Todays ride- Friday Feb 14th.

rockerdan

Heading out shortly....Should be incredible everywhere today.  get out before the long weekend!

Also everyone please be careful this weekend and have some patience for all the familys out on the trails, it will be extra busy and is a great thing for our sport.

Map of todays run....

Dan

post-23178-0-15945300-1392387978_thumb.jpg

Have a great day Dan, Will chat when I get back from my trip up north..

Nunz

Also everyone please be careful this weekend and have some patience for all the familys out on the trails, it will be extra busy and is a great thing for our sport.

well said,think i'll stay local this wk-end.lots of old iron coming around those corners...

Gonna be on the trails less travelled for sure and do morenlake running

Hey Blue ER...we did a great loop today...Fenelon over Cameron, Balsam Mitchell and up to Kirkfield. Onto Lagoon City on unbelievable trails. Down to Beaverton on Simcoe and back home through Woodville. Amazing to see the villages of fish huts out on Simcoe. Ever done this loop?

Hey Blue ER...we did a great loop today...Fenelon over Cameron, Balsam Mitchell and up to Kirkfield. Onto Lagoon City on unbelievable trails. Down to Beaverton on Simcoe and back home through Woodville. Amazing to see the villages of fish huts out on Simcoe. Ever done this loop?

Nope sounds awesome. Usually fenlon cobivsnd surrounding been at least 5 years since run balsam. Gotta hook up

Sorry have not been back in here since friday...was an amazing long weekend, rode fri, sat and sun....today im relaxing !

Put on near 900kms IN LAST 3 DAYS.  Man o Man the more miles i put on this etec 800x the better it gets...nearly 2000 miles on her now(3400kms+) and just gas/oil and  go....18+mpg much of the time in trails, instant starts even when its been minus 30c.  Just love how light,flickable and fast these sleds are..makes my old apex and cat turbo seem 20 yrs old.  BRP you got me back in your camp!

Fridays ride to Sundridge VIA Doe Lakes,Burks Falls......Up around to Lake Bernard.   All I can say is perfect!   flat, smooth passed groomers who were grooming already perfect trails...haha.  

Had an incredible meal at Caswell resort hotel  which is right on the northwest shore of Lake Bernard right next to the town dock in Sunny Sundridge.  Huge meal for cheap!   Im always amazed how much cheaper things are when i leave Muskoka!..Gotta love it.  Grabbed Fuel right on trail on old hwy 11 or main street...then ran under new  hwy11 and over to Magnetawan.  Down 711 back to seguin...just fantastic.

some pics here...these first ones are trail 82(DYW) pines section off Vernon, GORGEOUS!.....then Burks Falls(less snow there) and groomer near Pickeral lake...and Caswell resort restaurant Lake Bernard.

Dan

post-23178-0-77724000-1392668641_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-21748600-1392668657_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-04758100-1392668674_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-66205600-1392668688_thumb.jpg

Saturday:

Got up Saturday Morning to several phone calls from buddies who wanted me to guide them to Haliburton VIA lakes to avoid the busy family weekend trails....  So off me and my bud went to Baysville, met up with some other friends filling up there and they asked if they could tag along to Hali....sure!  SO we had a larger group then usual heading below Baysville down the 102super hwy trail, east on B trail out to Kushog lake....

ran down kushog which was like a hwy packed down...with all of us 800s going at it...pleased to say my doo was infront of all the poo 800s...hehe...and then jumped over to Boshkung lake, and grabbed B trail on east side of the lake near hwy 35 then over and down to Hali....Hali was jammed with sleds parked on the lake,some sort of winter carnival going on with music and food/bbq ect ect.....we all walked up to main street over to McKecks restaurant, just an amazing place which had a long line to get in!   we waited it out abit and then got i for lunch....yum

Then grabbed fuel and back up B to trail 11 and westward across redstone and kennisis and big hawk,raven ...then to dorset for a drink then LOB home at end of night....just another incredible day..

Ok so here are some more pics from saturday ride to Haliburton....

-Map

-Kushog at Ox Narrows

-Haliburton Park(Fighter jet)

-Kennisis Lake Sunset

Dan

post-23178-0-29393300-1392669168_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-81444200-1392669220_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-41038400-1392669266_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-12625100-1392669340_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-15940400-1392669387_thumb.jpg

delete

SUNDAY:

another early phone call to wake me up asking for help on wood lake trail to gravenhurst for a boston pizza lunch...SURE lets go!

another fun day on trails....shocked to see nothing but groomed perfect flat trails even on sunday...gotta love when ALL of ONtario has snow and open trails, keeps lots of the traffic down up here..although i did see a ton of sleds all weekend...

