Blue Mountain

SlowTouringGuy

Booked in the Rivergrass section of Blue Mountain Resort. It looks like trail 704 (or even B) gets pretty close to our accommodations but not all the way.

Does anyone have local knowledge of trail access from OFSC trail to the Fairway Court & Jozo Weider Blvd area?? Are we on the road? In the ditch? On a local, unofficial trail that "everybody" uses to access the area?

Thanks !!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunetly, blue has become anti snowmobiler. Probably the last place I would book if I was staying in the vincinity. Saying that, you should be able to ride roads and ditches up to the trail. Will be some decent snow coverage.

Our group learned that lesson years ago up at Huntsville. Skiers & snowmobiles don't mix.

So true.  Yet, I sled and ski.  But unfortunately majority of skiers are NOT sledders and just don't get it.  Oh well, such is life I guess.

I ski at Blue Mountain two or three times a year.  I have never seen a sled in the parking lot, or anywhere near the resort. 

We always park on the trail at Pretty River conservation area- lots of trailers there. Very hard to get into town to get gas or have a meal though. From there you can go north up the hill on top of Blue Mountain or go east, south or west but right now it is all red.

I had a similar skier/Sledder experience at Horseshoe last year even though the OFSC trail goes right into their parking lot. So I'm not harboring any illusions as to how well we'll be welcomed. However we do have unbridled clearance from the resort to ride our sleds up to the door of our condo and park in the lot.

Now, the challenge is how to find a route from 704 (or B) to the door.

There used to be a groomed trail right into Collingwood.

There used to be a groomed trail right into Collingwood.

From Collingwood the town to Blue Mountain the resort is still a long ways away.

There still are a couple of trails that do. The trick is how to cover the distance between the trail and the rental unit.

the riding around the area is great, but there is no "trick". You cannot ride from blue unless you get a fresh snowfall the night before as you'll be riding the road. They will clear the roads first thing in the AM, every day.

Good luck getting around there, unless it has changed, the destination signage and trail/intersection id is piss poor at best. To high falutin fur me.

absolutely disagree 100%. The club(s) in the area do a great job, collingwood is not setup for sleds but many towns close by are: creemore and singhampyon are 2 of the best sled towns in Ontario imo.

Blue mountain is a privately owned ski resort but there is a ton of great riding on and off trail very close by.

Blue mountain is a privately owned ski resort but there is a ton of great riding on and off trail very close by.

Which is one of the reasons we booked there. We can easily sled there in one day over some beauty trails, then have a day loop in D9 and return loop home the next day. In the meantime we have an accommodation that, when split between couples is good value and some can decide to eat fancy in the resort, some can decide to eat pub style and some can decide to prepare their own meals.

We just need to find a local route from 704 to our unit.

Maybe you need a sled ferrying service similar to the one offered by one of the motels in Sault Ste. Marie.

Maybe you need a sled ferrying service similar to the one offered by one of the motels in Sault Ste. Marie.

There is one right on B Trail called "Ride on Sled Rentals" and they provide a shuttle service to and from plus their secure lockup. Great offering at a great price!

Fishing for local knowledge to see if we have the alternative purely from a convenience factor.

So the SlowTouringGuy is not so slow after all. Reminds me of the story about the old bull and the young bull...

Why not ride down the hills? (only once)

So.......there is an OFSC trail that takes you directly into the parking lot of Horseshoe Valley Ski Resort. Last year 5 of us had a beauty ride from here, looping through Horseshoe for a lunch stop and return home.

the lunch stop was "awkward". Especially with the extremely long noses down which the skiers looked. By the time we had finished our lunch and were walking back to our sleds feeling the stare in our backs we were, indeed, sorely tempted to make a quick run up the mountain and back down to the trailhead.

As much as that fuelled a fantasy, common sense prevailed and we were on our way.

still, I think (when feeling irresponsible) it would have been a blast.

absolutely disagree 100%. The club(s) in the area do a great job, collingwood is not setup for sleds but many towns close by are: creemore and singhampyon are 2 of the best sled towns in Ontario imo.

guess it has changed then, congrats.

By the time we had finished our lunch and were walking back to our sleds feeling the stare in our backs we were, indeed, sorely tempted to make a quick run up the mountain and back down to the trailhead.

BRAAAAAPP!

Which is one of the reasons we booked there. We can easily sled there in one day over some beauty trails, then have a day loop in D9 and return loop home the next day. In the meantime we have an accommodation that, when split between couples is good value and some can decide to eat fancy in the resort, some can decide to eat pub style and some can decide to prepare their own meals.

We just need to find a local route from 704 to our unit.

Check out the lodge at mountain springs resort, new restaurant, way better food and prices than the village - where truthfully the food isn't that good (especially for the price). Its at the north end of blue near the Toronto ski club, by lot 4. Cottage style food and dining. Live music some nights. https://m.facebook.com/lodgeatblue

Again, There is no local route from the trail to the village area or your condo, I dont know how else I can say it. You need to run the road, period. You would be trespassing and likely pissing off a lot of people. Nobody rides sleds on the roads around blue. Maybe if there is a big dump bwfoe they clear the roads. Sorry,but you are going to have to drag the sleds to the trailhead.

Archived