Where to Eat - TOP A District 14

Can anyone recommend the best place to get a soup & sandwich style lunch on the A trail in the Kirkland Lake to Matheson area since Butler Lake isn't an option.(miss the pies)

Also in the Moonbeam-Kap area since our favorite clubhouse at Moonbeam will be closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Maybe pack some TV dinners. Lots of friendly people with microwaves around! Could even strap them to your exhaust as you ride!

Maybe pack some TV dinners. Lots of friendly people with microwaves around! Could even strap them to your exhaust as you ride!

Good idea, do you know anybody full of HOT AIR that could come along and heat them so I don't have to take the side panel off the sled?

We used to go to a place I think was called the The Whistle Stop at the Teck Hotel.  I believe it was actually in Chaput-Hughes, just west of Kirkland Lake.  Easy access from the trail, about 3 blocks, but there was usually lots of hard-pack on the streets.

Maybe UltraFrozen could confirm?

Maybe pack some TV dinners. Lots of friendly people with microwaves around!

Not as bad an idea as it seems. Whatever you do, stick with the Hungry Man Turkey, or the Hungry Man Fried Chicken. Their other varieties are horrible - the Sports Bar one is excrement.

As for restaurants, there is a Cousins Restaurant somewhere (?)on your route south of Cochrane that has got a good review on the forum. In Smooth Rock Falls, there is a restaurant next to the Moose Motel right on the trail. If you get to Kapuskasing, all sorts of places on the trail going through town. Go to the western end there is a Caseys to mark the end of your choices. If you saw something you liked better, turn around and go back.

Can anyone recommend the best place to get a soup & sandwich style lunch on the A trail in the Kirkland Lake to Matheson area since Butler Lake isn't an option.(miss the pies)

Also in the Moonbeam-Kap area since our favorite clubhouse at Moonbeam will be closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Kenogami Kitchen, sign at road crossing and about half a km of snow packed road to get there.  Restaurant is across Hwy 11

Kenogami Bridge Inn, same road access as above but turn right on Hwy 11 about 200m.  DO NOT access from river crossing as there is open water under the bridge.

Rolly's in Ramore, trail goes through parking lot.

Northern Delight restaurant in Matheson, across the street from the A trail when you get to the gas station.

While I'm at it, there is gas in Kenogami/Seskinika a few kms north of the A trail and A110Q intersection.  MacPherson's Esso.

We used to go to a place I think was called the The Whistle Stop at the Teck Hotel.  I believe it was actually in Chaput-Hughes, just west of Kirkland Lake.  Easy access from the trail, about 3 blocks, but there was usually lots of hard-pack on the streets.

Maybe UltraFrozen could confirm?

The Whistle Stop/ Tech Hotel is in Kirkland Lake (Woods Street and Poplar Street intersection) and can be accessed from the A110Q trail south of town where it crosses the road at the power plant, look for the big smoke.

Many other places to go in KL if you are going that way.

Not as bad an idea as it seems. Whatever you do, stick with the Hungry Man Turkey, or the Hungry Man Fried Chicken. Their other varieties are horrible - the Sports Bar one is excrement.

As for restaurants, there is a Cousins Restaurant somewhere (?)on your route south of Cochrane that has got a good review on the forum. In Smooth Rock Falls, there is a restaurant next to the Moose Motel right on the trail. If you get to Kapuskasing, all sorts of places on the trail going through town. Go to the western end there is a Caseys to mark the end of your choices. If you saw something you liked better, turn around and go back.

Cousin's restaurant is south of KL and is located on the A108 trail in Englehart across from the Georgia Pacific OSB plant right on Hwy 11, look for the smoke stacks.

Get a muffpot. It does clamp to the exhuast system and heat things up as you ride. Or the Hot Pot Jr.

http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2015-Fall-Winter/#274

Thanks for the help everyone. We're starting in Dymond and will likely eat breakfast at Gilli's truck stop. We will likely stop at Rolly's as the timing should be about right if all goes well. We've ridden past it numerous times but have never eaten there.

Cooking on the exhaust brings back memories. About 20 years ago we were saddlebagging in the UP. We stayed overnight at a spot that had Ribs on special. They served them with mini bread loaves and the servings were huge. We ended up getting tin foil from them and wrapping the leftovers and left them in the tankbag of the sleds overnight. We laid them over the pipes of a Storm for 15 minutes the next day and had a great trailside lunch of leftovers.

I hope you made reservations.  I called last night to book a room for Saturday March 7th and all was booked with many hockey tournaments and a skiing competition.

I hope you made reservations.  I called last night to book a room for Saturday March 7th and all was booked with many hockey tournaments and a skiing competition.

I normally make our reservations a month + in advance and if the Quality Inn Dymond is involved we do it way before that as we have run into the hockey tournament thing there a few times. Great place to stay for sledders and especially for starting a saddlebag trip.

Kenogami Bridge Inn, same road access as above but turn right on Hwy 11 about 200m.  DO NOT access from river crossing as there is open water under the bridge.

While I'm at it, there is gas in Kenogami/Seskinika a few kms north of the A trail and A110Q intersection.  MacPherson's Esso.

A trucker friend asked me if I knew about the inn last winter. He knew I asked about various businesses in his travels up north. He spent a few hours waiting there as he was having truck issues & waiting for a tow back to North Bay.

Does MacPherson's have the same name? I saw that it had changed hands a year or so ago.

Does MacPherson's have the same name? I saw that it had changed hands a year or so ago.

As far as I know it still has the same name based on the radio spots.  I think Ian and his wife still run it for the new owners.

Archived