Ran down to Baysville, down 103....wood lake,trail 3....D back across hwy 11 bridge,down into Gravenhurst for Fuel at can tire.....then down to wharf for Pizza....

Then after pizza we ran north up lake muskoka back to 32 and d back to Mary lake.....ahhh, what a weekend!

Some pics...

-Map

-Bridge over HWY11

-Boston Pizza on the Wharf

Dan

post-23178-0-22107300-1392670959_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-79268000-1392670970_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-32301700-1392670983_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-34511500-1392670997_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-23257800-1392671017_thumb.jpg

Great report dan. Nice pics too!!!!! Glad to here you are liking your etec. I have the same thing except in a long track renegade but I'm only getting 17L to 100 kms around 13 mpg. But I wouldn't trade it for anything!!! Again nice report!!!

Thanks for the reports, Dan. Very professional, as usual.

How's that Skidoo working for you?

Looks like it is capable of time travel - title of Dan's report reads "Today's Ride January 14"? :icon_cankick:

Looks like he zoomed ahead to ride on February 14 and beyond....lol....great reports Dan!

Nice ride. One day ill remember the lake routes from minden to dorset lol

Great report dan. Nice pics too!!!!! Glad to here you are liking your etec. I have the same thing except in a long track renegade but I'm only getting 17L to 100 kms around 13 mpg. But I wouldn't trade it for anything!!! Again nice report!!!

I see you are around 13.8mpg(US) or 16.6mpg(Imp)   

Just wondering, are you resetting your TC?(total consumption) on gauge?   Or are you doing your MPG by hand?   Just because as you probably know its very tricky on the Doos to calculate MPG as getting the SAME FILL each time due to "burping" the tank is not consistent.   If i run lakes all day basically WOT or run all day in soft/fresh snow i will get around 13.5mpg(US) but that is rare.   I run mine pretty hard and always see min 15mpg but typically 17mpg in a nice mix of muskoka trails firm and well setup.   Try resetting your "trip B" and this will also reset your TC mpg, then just ride and see if it comes up....Mine was stuck at 13mpg also but this was from the breakin period where it dumps a ton fuel/oil into engine.  

Otherwise, Im glad you enjoy your sled...im very impressed with these etecs, guys seem to be saying the 14s are bang on, after 11s and 12s having some issues, and now the latest software they seem to have the 800s flawless and now equally as reliable as the 600s etecs.  

Being back on a 2 stroke was a tough pill to swallow but wow, the light weight fun makes ya feel 18 again, and 200 mile days im fresh and ready to go!

Dan

Looks like it is capable of time travel - title of Dan's report reads "Today's Ride January 14"? :icon_cankick:

Looks like he zoomed ahead to ride on February 14 and beyond....lol....great reports Dan!

OMG im sorry!   thanks so much for letting me know, im usually very anal about proof-reading!!   

Im glad this wonderful site allows for editing of "titles"....Not typical for most forums im on.

thanks!

Dan

Just wondering, are you resetting your TC?(total consumption) on gauge? Or are you doing your MPG by hand? Just because as you probably know its very tricky on the Doos to calculate MPG as getting the SAME FILL each time due to "burping" the tank is not consistent. If i run lakes all day basically WOT or run all day in soft/fresh snow i will get around 13.5mpg(US) but that is rare. I run mine pretty hard and always see min 15mpg but typically 17mpg in a nice mix of muskoka trails firm and well setup. Try resetting your "trip B" and this will also reset your TC mpg, then just ride and see if it comes up....Mine was stuck at 13mpg also but this was from the breakin period where it dumps a ton fuel/oil into engine.

Otherwise, Im glad you enjoy your sled...im very impressed with these etecs, guys seem to be saying the 14s are bang on, after 11s and 12s having some issues, and now the latest software they seem to have the 800s flawless and now equally as reliable as the 600s etecs.

Being back on a 2 stroke was a tough pill to swallow but wow, the light weight fun makes ya feel 18 again, and 200 mile days im fresh and ready to go!

Dan

no I always reset trip a that's probably my problem. Thanks Dan

Yea I test drove a 1200 last year to see if I wouldn't mind the extra weight. Needles to say I stayed with the etec. I'm more on the aggressive side so i like being able to throw it around if need be.

Glad you are liking yours aswell. Nice looking sled!!! Feels nice being 18 again!!!! Hehe!!!

