Ontario Hydro Continues to Waste $$$

bbakernbay

Lots of solar farms around. I know of three,one is on the west side of highway 11 just past the St.Onge marine location north of gasoline alley.  Another one you can see from highway 11 is on the east side just past the hamlet of Katrine. It looks like a small lake from the highway. They are currently building another one just west of Burks Falls on highway 520.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of solar farms around. I know of three,one is on the west side of highway 11 just past the St.Onge marine location north of gasoline alley.  Another one you can see from highway 11 is on the east side just past the hamlet of Katrine. It looks like a small lake from the highway. They are currently building another one just west of Burks Falls on highway 520.

With the feed in tarrif rates, these farms break even in 5 years. Wonder what will happen when these things start to end up in the land fill in 20 or so years. There are allot of dangerous metals in these things. I even heard if a building burns it is dangerous to breath in the fumes and the glass can explode and injury any one near by.

There has been lots of scuttle about the Katrine and Burks Falls farms. The solar company basically strips the land and installs the panels. Then with all the rain we have had it has been stated In the local paper  that the runoff from these lands are making the Magnetewan river cloudy, high silt levels. If this is true that is not good for the people along the river.   

cut down a forest put up a solar lot now thats eco friendly

"Do as I say, not as I do"

Maybe the Liberal can clear cut the boreal forest (since the Ring of Fire is going nowhere), put up solar panels & wind turbines. Then let the First Nations maintain them?

If memory serves me the contracts with OPG were at a high end .85 cent for Roof Mount and .55 for ground mount for 20 years.

I believe they  reduced the .85 cent rate but I cannot remember what it was but those who signed early are getting the full .85 cents for 20 years!

Your numbers are right, but it's got nothing to do with OPG. This is the province's doing, under the Lie-beral government. Last I looked, OPG was only getting paid $0.06/kWh. Yup. 6 cents for safe, clean nuclear power. And yet we the rate payers are paying 85 cents to everybody who jumps into a micro-FIT solar installation. WTF?

Your numbers are right, but it's got nothing to do with OPG. This is the province's doing, under the Lie-beral government. Last I looked, OPG was only getting paid $0.06/kWh. Yup. 6 cents for safe, clean nuclear power. And yet we the rate payers are paying 85 cents to everybody who jumps into a micro-FIT solar installation. WTF?

The highest rate paid for solar to grid installations was 80.2 cents in 2011, contracted for 20 years. Macsquinty then started reducing the payout amount because he realised his mistake. Current payout for new installations is around 44 cents per kw/h. 

The highest rate paid for solar to grid installations was 80.2 cents in 2011, contracted for 20 years. Macsquinty then started reducing the payout amount because he realised his mistake. Current payout for new installations is around 44 cents per kw/h. 

This is still a mistake

This is still a mistake

Mid peak and peak power costs about 17 cents a kw/h when all of the fee's are included. So the rate is still double the true costs of power. They say soar is only a few percent of ontario 's total power.

That's why I walked away from the Dealership opertunity, YES it had huge potential but the numbers were just so wrong in the long run!

Mid peak and peak power costs about 17 cents a kw/h when all of the fee's are included. So the rate is still double the true costs of power. They say soar is only a few percent of ontario 's total power.

It's not as much the few percent of solar, and the large amount of wind. It's the fact we turn off cheaper forms of power (water) when the wind blows and the sun shines.

Only a fool shuts down cheap clean green power to buy expensive green power..

See post #42

Doh!  :icon_doh:

It's the fact we turn off cheaper forms of power (water) when the wind blows and the sun shines.

Is that from official sources? I'm not seeing that in the power data. The output from hydro is pretty consistent on a daily basis, and shows no real fluctuations with the amount of wind/solar being generated. Here is the past week of data in graph form:

zwO6Aln.png

Brown = other sources (i.e. solar), Green = wind, Dark blue = gas, Light blue = hydro, Orange = nuclear

Did you mean to say gas, maybe? You can clearly see how it comes and goes as the other sources fluctuate. That is true, but that was also the whole plan as burning gas all the time is less than ideal.

