A day late Massey to Shining tree

zrtkat

Good eve everyone a little up-date from yesterday from Massey to Shining tree scott and paige (AC+YA) and zrtkat and crew left Massey heading towards Shining tree we had great trails leaving , we stopped and had coffee at a little Cafe before leaving on our adventure , as we are having coffee 2 snowmobilers stop in and get directions ,scott gave them directions to the trail as he knows the area.

We saddle up and leave about 1 hour on trails we come around a bend and scott stops we wonder why he is stopping well we look around and we see on of the guys that stopped and asked directions in the woods off the trail. well if scott did not notice him we all would have drove right bye , he blended right in with the trees well luckily the fellow was ok.we hooked a tow rope on him and pulled him out to the trail and he was off on his way.

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s265/zrtkat/Masseytoshiningtree003_zpsc685fe46.jpg

well we take off we take the trail that bypasses Sudbury we stop at a place in windy lake fuel up and they tell us last gas stop until Shining tree , well they tell me its 110 miles to shining tree well we miscalcululated the mileage when we got to the C trail we where north of Capreol.

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s265/zrtkat/Masseytoshiningtree007_zps2dcfee05.jpg

ok we see a sign for km to shing tree ,well we said we are good to go.

Well we see the next mileage sign and the KM was totally differant and I knew that zrtkat and crew where in trouble ,well short of Shining Tree my low fuel Guage starts flashing,we keep going to make it to the split where scott and Paige are going to Gowganda for the n ight we where 12 miles from shing tree. well scott had extra gas so the 2 turbos split the gallon of gas and the ski-doo still had 1 bar of fuel left so we took off ,it was the worst feeling thinking of running out of fuel.

well we started getting close to shining tree and see a sled coming at us and we find out Kelly From 3 bears sent Brandon out to look for us.she also called Rockys to see if we where there and another place . to see if we where in trouble.well we got here late and was so happy we got there safely .

I want to say thank-you Kelly and Brandon for caring enough to check on us and to make sure we where safe ,I will never forget what you guys did and thank-you so much for your hospitality and cooking us a fantastic dinner so late at night .

And Thank you scott for the gallon of gas to get us to shining tree

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s265/zrtkat/Masseytoshiningtree003_zpsc685fe46.jpg

Zrtkat and crew

Wow that guy that went off the trail is lucky your group saw him. If he was between sports mans and shining tree could have been a bad deal. I have rode thru there a few times and wondered what if? It's a long and lonely stretch of trail. Good job.

Thanks for the report zrtkat. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

It is no fun worrying about fuel when riding, been there done that.

Kudos to Kelly and Brandon for making sure that you guys made it safe and sound, folks like them are part of the reason I enjoy Ontario riding so much.

Keep the updates coming ZRT, I enjoy the reading.

Max

Yup so true not a good feeling when u r nursing ur sled to the next gas station and hoping it's around the next corner. Special thanks to Scott and Paige stand up people. As are most people in our sport. How do u like the new cat zrt, aswell as ur brother with the new renagade? Looks like a good beginning of ur trip enjoy and be safe.

Yup so true not a good feeling when u r nursing ur sled to the next gas station and hoping it's around the next corner. Special thanks to Scott and Paige stand up people. As are most people in our sport. How do u like the new cat zrt, aswell as ur brother with the new renagade? Looks like a good beginning of ur trip enjoy and be safe.

crazylegs

I am enjoying my new cat , heated seat, love it LOL. lots of power zrtkat was coming out of elklake wide open trail opened it up that turbo rocks .

my brother renegade he loves it fuel mileage 22 mpg so far nice ride

have a great day

zrtkat

We did the same thing a few years ago; it's really stressful thinking about how far will you have to walk.  We just made it.  Kelly and Brandon did the same for us, calling around checking to see if anyone had seen us.  This really a great group of people, everyone should make it a point to ride through Shining Tree and Gowganda.