Just wondering, are you resetting your TC?(total consumption) on gauge?   Or are you doing your MPG by hand?   Just because as you probably know its very tricky on the Doos to calculate MPG as getting the SAME FILL each time due to "burping" the tank is not consistent.   If i run lakes all day basically WOT or run all day in soft/fresh snow i will get around 13.5mpg(US) but that is rare.   I run mine pretty hard and always see min 15mpg but typically 17mpg in a nice mix of muskoka trails firm and well setup.   Try resetting your "trip B" and this will also reset your TC mpg, then just ride and see if it comes up....Mine was stuck at 13mpg also but this was from the breakin period where it dumps a ton fuel/oil into engine.  

Dan

I am enjoying reading your guys reviews on the new(er) Doo's, making my decision on whether to get one that much easier!

Dan, I assume your's is the shorty Doo? That is my current dilemma, go renegade, or long track, or stick to a shorty?

I am/was thinking my next sled would be a long(er) track, Vector LTX or a Renegade Doo, but with the repeated good reports on the R-Motion skid, I am not so sure I need a long(er) tracked sled now?

If I go Vector, then yes, an LTX is the only way to go imo, but I am totally confused if I should go that same route with a Doo or not?

I am strictly a trail rider. 

I am enjoying reading your guys reviews on the new(er) Doo's, making my decision on whether to get one that much easier!

Dan, I assume your's is the shorty Doo? That is my current dilemma, go renegade, or long track, or stick to a shorty?

I am/was thinking my next sled would be a long(er) track, Vector LTX or a Renegade Doo, but with the repeated good reports on the R-Motion skid, I am not so sure I need a long(er) tracked sled now?

If I go Vector, then yes, an LTX is the only way to go imo, but I am totally confused if I should go that same route with a Doo or not?

I am strictly a trail rider. 

Interesting choices IMO......a Vector is a nice groomed trail "big mile" sled with great economy 4 stroke, and a very "old school" seating position IMO.

So comparing any vector to any etec (rev xp/xs) is really like night and day.  

These etecs are so so so much lighter then the older Yams, its hard to thoroughly relay in type how much more fun they are to ride, and how much less fatigued you will be after a 200 mile day in twistys and bumps.  

I owned an apex from 06 to 2013.  It was my fave alltime sled, tons of power and very reliable, no smoke or oil usage, decent MPG around 13-15mpg(US)   

When i bought a new cat turbo, it felt lighter and totally awesome with rider forward position, but was plagued with poor engineering. I would never touch a procross cat or viper after I dove into how poorly the cats are designed and built, and even after 4 season cat still has not figured out the belt blowing.

Once I rode an etec X package with Rmotion on bumps, i was blown away...i thought the cat rode great, and apex too.....but man o man riding the cat and etec back to back down same bumpy trail truly was the best comparo ever, cat rode like a brick compared to Rmo.

So IMO there is no choice, considering a vector which is a very old chassis with a very old skid, would not even be in the mix....the vector does have incredible MPG, great power, and 4 stroke reliability and ultra longevity.  If you want to keep this sled for 10,000+ miles, and ride smooth fast long trails, and tour big miles, then by all means buy a vector. These will give you miles of smiles as long as you are ok with that old seat position.

As for an etec....The X package which is spring order only, and comes with the premium gauges and clicker shocks which are well worth it IMO.  I would not buy a TnT package, even though many people own them and like them, i simply wanted the better shocks and best gauges.  The tnt you can pick up during the season(without spring ordering) at most dealers, they do offer better pricing then an X but at the same time wont have the great resale value that an X has.

137 Gade vs. 120 Mxz.---  I have always been a shorty guy, I ride muskoka trails and anyone around here knows we have some of the tightest twisty trails around,  This is where the mxz-X shorty works so well.  I have rode plenty of 129" and 137" sleds around my trails, and IMO if you are studded you will always have more "Push" with the longer studded track vs. short tracks.....So now you must add larger carbides to turn in twistys and now you have made the nice light steering etec HEAVY.   

So what it comes down to is what type trails you ride primarily....IMO the Rmotion does everything so well, along with the incredible X seat(plushest seat ive ever sat on) you will never feel like you get beat up on the shorty.   Sure the 137 will bridge the short studders better, but the shorty does so well in studders I will take it everytime.   With the shorty you can keep smaller carbide, and keep light steering, and carve up the tight twistys much better with much less push then the gade.

