Kapuskasing Trip January - Accomodations

Pembroke Stratos 285XL

With the crummy weather here, I am beginning to plan a four-day trip north (two driving days, two days sledding) around the second or third weekend in January as a back up plan.  My fiance and I have a new sled and not interested in looking at it sitting on the trailer in the driveway as the grass grows...The Lumberjack Tour looks interesting, and I'd like to show my fiance the Moonbeam clubhouse.

I'm thinking either Cochrane or Kapuskasing.  In Kap, I've seen folks here recommend the Super 8, I have a bit of a concern that they don't have a restaurant on site.

Thoughts?

Pick us up on the way by when you do the Lumberjack. ... We'll ride with you back to Kap ....

You could add a round trip to Hornepayne for an added 330 kms west of Hearst. ...

Pick us up on the way by when you do the Lumberjack. ... We'll ride with you back to Kap ....

You could add a round trip to Hornepayne for an added 330 kms west of Hearst. ...

Would love to denis007!  I think I'd have a better chance of winning LottoMAX than taking her on a 330 km ride...

It is true that the Super 8 doesn't have a restaurant.  However, there are many restaurants that deliver and often will provide cutlery (plastic) and plates.  Last year, we ordered full steak dinners, Chinese food, Toppers pizza and wings.  The front desk has a number of take out / delivery menus available and the food is very good.  There is a Casey's at the far end of town and your room key gets you a discount there as well.  We didn't get takeout from Casey's but the steak dinners from O'Brien's (iIRC) was excellent.  |The only complaint was trying to eat the steak with plastic.  This year I have a full place setting that I bought at the dollar store for about $5 which should make it more pleasant.

Would love to denis007!  I think I'd have a better chance of winning LottoMAX than taking her on a 330 km ride...

.... are you SURE she loves you ?!?  lol, the Lumberjack loop is about 160-ish km's ....  plenty interesting, I love the trails on that loop, we've done it 2 or 3 times.  Nice variation from the flat straight power line A trail.  

Ditto on the Super8, we trailered up and rode with Sledjunk and group late last year, spent a night there (we live in Hearst).  Good take-out, great rooms and pool/hottub.  I love the place and we're sure to stay there again despite living 95 km's away.

With the crummy weather here, I am beginning to plan a four-day trip north (two driving days, two days sledding) around the second or third weekend in January as a back up plan.  My fiance and I have a new sled and not interested in looking at it sitting on the trailer in the driveway as the grass grows...The Lumberjack Tour looks interesting, and I'd like to show my fiance the Moonbeam clubhouse.

I'm thinking either Cochrane or Kapuskasing.  In Kap, I've seen folks here recommend the Super 8, I have a bit of a concern that they don't have a restaurant on site.

Thoughts?

Have you thought about saddlebagging from Cochrane to Kap and then back to Cochrane the second day? The Comfort Inn is more central in Kap but would be a pain to get to on a 2 up (busy highway crossing and tight quarters when you get across). You would still have to walk or taxi to get to a restaurant.  The Super 8 has a small lounge and is pretty new so it would likely be a good choice IMHO. I can't imagine a Taxi would be too expensive to get anywhere in Kap. If you stay right in Cochrane you are likely going to walk or Taxi for food. The North Adventure Inn may be a choice this winter (new owners)on the west side of Cochrane with food and bar on site.

I guess I favor Cochrane because it will likely save you 21/2 hours total driving time. I also think that if you want to daytrip, there are more choices from Cochrane. With the trails up there, you could easily do Cochrane to Moonbeam clubhouse for lunch and back in a day. Last year Moonbeam clubhouse was only open Thursday (I think) Friday, Saturday and Sunday so plan accordingly if you want to see it. 

Hope you have a great trip!

I believe PS285XL is riding 2 up and his fiance might be new to riding.  If that is the case, Moonbeam from Cochrane and back might be a little overwhelming.

There are a couple of options as far as the future wife goes and sledding.

1. Take her on a nice ride and she may become addicted to the sport and demand her own sled, which will rule out any free time you might have had for sledding with buddies.

2. Take her on a ride from hell and you just may do away completely with a future wife, or best case she will have no interest in sledding !!

lol, which route did you take soupkids ? !!!!!

1. Take her on a nice ride and she may become addicted to the sport and demand her own sled, which will rule out any free time you might have had for sledding with buddies.

2. Take her on a ride from hell and you just may do away completely with a future wife, or best case she will have no interest in sledding !!

pretty cut & dry...

I believe PS285XL is riding 2 up and his fiance might be new to riding.  If that is the case, Moonbeam from Cochrane and back might be a little overwhelming.

I thought he was pretty good stuff to drive that far for a 2 day ride. If he's driving that far to train the new bride to drive a sled, he deserves a medal IMHO.

