Do you like being an asshat ?

none

IMO: the real problem: lack of civility

here in the city, someone walking on the street, crossing street on red light, cutting you off on the road, anything, anything in the wrong: You honk at them - they reply with a flip of the bird - I see it all the time. Mostly young punks but they can be all walks of life

Lack of civility: It's been discussed and documented a lot lately.

IMO it carries onto riding snowmobiles on public trails,  and the mostly young punks on superfast sleds with no regard for others nor the rules of the trail.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here in the city, someone walking on the street, crossing street on red light, cutting you off on the road, anything, anything in the wrong: You honk at them - they reply with a flip of the bird - I see it all the time. Mostly young punks but they can be all walks of life

Lack of civility: It's been discussed and documented a lot lately.

IMO it carries onto riding snowmobiles on public trails,  and the mostly young punks on superfast sleds with no regard for others nor the rules of the trail.

You mean cityits..lol

How about parking in the lane blocking traffic (not on the side of the street) or in front of a driveway? 

This was from last summer in Apsley:

post-19781-0-38954900-1425054148_thumb.jpg

We see this all the time & it's "adults" that should know better doing this crap. I think a lot of this also is a product of a sense of entitlement or the "It's all about me" mindset.

and thats the value in raising these issues here

Unfortunately, I think it is all "preaching to the choir." I don't think any of the guilty offenders participate in the forums.

Unfortunately, I think it is all "preaching to the choir." I don't think any of the guilty offenders participate in the forums.

They don't "Participate" but many lurk...

You mean cityits..lol

I see the same attitudes displayed by people living outside of the city as well. It seems often to go with the age of the person as well regardless of where they live.

I see the same attitudes displayed by people living outside of the city as well. It seems often to go with the age of the person as well regardless of where they live.

Yes I agree. I live in the city and honestly it isnt fair to say cityits when we are likely more responsible. I see a lot of the yahoos are older in the 40s or 50s.

Yes I agree. I live in the city and honestly it isnt fair to say cityits when we are likely more responsible. I see a lot of the yahoos are older in the 40s or 50s.

You will get them in all age ranges for sure but my perception is it seems to be late teens early twenties that have that sense of entitlement.

You will get them in all age ranges for sure but my perception is it seems to be late teens early twenties that have that sense of entitlement.

Agrees early twenties is realllllllly bad

Agrees early twenties is realllllllly bad

I agree - however, the early twenties gen is half and half. I have seen so many that are very respectful, mannerly and civil. These are the people that will succeed in getting and holding good jobs in a bleak market.  And the other half...? Very puzzling.

I agree - however, the early twenties gen is half and half. I have seen so many that are very respectful, mannerly and civil. These are the people that will succeed in getting and holding good jobs in a bleak market.  And the other half...? Very puzzling.

X2... I just hired a 20 something recently finished his education. Eager to learn, arrives a bit early, leaves a bit late, great work ethic. He will succeed.

X2... I just hired a 20 something recently finished his education. Eager to learn, arrives a bit early, leaves a bit late, great work ethic. He will succeed.

I meet the same types many times as well. It is good to know that the entire generation is not a total write off.

and what was said about our generation 

A lot of things were said about our generation... but what wasn't said was : living at home past the age of 35, "self entitlement", a first home over 2500 square feet loaded with furniture, and gimme, gimme, gimme. :)

You mean cityits..lol

they are everywhere - its most obvious in the city due to the crowdedness and congestion; in smaller rural communities it is prominent too - less law enforcement; less boundaries; youth grow up a bit more on the "frontier" - open natural space

How about parking in the lane blocking traffic (not on the side of the street) or in front of a driveway? 

attachicon.gifparking job.jpg

We see this all the time & it's "adults" that should know better doing this crap. I think a lot of this also is a product of a sense of entitlement or the "It's all about me" mindset.

we all show lack of civility; its contagious; we are products of the environment; someone is uncivil towards us we turn around and project it onto someone else.

The younger generations shows it most: more rights, more protection, more entitlement and more, much more invested by parents- yes "it's all about me" mindset

some do come on here ; anyone who does can/will spread the word; will it make a difference? I don't know. 

"late teens early twenties that have that sense of entitlement."

yes -that's what they have been taught

"It is good to know that the entire generation is not a total write off."

no they are not - there will be those who are shown/taught to be different from the status quo; walk the higher ground so to speak - a competitive advantage (for jobs).

there is always the intergenerational conflict - Plato commented on how lazy and disrespectful the youth of his time were.

today's younger generations are different because of the entitlements and the new technolog(ies) of the last couple of decades

So what does this have to do with snowmobiling?

this morning I turn off a 4 lane busy street onto a small 1 way lane (in my p/u); there is a large cube van partially blocking the lane and part of the sidewalk; there is a 60 ish year old man with a cane walking down the middle of this laneway in front of me; there are sidewalks on both sides of this laneway; after a few moments I think he is unaware of my presence behind him - so I honk; he turns and - yes- flips me the bird; he moves over and I drive by him;

Around the corner I park in my driveway; I see him coming down my street: I'm pissed; I confront him; he responds by saying "the sidewalks are snowy" untrue streets and sidewalks are equal in condition - plowed and salted.

