Do clubs have Trail Captains?

Blake G

As a newbie on our board I am quite amazed at how much work takes place behind the scenes, without the average sledder even knowing about it.

Our club has been very successful over the years in getting things done, thanks to strong leadership and a great core of volunteers.

I've been wondering how other clubs ORGANIZE their volunteers for trail work.

Does your club use a semi-formal structure, with a Trail Coordinator and designated Trail Captains who act as contact people, and are responsible for organizing volunteers for a specific section of trail? Sort of like "adopting" a trail?

I have heard the term Trail Warden. Is that the same as a Trail Captain, or something different?

Does any club use an "organizational chart" to plot out the various roles and responsibilities within the club?

Trail Warden was the original name for Trail Patrol.

Blake organization is key.....our club usually has trail setup with 2 working days......yes we have a trail condinator along with 5-6 trail captains.....all our trail captains look after their section of trail including dealing with landowners and issues etc.....we have been having the same date's for yrs regarding trail setup.....our first day is just the exec, we setup all intersections and all the stops etc....then the next work day we advertise at a few of outlets where peeps are thinking snow along with our website,here OC and a few other sites...when the trail staking day happens we usually have 30-50 peeps show up....we split everyone up with one of our trail captains and away everyone goes....(all trail captains have atv's,trailers etc organization is key) it usually takes around 5-6hrs the second day and we supply lunch and refreshments.....now it sounds easy but its the peeps we have in positions that is key, along with where we are located and a great bunch of peeps in the area that don't mind coming out for a day of fun, if strangers show up u got to make them feel part of the group, period......we have been working on young blood,and its out there if a club works at it....we usually have 15-20 peeps at every meet....another thing we do is the Pres/VP get moved around each yr just those two positions... 

IMO all exec should be Trail Patrol...

Sledjunk: Thank you for clarifying the role of Trail Warden.

Lep, thank you very much for taking the time to provide the outline of how you guys operate. Sounds like a very efficient way of going about things. Which club are you with?

Blake

New Dundee Blake

As a newbie on our board I am quite amazed at how much work takes place behind the scenes, without the average sledder even knowing about it.

Our club has been very successful over the years in getting things done, thanks to strong leadership and a great core of volunteers.

Does your club use a semi-formal structure, with a Trail Coordinator and designated Trail Captains who act as contact people, and are responsible for organizing volunteers for a specific section of trail? Sort of like "adopting" a trail?

I have heard the term Trail Warden. Is that the same as a Trail Captain, or something different?

Does any club use an "organizational chart" to plot out the various roles and responsibilities within the club?

We call em Trail Bosses! They work with the volunteer coordinator!

yes we have trail captains out here who take care of certain sections of trails and organize people on what when and where

Trail Warden is what Trail Patrol use to be called back in the 90s

Most clubs I have been associated with have some sort of organizational chart

Thank you. Appreciate it, Freezerburnt.

• 2 weeks later...

Right on !!!!

Tell him the trails are closed!!

He's Old, he'll never figure it out!

You can get promoted to Captain if you take good care of your Privates. 

:shock:

Archived