I think probably a bigger question for you is....will you be ok with going back to 2 stroke after owning 4 strokes.....personally i thought i WOULD NEVER go back to 2 stroke after running 4s since 06.    But the etec does everything so well, and is very refined and quiet, you almost forget its a 2s.  The big thing i dont like is burning oil, and smell of oil....I run interceptor oil cause XPS DOO oil just plain stinks to high heaven and gives me headaches.  Burning oil just plain sucks compared to 4s since they burn NONE.  And you must use 91premium fuel.  So even though etecs get amazing fuel economy, the prem fuel and oil usage can bring total cost of ownership up quickly, depending on miles per season.  If you go with the 600etec, they get about double the OIL economy that my 800 gets, and the 600etec has plenty of jam for trail riding, the 800 is needed for lake running though if you run with guys with bigger sleds, the 600 would be very close to a vector HP wise.  

Not sure what else i can add....but the etec will make a 50 yr old feel 18 again!   Lots of us all agree we ride like kids again, not tired after a 200 mile days, where the cat/apex would have me wiped out.  Just remember with a 2s you will want to trade up more often,they will never have the motor longevity IMO of a 4s.     Something you may consider is the 1200 DOO.   You can get it with Rmotion in gade or mxz shorty, and have the benefit of a 4s 1200 motor(same class as viper@ 135hp)    The drawback of the 1200 IMO is its not as light as the etecs, with 40lbs additional it does not sound bad, but its all in the nose and you do feel it in trails, ive rode one back to back with mine and you do feel it.   But if you wanted a 4s exclusively, this would be the one you want....better then viper or vector IMO all around.  

You could also look at the new 900ace, love this sled as we rode them.....light, 4s great mpg.....only thing lacking is it only has 95hp or so....and is slower then a 600etec on top end.  But if power is not a big deal, these new ACE 900s are loved by most who bought them, and magazine writers give them great reviews.  

also, keep eye out for possibly updated 15 doo,  as the 1200 doo is really getting dated(came out 09) and has no changes.  So if they update the chassis to rev xs or maybe a larger ACE motor for 15, this would be the ultimate sled to have.....a lighter 4s, the sled that most everyone is waiting for.

15 doos will be revealed on march 4th.   Dootalk has tons of great info if you are considering any new doo....I have never loved a new sled so much as this one i own now.  2000 miles on her already, just gas and go.

Dan

Great info dan!!! 100% agree I have the 137 renegade and it does tend to push in the corners but makes up for it in ride comfort over the bumps. I have driven a new 14 mxz x short track this year and it is much better in the corners but a little bit more choppy at times. I know this won't help your decision but I'm not sure what I will do next short track or long. But one thing for sure it will be the etec once again.

Mike

nope, the renegade is just as good or superior to the 120. I ride all of the muskoka trails and the new rmotion gade doesn't push. I wouldn't go back to a shorty again and I vowed to only own those. Set up is crucial. One step up on the quick adjust means the world.

Try one.

nope, the renegade is just as good or superior to the 120. I ride all of the muskoka trails and the new rmotion gade doesn't push. I wouldn't go back to a shorty again and I vowed to only own those. Set up is crucial. One step up on the quick adjust means the world.

Try one.

i agree on the renegade, i won't go back to a shorty, mine doesnt push, its all in set up, and i ride the heavy 1200, lmao

Try one.

i agree on the renegade, i won't go back to a shorty, mine doesnt push, its all in set up, and i ride the heavy 1200, lmao

I know we all have our faves....but, i ride them back to back on same trail sections alot.  Have you guys?  I mean back to back same day same trail?

The only way to truly know how each sled reacts in certain trails or bumps ect is same day, same trail,back to back.   And while I completely agree the Gade has its place and does alot BETTER then the shorty on the junk on wide open trails, running it in tight and twisty trails when compared to a shorty is not where it shines. Wider longer track will never turn as well, and will always push slightly more then a shorty, just a fact.

There is No way i can run the gade through my back trail(ultra tight and twisty) at the speed i can run my shorty through there....just not possible.  Im talking etec to etec, Gade to shorty only.    And when you throw in 1200, now you are way down in speed on tight stuff with the addition of 33-40lbs in the nose.

By no means am I brand loyal or loyal to any track length, they all do well at what they are designed for.  And the shorty does have its shortcomings in short chop in direct comparo, but with Rmotion its barely noticeable since its ultra bump compliant.

I personally will always take the lighter,most maneuverable,and most flickable design everytime for where i ride.   ;)

Dan

Archived