You have to be crazy to buy used sled in Canada....

aar0n

So I'm looking on craigslist buffalo and the prices are RIDICULOUS. Heres an example: 

http://rochester.craigslist.org/sno/4379863777.html

http://rochester.craigslist.org/sno/4377743439.html

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/sno/4387553096.html

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/sno/4347520766.html

http://rochester.craigslist.org/sno/4396241060.html

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/sno/4355936569.html

ALL WITHIN 30 MINUTES OF THE BORDER!!! 

What has to be done to bring a used sled back into canada? 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that hard, go to the RIV website ( https://www.riv.ca/ )some info there.  Need a bill of sale and new york reg signed over in your name just like ontario. The RIV fee is around $220 paid at the boarder on the way back. You need to get a recall clearance letter from the manufacture in Canada and get a safety, all done after returning to canada. The paper work can all be done in a week if you rush I've imported 6 yamaha snowmobiles over the years. Keep in mind the exchange, travel time, fuel costs, RIV fee and the pain from the boarder guards if they are having a bad day or just don't like the look of you lol. Don't try and pull any fast ones and bring the original ad and you should be fine.

That rush listed for $5000 will be a easy $6000 by the time its in canada. Not sure if thats good or not I don't follow Polaris 

It is tricky for a first time buyer. Make sure it has no liens either, since that will get flagged at boarder and you will be responsible for the lien payment inorder to get it across. Could turn into a 10k sled.

I brought my nytro over in 2011. Super easy cost me a total of 430 bucks between riv payment and tax at service ontario. The safety is free did it at Canadian tire took about 5 mins. The biggest problem is getting the recall letter now. From what I hear not as easy as before. I think skidoo has put a stop to it all together. When I was done I saved around 3500 bucks buying it there. Mind u I got a pretty good deal on the sled too.

My buddy did it all the time when $ was par. Just watch out for crashed sleds? New bolts others are rusted or tarnished. Parts on one side don't look as used as the other side.nstuff that indicates it's been in an accident. He got some really good deals. Most guys brought it across the boarder for him.

RR

My buddy did it all the time when $ was par. Just watch out for crashed sleds? New bolts others are rusted or tarnished. Parts on one side don't look as used as the other side.nstuff that indicates it's been in an accident. He got some really good deals. Most guys brought it across the boarder for him.

RR

If they bring it across the border for him does that mean all the hassle is saved? 

Don't get them to bring it across the boarder it will not save you anytime. You can get them to meet you at the boarder but you need the boarder dudes to do there thing and get the RIV process rocking! Once RIV paperwork is complete then you can get a new Ontario ownership. 

They bring it across for him. He goes into the office there (at the boarder). He has all his paper work pre done and is at the boarder less than 30 min. He come back to Barrie and goes to Canadian Tire where they want to have him start it and apply the brake and kill switch. He pays his money there and he's away.

RR

and remember you will be paying 88cent on the dollar even though it is at just over 90cents right now

Ok Im not gonna be able to do all this ill just buy in ontario if i do upgrade

Anyone got a rev xp 500ss???

My thoughts on this are that I would and will always buy in Ontario to support my local dealer/dealers.. Figure that if I need help with something they will be more willing to help me out and get me riding sooner than later. Just my two cents... 

Nunz

used sled prices in Ontario just like anywhere are driven by supply and demand. The outstanding amount of snow and conditions this winter drove the demand for a good used sled up and you saw the prices of a used sled in Ontario go up in response.

Aaron,

I just bought my 13 year old son a 2010 TNT 500ss. It took me two weeks to find it. I would have driven across the border but by the time you factor in exchange, tax down in US and RIV fee. Its not worth it.

Its a simple process. Have cash ready in hand and wait til a deal comes through. They are out there and a deal always comes up.

Aaron,

I just bought my 13 year old son a 2010 TNT 500ss. It took me two weeks to find it. I would have driven across the border but by the time you factor in exchange, tax down in US and RIV fee. Its not worth it.

Its a simple process. Have cash ready in hand and wait til a deal comes through. They are out there and a deal always comes up.

this is very true

this is very true

Aaron,

you are definetely right. Also, I don't know a lot about sleds so I would feel very uneasy buying a sled in the US and if something goes wrong it's not some guy in the area. Buying sleds in the US would be great for a someone who knows a lot about sleds and the process, but definitely not for me. 

UsedtoSkidoo, may I ask how much you paid? The ones I am finding are in the 6000-7000$ range.  I would be willing to spend max 5000 on a newer sled but these prices are nuts...

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-snowmobiles-2010-SKIDOO-MXZ-XP-TNT-600-W0QQAdIdZ578041406

Pretty sure Aaron you can buy a brand new 2015 600 mxz sport  for $7949. So keep that in mind when you are pricing sleds.

Yeah these used prices are stupid! My dad paid 6500 for his NEW CRATE 2013 indy 600 and people want 6500 for their 2010  mxz 600 sport USED 

Yeah these used prices are stupid! My dad paid 6500 for his NEW CRATE 2013 indy 600 and people want 6500 for their 2010  mxz 600 sport USED 

6500 for a 2010 600 and  a new 2015 is 7949. Not much difference in price so if your buying one and paying on a loan you might as well ante up the extra 1500 and have a brand new 2015.

Keep your eyes open. I would want until fall, since I am sure lots of used 500 ss's will pop up.

6500 for a 2010 600 and  a new 2015 is 7949. Not much difference in price so if your buying one and paying on a loan you might as well ante up the extra 1500 and have a brand new 2015.

im 16...im not taking out a loan, or any of that 

The Polaris iq's are great sleds too. The 600 carb from 2006 to 2009 is a great mill. They sell fairly cheap seen some as low as 3k for an 07 with 8500km. They are slightly harder on fuel then the skidoo, but not buy much.

The Polaris iq's are great sleds too. The 600 carb from 2006 to 2009 is a great mill. They sell fairly cheap seen some as low as 3k for an 07 with 8500km. They are slightly harder on fuel then the skidoo, but not buy much.

I don't like the look of the iq. I like the edge, love the look of the indy but just don't like the IQ. The rev i LOVE though and the 600 carb is undestroyable

I don't like the look of the iq. I like the edge, love the look of the indy but just don't like the IQ. The rev i LOVE though and the 600 carb is undestroyable

The later versions of the 600 carb have a lean midrange! You need change jets by one size to eliminate it. The monkey blew up his 500 ss this way. Not sure what year it was maybe an 06?

Archived