Here is the realtime (last hour or so) of where your power is coming from..

http://reports.ieso.ca/public/GenOutputCapability/PUB_GenOutputCapability.xml#

Mmmm. Skidooer's chart and Dweese's data don't jive. The chart shows a huge percentage of solar when it's really only a small amount even at full capacity. Pehaps if we knew how the chart was created. 

And what about paying other jurisdictions to take our excess electricity when its sunny and windy. Hydro has to buy solar and wind power even when it's not needed.

Mmmm. Skidooer's chart and Dweese's data don't jive.

Amusingly, they come from the exact same source. Charted version here: http://www.ieso.ca/Pages/Power-Data/default.aspx

And what about paying other jurisdictions to take our excess electricity when its sunny and windy.

Can you provide additional reading for this? The link I gave above also shows the market price, and it does sometimes go into the negatives, so that is not in question, but I see no clear correlation between wind/solar fluctuations and price.

Hydro has to buy solar and wind power even when it's not needed.

I'd like to read more about this too (official sources; way too many "facts" on those protest sites), please. Thanks.

Mmmm. Skidooer's chart and Dweese's data don't jive. The chart shows a huge percentage of solar when it's really only a small amount even at full capacity. Pehaps if we knew how the chart was created. 

And what about paying other jurisdictions to take our excess electricity when its sunny and windy. Hydro has to buy solar and wind power even when it's not needed.

The other, isn't just solar... Its other sources including, Solar, Bio mass (wood waste), Bio Gas (garage) and so on...

And yes its in the green energy act, Solar and Wind get first priority on the grid over everything else even Nuclear. But because we need nuclear the maintain our base loads so, we cycle off the easiest thing to control first. That would be water...  

And yes its in the green energy act, Solar and Wind get first priority on the grid over everything else even Nuclear.

That isn't my interpretation, but I am not a lawyer, so maybe you could help explain the legalese for us laymen?  :)

25.36  (1)  A transmitter or distributor shall connect a renewable energy generation facility to its transmission system or distribution system in accordance with the regulations, the market rules and any licence issued by the Board if,

(a) the generator requests the connection in writing; and

(b) the applicable technical, economic and other requirements prescribed by regulation or mandated by the market rules or by an order or code issued by the Board have been met in respect of the connection.

Priority access re renewable energy generation facilities

(1.1)  Despite subsection (1), a transmitter or distributor shall provide, in accordance with its licence, priority connection access to its transmission system or distribution system for a renewable energy generation facility that meets the requirements prescribed by regulation.

Regulations

(1.3)  A regulation referred to in subsection (1.1) may specify criteria related to the renewable energy generation facility which must be met in order for the facility to receive priority connection access.

(2)  Subclause 32 (2) (d) (i) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:

(i) for the purpose of maintaining the reliability of electricity service or the IESO-controlled grid, directions requiring persons, including persons providing electricity supply generated from sources connected to a distribution system, within such time as may be specified in the direction, to synchronize, desynchronize, increase, decrease or maintain electrical output, to take such other action as may be specified in the direction or to refrain from such action as may be specified in the direction, and

Hahaha, I'm no lawyer, but because I am an electrician, so I read a lot of trade papers that explain all this.

But it's right there in 1.1, Priority is given to renewable, as long as the installed system meets their standards. 2 goes on to explain that basically your system has to be fully automated so the IESO can remotely shut down or sync your system to the grid, as demand changes.

But it's right there in 1.1, Priority is given to renewable, as long as the installed system meets their standards.

As I read it, they are talking about the building of the infrastructure. If there was a race to connect a solar panel or a hydro dam, then the solar panel would be first in line to connect to the grid for the first time. However, if both already have physical connections, it does not suggest, as I interpret it, that the solar panel gets to produce power before the hydro dam.

2 goes on to explain that basically your system has to be fully automated so the IESO can remotely shut down or sync your system to the grid, as demand changes.

See, this suggests to me that the green energy solutions do not have priority at all, in terms of power generation. That is contrary to what has been told in previous posts.

I had a look at the green energy policies in a few other countries and they explicitly specify both the priority connection, and the priority feed-in. The latter seems to be missing in Ontario's version, so this is where my confusion lies.

I know people that have solar and sometimes the power on the line goes to 252 volts and shuts off their invertors for a period of time.

Archived