It is true that the Super 8 doesn't have a restaurant.  However, there are many restaurants that deliver and often will provide cutlery (plastic) and plates.  Last year, we ordered full steak dinners, Chinese food, Toppers pizza and wings.  The front desk has a number of take out / delivery menus available and the food is very good.  There is a Casey's at the far end of town and your room key gets you a discount there as well.  We didn't get takeout from Casey's but the steak dinners from O'Brien's (iIRC) was excellent.  |The only complaint was trying to eat the steak with plastic.  This year I have a full place setting that I bought at the dollar store for about $5 which should make it more pleasant.

.... are you SURE she loves you ?!?  lol, the Lumberjack loop is about 160-ish km's ....  plenty interesting, I love the trails on that loop, we've done it 2 or 3 times.  Nice variation from the flat straight power line A trail.  

Ditto on the Super8, we trailered up and rode with Sledjunk and group late last year, spent a night there (we live in Hearst).  Good take-out, great rooms and pool/hottub.  I love the place and we're sure to stay there again despite living 95 km's away.

Good advice thanks guys, if we go to Kap I'll try to book us into the Super 8.

New sledders gotta be broken in right, so as to not screw it up .... remember that she's your boss for the next 50 years, keep her on your side ... lol !

Have you thought about saddlebagging from Cochrane to Kap and then back to Cochrane the second day? The Comfort Inn is more central in Kap but would be a pain to get to on a 2 up (busy highway crossing and tight quarters when you get across). You would still have to walk or taxi to get to a restaurant.  The Super 8 has a small lounge and is pretty new so it would likely be a good choice IMHO. I can't imagine a Taxi would be too expensive to get anywhere in Kap. If you stay right in Cochrane you are likely going to walk or Taxi for food. The North Adventure Inn may be a choice this winter (new owners)on the west side of Cochrane with food and bar on site.

I guess I favor Cochrane because it will likely save you 21/2 hours total driving time. I also think that if you want to daytrip, there are more choices from Cochrane. With the trails up there, you could easily do Cochrane to Moonbeam clubhouse for lunch and back in a day. Last year Moonbeam clubhouse was only open Thursday (I think) Friday, Saturday and Sunday so plan accordingly if you want to see it. 

Hope you have a great trip!

It had crossed my mind to book into the North Adventure Inn and run day trips from there (I stayed there back in 2008), but the reviews from the last few years are not promising...although I see there are new owners.

What about the Thriftlodge in Cochrane, with an onsite bar and grill?  Trail access?

I should have given some background here LOL...this will be her 5th season on the back.  We've ridden over 14,000 km's together on a 2010 1200 shorty, 2013 Renegade 1200 (both with 1+1 seats and heated gear), and this year we are finally joining the 2-up ranks with a 2016 GTSE.  She is good for usually around 200 km's a day give or take, and while she doesn't like the brutal cold, she loves sledding almost as much as I do.

She is a trooper, she also loves fishing and ATV'ing.

I thought he was pretty good stuff to drive that far for a 2 day ride. If he's driving that far to train the new bride to drive a sled, he deserves a medal IMHO.

Actually, it has more to do with both of us being p****d off with the silly weather around here.  We sled in a group of couples with 2-ups, and in all cases the women have no desire to drive.   :cheers:   Which suits me just fine LOL.

New sledders gotta be broken in right, so as to not screw it up .... remember that she's your boss for the next 50 years, keep her on your side ... lol !

50 years?   :huh:

Do you get time off for good behaviour?

It had crossed my mind to book into the North Adventure Inn and run day trips from there (I stayed there back in 2008), but the reviews from the last few years are not promising...although I see there are new owners.

What about the Thriftlodge in Cochrane, with an onsite bar and grill?  Trail access?

I have not stayed at the Thriftlodge, but I have eaten at the restaurant many times.  The trail goes right next to their parking lot.

That would be a good choice from the reviews from others.

Do you get time off for good behaviour?

LOL every year I do a three-day weekday trip with the guys, usually the RAP tour.

Well it's good to hear that you aren't newbies. ... whatever you choose enjoy the riding!

I should have given some background here LOL...this will be her 5th season on the back.  We've ridden over 14,000 km's together on a 2010 1200 shorty, 2013 Renegade 1200 (both with 1+1 seats and heated gear), and this year we are finally joining the 2-up ranks with a 2016 GTSE.  She is good for usually around 200 km's a day give or take, and while she doesn't like the brutal cold, she loves sledding almost as much as I do.

She is a trooper, she also loves fishing and ATV'ing.

Actually, it has more to do with both of us being p****d off with the silly weather around here.  We sled in a group of couples with 2-ups, and in all cases the women have no desire to drive.   :cheers:   Which suits me just fine LOL.

50 years?   :huh:

yes its a life time sentence??? i know

We stayed @ the Thriftlodge a few years ago. Nothing fancy & no complaints. Restaurant next door & gas across the highway.

Check the link in my signature for accommodation info. 

Archived