Blue Mountain

SlowTouringGuy

And that's the only reason the OFSC turns its back on every place in D9 that supports sledding? Or any place in Ontario that supports sledding?? Who's getting sucked off in Barrie??

I'm sure holding a reunion at Auchwitz would be cheaper but I bet people with principles go elsewhere!

Weare left with little say the OFSC sets the bar too high it is more about the exercise than democracy as demonstrated by the the chairs personal comments about me in my absence. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any district/clubs can hold AGM, it is still the same old thing, more personal time to do it. I have spoken to some of the people that were organizers of the D5/London AGM, allot of work with a lack of help. Organizing that deal is a ton of work. I understand what you guys are saying, but it is held at these venues because the district/clubs in the surrounding areas are doing the work to have the meeting. I ain't interested in gettin into that mess, and I believe that is the attitude most have.

Quite frankly, that is a "BS" reason to hold it at Blue. Blue is in the middle of the snow belt and does Sweet Fanny Adams for snowmobiling. In fact, it out right rejects it. If we need the "under one roof" scenario hold the damn thing in Downtown Toronto. Hold it places that support snowmobiling or hold it places, like Toronto, Mississauga, Ottawa, that don't even have trails. Doing so would be a lot less offensive then holding it at a place in snowmobile country that hates snowmobiles !

did you do this trip yet STG?

Any district/clubs can hold AGM, it is still the same old thing, more personal time to do it. I have spoken to some of the people that were organizers of the D5/London AGM, allot of work with a lack of help. Organizing that deal is a ton of work. I understand what you guys are saying, but it is held at these venues because the district/clubs in the surrounding areas are doing the work to have the meeting. I ain't interested in gettin into that mess, and I believe that is the attitude most have.

Did you read the specs ? It sure leaves out anything but extremely urban areas 

did you do this trip yet STG?

yup.  The trip is in the books.   Great trails out that way - the Collingwood club deserves to be proud of what they offer sledders.   Must be tough for them to see the Mother Ship come to town and turn its back on them and those that support them.

Blue is a great place to visit.  Especially if you are not going there to sled.  Lots to do and a great time can be had.  Can't knock it as a destination for good lodging, good eats, good drinks and good fun. 

Not set up nor inviting for a snowmobile group.  Glad I was only spending my own money - pretty offensive spending other peoples' permit dollars and insulting thousands of volunteers by having an Ontario Snowmobile Club Annual General Meeting there. 

So what does downtown Ottawa or Markham do for sledding?  The most involved that the meeting was in the sledding communities was when we went to places like North Bay and used an arena as a meeting room.. However many complained about being in different hotels and all the busing. Timmins,Sault and North Bay were all good AGM's however the powers that be made the decision to eliminate this type of community based effort eliminating a bid that Parry Sound was planning 

And that's the only reason the OFSC turns its back on every place in D9 that supports sledding? Or any place in Ontario that supports sledding?? Who's getting sucked off in Barrie??

I'm sure holding a reunion at Auchwitz would be cheaper but I bet people with principles go elsewhere!

Where else in the area is large enough to accomodate the needs of the AGM? What other large venue supports snowmobiling?

Someone made the comment about the early bird price taking money off the trail, I totally agree with that but there is a solution that I think all of us sledders should do when we purchase our tickets.

Buy your early bird online and pick the club that you ride in the most, then take the difference from the early bird price and regualr season price and hand the cash directly to your local club in early Dec.

That's what I did and they really appreciated it.

If we all did that the early bird price is irrelevant, just a thought....

What downtown Markham/Ottawa/Missisauga/etc does not is conflict with those in the host club's catchment area that do support sledding. It removes the insult. If there are no places in sled country big enough or inexpensive enough to host it then take it out of sled country so clubs don't have to explain why they are not giving back. If not, it is much better to have it at two hotels that support our sport than to host it at one that does not right in the middle of snowmobile country.

Where else in the area is large enough to accomodate the needs of the AGM? What other large venue supports snowmobiling?

Horseshoe  or Nottawasaga Inn come to mind real quick.

Horseshoe  or Nottawasaga Inn come to mind real quick.

I don't know how many rooms we would need for AGM.... Nottawasaga Inn has a total 269 rooms. Are they able to dedicate the entire site to the AGM? Horseshoe advertises on their website "From corporate retreats to weddings, Horseshoe is perfect for groups from 10 to 200 people"  I think we are over the 200 mark. Personally I would be focussed on the sites ability to meet the needs followed by reciprocity of support. I think STG nailed it in terms of Deerhurst being pricey but they have 350 rooms. I know my wife would love a visit to Deerhurst.

Horeshoe would likely impact their golf course business if they gave up the site for AGM exclusively.

What downtown Markham/Ottawa/Missisauga/etc does not is conflict with those in the host club's catchment area that do support sledding. It removes the insult. If there are no places in sled country big enough or inexpensive enough to host it then take it out of sled country so clubs don't have to explain why they are not giving back. If not, it is much better to have it at two hotels that support our sport than to host it at one that does not right in the middle of snowmobile country.

I can't argue with that. I understand why they don't cater to snowmobiling, and you are right, we really shouldn't spend permit dollars at venues like that.

Did you read the specs ? It sure leaves out anything but extremely urban areas

no I haven't Bill, to be honest, I am not even interested in it. I will go and support what my club wants, but that is all I will ever have to do with AGM. I lose enough money doing what I do now, I refuse to spend more time on it.

Archived