I tell him I honked to make him aware of me - why the finger? he says so what? So what? I tell him the next guy will take his cane and break it over his head. - "Oh come on" - he says "give it a try!" I tell him I can see he has had a very dark past and will have a darker future - we go our own ways.

second such incident for me this week - young punks in the first.

then I come on here and write my post on "lack of civility". To me there was /is a connection. Asshats have the "its all about me" mindset; with their loud uniforms, loud looking and sounding machines; their imperviousness and "so what if I'm on your side of the trail?! and take this too: I have a middle finger!"

I like what this author writes on the matter vis a vis today's "parenting" as part of the problem:

http://www.parentdish.com/2009/09/27/the-real-reason-behind-our-lack-of-civility/

I remember during a thread about loud pipes a poster telling about seeing someone braaping up to the pumps. The elderly owner walked to the pumps w/ a cane. She got to the offending sled & hit the kill switch w/ her cane. That would've been priceless to see.

I find my self standing up when in towns if only to make myself more noticeable from a safety stand point. You're dealing w/ snow banks & parked cars limiting motorists' vision of you.

You're absolutely right Maverick, on several points. 

1.  The parents are absolutely the cause for the behaviour of the kids of today.  Sadly it's a trend that's likely to continue spiralling downhill.

2.  Rural and less populated areas are indeed more likely to have complacency in OPP presence and enforcement.  Hearst has an increasing presence of young dopeheads, all with cans & 10" risers on their sleds, wrap kits (to be as cool as their buddies and not to be individual), and 10 inch lifts, 20" wheels & straight-pipe exhausts on their pickups and diesels, making sure absolutely everyone hears them turn every street corner.  I don't believe if I were an OPP that I'd allow these punks so much leeway in their behavior and noise that they impose on everyone else.  I'd likely be hated for it too.

You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.  Report them and they'll seek revenge; do nothing and put up with their sh!t.  Personally I'd rather be hated by the azzhats and make an effort to straighten them out, albeit it would likely be in vain.

1.  The parents are absolutely the cause for the behaviour of the kids of today.  Sadly it's a trend that's likely to continue spiralling downhill.

2.  Rural and less populated areas are indeed more likely to have complacency in OPP presence and enforcement.  Hearst has an increasing presence of young dopeheads, all with cans & 10" risers on their sleds, wrap kits (to be as cool as their buddies and not to be individual), and 10 inch lifts, 20" wheels & straight-pipe exhausts on their pickups and diesels, making sure absolutely everyone hears them turn every street corner.  I don't believe if I were an OPP that I'd allow these punks so much leeway in their behavior and noise that they impose on everyone else.  I'd likely be hated for it too.

You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.  Report them and they'll seek revenge; do nothing and put up with their sh!t.  Personally I'd rather be hated by the azzhats and make an effort to straighten them out, albeit it would likely be in vain.

I was offered a teachers job years ago and turned it down because of the new attitude 

Very true, some of the apprentices I trained have such a sense of entilement, don't won't want any of the dirty and heavy jobs and are impolite. Others want to help so much, they won't let their first class do any of the heavy lifting.. Maturity? Way they where raised? I don't know,...

I was offered a teachers job years ago and turned it down because of the new attitude

I would do. You wouldn't believe the way some students treat teachers at my school.

parking job.jpg

did that really rile you up or what? Why didn't you go talk to them?

I agree completely - I'm inclined to confront and teach them a lesson. BUT that can too often rebound badly back on you. Best and safest solution is walk away.

Very true, some of the apprentices I trained have such a sense of entilement, don't won't want any of the dirty and heavy jobs and are impolite. Others want to help so much, they won't let their first class do any of the heavy lifting.. Maturity? Way they where raised? I don't know,...

its the way they were raised = I spent 9 years working with inner city "high risk" young offenders and emotionally disturbed children - while asshats are'nt necessarily criminals, their behaviors are often "similar": e.q. a blatant disregard for the safety and security of self and/or others.

I would do. You wouldn't believe the way some students treat teachers at my school.

no further questions your honor.......................

did that really rile you up or what? Why didn't you go talk to them?

I didn't take the picture, it was a friend.

I did yell at at asshat (guy in his late 50s) that parked in front of our driveway & started to walk away. He said sorry, got back in the SUV (a Range Rover) & moved it. My truck was in the driveway, so WTF was he thinking?

found this during our club ride

11041794_10153830565900021_5250658256370

no blood on the scene

hope the fellow is not too hurt

Had a fantastic ride today. All was perfect until the last km from home, on a 125 km run. Almost bought it at the bottom of a sweeping hill just below the B / Trail 4 intersection, on the Beech River bridge side. ( HCSA ) The guy was on a Ski Doo, no studs and the front skis were pushing badly as he was right in front of me and I was against the right side with nowhere to go. We made eye contact as he got out of my lane, totally sideways, with me at a FULL stop. I couldn't get angry as his look seemed apologetic and he put his hands up.He knew he messed up, and his buddy behind him knew he did too. Not much more to say that hasn't been covered in this thread already.

BTW, the Haliburton trails were fantastic today, and that's on a high volume weekend. Thanks HCSA.

Archived