ATV's do it again

blue er

I believe you are correct, however, as was said earlier, sometimes you have to know when to pick your fights.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shared trails only work with respectful ATV riders. I am only saying ATV, because its difficult for a Sled to damage a trail. There are many ATVers that have no respect for the trails and find their happiness in mudding, not riding on the trail. I had an ATV and tried to ride with the ATVers assuming they were just like sledders. I WAS WRONG! Although there are always exceptions, I found ATVers to be a different breed that sledders.

We have our share of a-ho Snowmobilers, but I'm of the opinion that there are far more in the ATV world. The price of entry is lower in the ATV world. A typical snowmobiler has to commit with riding equipment and a sled. An ATVer can ride in a t-shirt and shorts, although certainly not recommended.

So many times I have found dangerous ruts in the sled trail, or on the lake where the trail is marked. If the ATVer (and sometimes Ice Fisherman in Pickups) had a brain, they would understand the dangerous situation they are causing. You can't fix stupid!

The best ATVers are likely the ones that also snowmobile, cause they get it!

Obviously you were not riding with an atv club. I belong to an atv club and have been a guest with other clubs and find them to be very responsible riders. They go out of their way to set a good example. IMO To say Atvers are a different breed is very narrow minded. Both atv and sled clubs I have ever been associated with want to preserve the trails we ride on. The biggest problem with people that don't belong to clubs is that they are not educated in proper trail etiquette . If folks could just try to educate others that don't know instead of ridiculing them I think we would all be better off and have a chance for all to enjoy the trails.

I've been accused of worse!

If you belong to an ATV club, you are likely not part of the crowd of young people who have zero respect for anyone but themselves. 

I Bought the ATVs, 8 or 9 years ago.  That is the timing of my comment.  Alcohol was part of the riding experience for many.

We all want our sport to be filled with only good people, but that doesn't happen.  We have a lot of a-ho people on Snowmobile's also.  Heck, they could be the same people ripping up the trails on ATVs....

Do ATV magazines promote responsible riding?

Have you watched dirttrax? Short answer:1

The magazines and tv shows contradict themselves all the time. I take all that with a grain of salt. I think they just say what the paid sponsors want. Real reviews from real people on the forums I find give real and accurate reviews for the most part.

I've been accused of worse!

If you belong to an ATV club, you are likely not part of the crowd of young people who have zero respect for anyone but themselves. 

I Bought the ATVs, 8 or 9 years ago.  That is the timing of my comment.  Alcohol was part of the riding experience for many.

We all want our sport to be filled with only good people, but that doesn't happen.  We have a lot of a-ho people on Snowmobile's also.  Heck, they could be the same people ripping up the trails on ATVs....

No I'm not part of the young crowd who have zero respect. I don't drink and drive , I practice pack out what you pack in and I try to use common sence and I respect landowners property. I enjoy using the trails both summer and winter and hope that if I do my part it will be there for my kids and grandkids for many years to come. It's too bad that it only takes one or two jerks to ruin it for everyone.

Some mags mention it as some sled mags do also but for the most part they are there to sell their sponsors products.

Have you watched dirttrax? Short answer:1

?

My comment, if I rode my Ranger on the trails like they do, I'd probably spend more time flipping it back up on the wheels. That being said when I've met groups of ATVs/UTVs on the railbeds, the folks have been travelling @ a safe speed & slow down to a crawl when we go by each other. Unlike some of the throttle jockets on sleds.

?

My comment, if I rode my Ranger on the trails like they do, I'd probably spend more time flipping it back up on the wheels. That being said when I've met groups of ATVs/UTVs on the railbeds, the folks have been travelling @ a safe speed & slow down to a crawl when we go by each other. Unlike some of the throttle jockets on sleds.

Sorry short answer yes

Some mags mention it as some sled mags do also but for the most part they are there to sell their sponsors products.

I thought so. I don't ride or follow the ATV crowd since I participate in snowmobiling which is expensive enough.  The entire industry needs to get on board to inform riders the responsible way to ride and where to ride or they will loose more trail access and look bad in the public eye. Oh, this goes for snowmobiling as well. 

I am seeing more social media (Facebook) comments about trails abuse for snowmobiling which is a good start.

One of the biggest influencers of change is peer pressure. If you go riding and someone wants to ride with you and doesn't have a permit. Stand up and tell that person sorry but no. Even more effective if you are part of a group that says sorry but no to the person without a permit.

Then continue that to people who ride irresponsibly.

One of the biggest influencers of change is peer pressure. If you go riding and someone wants to ride with you and doesn't have a permit. Stand up and tell that person sorry but no. Even more effective if you are part of a group that says sorry but no to the person without a permit.

Then continue that to people who ride irresponsibly.

I treat riders the same that have cans as well...

I would say yes for the most part

Not much mud bogging in most rags

ATVers that belong to clubs or form clubs get it

The problem is like sledders 95% of them do NOT belong to a club and do not see the other side of having trails remain open

Archived