Interesting about the search party:

Back in prolly '97/'98 season - one yr after we ran out of gas on the D trail up from Searchmont - we were once again riding up to Wawa.

We each had +10 gal of gas (as opposed to only +6 the last time) but the trail was clear - as opposed to pushing 18" of fresh the last time.

This is back before Halfway was there...

It was a little after dark and we were still on the hydro line somewhere. All alone - never seen another sled on that trail back then ....

Remember - I said that it was after dark ...

I was running point and I am just running along easy .... and all of a sudden I thought a train was about to hit me!  :hyper:

I knew that we were 25 klicks from a R/R as the raven flies, but all of a sudden - out of no-where - a headlight shined on me at eye level from within 2M of my head from the west side!  :hyper:

I stopped and checked my undies, somehow they were still white, but ... had'ta check ...

Turns out Willie and Bonnie up to The Bristol Motel in Wawa sent their boy Mark out to check on us and make sure that we made it in this time. I didn't notice him (as I wasn't expecting to see anyone) but he seen us from way ahead (as he was looking for us) and he pulled off the trail and ponied up to a hill right next to the trail and shut his Mtn Max off. Waited 'till I got RIGHT there and lit it up!  :hyper:

Dang kids .....  :icon_hyper:

(Mark is a great kid and I think very highly of him!)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that guy that went off the trail is lucky your group saw him. If he was between sports mans and shining tree could have been a bad deal. I have rode thru there a few times and wondered what if? It's a long and lonely stretch of trail. Good job.

I rode that section one night back to three bears alone after my buddies sled went down. We arranged for a ride back for him by car but by then it was late so I rode my sled back. I did not see any sleds at all. Stopped to put my fleece back on as she was getting pretty darn nippy  quick. I bet if my flashlight had quit I would of never found my own sled in the dark. Toss in some heavy snow and the thought occurred to me, what the hell am I doing out here! If I went off the trail with the snow falling no one would find me until the spring thaw................. I was never so happy to hear my sled light on the first pull as that night.

That night having a few beers we were sitting with several others we had just met and one of the fella's offers up their sled for my buddy to ride the next day as they were staying around camp. We never took them up on it though but it was a great offer from someone we had just met earlier that night. Funny thing is we were telling the story of our day another fella at the table is like............you have to be kidding. He had broke down at Three Bears and his truck was at Rockies with has trailer, we broke at Rockies and our truck was at three bears. If we would have known we could have grabbed his truck and brought it up with our sleds in it and saved allot of time.

That is a long lonely stretch and not the best place to ride alone.  Makes me think about times I have had to ride alone.

Interesting about the search party:

Back in prolly '97/'98 season - one yr after we ran out of gas on the D trail up from Searchmont - we were once again riding up to Wawa.

We each had +10 gal of gas (as opposed to only +6 the last time) but the trail was clear - as opposed to pushing 18" of fresh the last time.

This is back before Halfway was there...

It was a little after dark and we were still on the hydro line somewhere. All alone - never seen another sled on that trail back then ....

Remember - I said that it was after dark ...

I was running point and I am just running along easy .... and all of a sudden I thought a train was about to hit me!  :hyper:

I knew that we were 25 klicks from a R/R as the raven flies, but all of a sudden - out of no-where - a headlight shined on me at eye level from within 2M of my head from the west side!  :hyper:

I stopped and checked my undies, somehow they were still white, but ... had'ta check ...

Turns out Willie and Bonnie up to The Bristol Motel in Wawa sent their boy Mark out to check on us and make sure that we made it in this time. I didn't notice him (as I wasn't expecting to see anyone) but he seen us from way ahead (as he was looking for us) and he pulled off the trail and ponied up to a hill right next to the trail and shut his Mtn Max off. Waited 'till I got RIGHT there and lit it up!  :hyper:

Dang kids .....  :icon_hyper:

(Mark is a great kid and I think very highly of him!)

that there is funny s#!t rotflmao

Archived