at Coldwater for the official start of the day. My record while riding with an iced up shield isn't great, so I was thinking of loading up the sled and heading home. I got a tear in my eye and changed my mind when I took a photo of the group heading out. No way was I going to miss a day of riding with Sledjunk, 02Sled, IQTurbo, Mrs IQTurbo, OntarioF7, and his two cousins, Alex and Cory. Here's a shot of IQ, the missus, and Sledjunk pulling out of the Coldwater Arena parking lot:

post-22473-0-84390700-1453597856_thumb.jpg

Trails were fair, maybe 6 out of 10, and traffic increased as the day went on. Didn't run into any Arzhatts on the trails, or at least none that I recall.

We decided to go to Maple Valley Sports Bar for lunch. Timed it just right (12:15). The place became even more packed after we arrived.

post-22473-0-04628100-1453598427_thumb.jpg

Sledjunk and 02Sled planned their menu selections prior to entering the restaurant. Note the two fancy snowmobiles. This was the first real break-in trip for 02's new cat.

post-22473-0-55417300-1453598481_thumb.jpg

Mr and Mrs IQ Turbo are a happy couple.

post-22473-0-73720200-1453598455_thumb.jpg

02Sled had a few local history stories for Sledjunk and the IQ Turbos.

post-22473-0-37917600-1453598511_thumb.jpg

OntarioF7 and his two cousins were in another section of the establishment, trying to get answers as to why the place was no longer operating as a Gentlemens' Club (whatever that means).

Archived