B trail Carnarvon

cehyoopers

ok, I am breaking my NYE resolution, posting after 7 and after a drink,,, oh wait that was a face book resolution, cool,

How is it the B trail in Haliburton is closed??? WB please to not chime in,lol. That interactive trail map sucks???

Thats odd. HCSA website shows it green and yellow, OFSC shows it red, HCSA facebook says B closed between trail 4 and trail 6 due to broken down groomer but they have a re-route. No idea which is correct but hopefully someone will answer from the club.

Since the club didn't answer I took the sled out for a ride.

B from Beech river to trail 4 is a very bumpy green. The B is closed at trail 4 over to trail 6 due to a broken down groomer. The groomer is in a very difficult place to see it until you are right on it. The club has done a re-route from trail 4 to trail 6 at which point you can get back on the bumpy green B. The club has done a very good job of signing on  the re-route and it is a very quick easy detour. I was told that the rail trail and E over towards Bancroft is in good condition.

I too rode this trail today but for a different reason. Rode my driveway to the b103 to the 7 never seen better, both groomed. Made our way up to the B trail in question and found a clearly taped-off trail entrance and reroute all in one area. Followed Tulip rd for 4km and a field for 2 km and caught the B again. Rode straight to Hall's lake and had a great talk up there as to what happened with the groomer and how the other 5 groomers were doing. Saw a groomer on the B by the Hawks. Rode the 8 to Carnavon for lunch.Took the 4 to the b112 fueled in Minden and headed home

lots of new snow and ALL trails either groomed or in the process of being done

more to come

LIVIN'

sooooo,you think the groomer issue will be addressed but today??

The groomer issue is resolved in that, a re-route is in place and  another groomer was already working this area yesterday afternoon. I have been given access to groomer info by the club and will post when I can. I was told the B trail would be fully groomed by this am. Hopefully they didn't have stop because of the nasty snow squalls

hope that helps

LIVIN'

Good news.

Well didn't take long for my computer prowess to show ! Went on line from my office this am and turned myself into a cat !? Tina must be logged in on this machine will fix it asap

LIVIN' ( I THINK )

I have a question..... why are the groomers out during the day. I've heard from many riders/neighbours that they met the groomer on the B towards Whitney during the afternoon and today the groomer is out on the rail trail. Okay, so not a lot of riders today I'll give you that however....

1. It is -15 today. If the groomers had been out last evening packing down the new snowfall it would have had a chance to set up nicely overnight when it dropped in temperature. Almost no traffic to mess it up. Grooming during the day on a Friday and Saturday is just a waste of resources, manpower and financially.

2. It used to be policy across Ontario to groom at night to give greater visibility of the groomers running/strobe lights to oncoming riders (if there is any) thereby lessening the liability to the club. The only time daytime running was usually done was when trails were being broken early in the season.

Is that a club policy to groom at night? I've never heard that before. As for the time the groomers are out. Maybe that is when the operators can get out.

thanks for your question snowdancer, please remember I am just getting started with giving HCSA a pair of ears and a voice on this forum. I don't have an answer but will make a call and respond before day's end

thanks

LIVIN'

WHEW! got rid of the cat!

LIVIN'

Hi Livin'. Just got in from a ride and the B and B103 on the Hali side of the detour were groomed and great riding. The B from the detour to the Beech River, where I get on, hasn't been groomed. The detour has been plowed and sanded but is still ok.

Hello jrhz06, Thanks for the update. hope you had a good ride, I've been taking my beating in stride today!!

LIVIN'

Any idea when the B from Baker's Lk to Hawk Lk will be groomed?

Is that a club policy to groom at night? I've never heard that before. As for the time the groomers are out. Maybe that is when the operators can get out.

Allot of clubs groom at night, when traffic is light and it allows the base a chance to setup too. Grooming during high traffic times, can do more harm then good.

Hi Livin'. Just got in from a ride and the B and B103 on the Hali side of the detour were groomed and great riding. The B from the detour to the Beech River, where I get on, hasn't been groomed. The detour has been plowed and sanded but is still ok.

I too rode this trail today but for a different reason. Rode my driveway to the b103 to the 7 never seen better, both groomed. Made our way up to the B trail in question and found a clearly taped-off trail entrance and reroute all in one area. Followed Tulip rd for 4km and a field for 2 km and caught the B again. Rode straight to Hall's lake and had a great talk up there as to what happened with the groomer and how the other 5 groomers were doing. Saw a groomer on the B by the Hawks. Rode the 8 to Carnavon for lunch.Took the 4 to the b112 fueled in Minden and headed home

lots of new snow and ALL trails either groomed or in the process of being done

more to come

LIVIN'

Hey Livin',

Your reports so far seem a little "bushy tailed". I rode the B yesterday and was NOT impressed. There was no way a two up would have enjoyed any of the trails I was on. I finally met up with a groomer (at the wrong time for grooming) just south of the B and E intersection, but he sure as hell wasn't headed towards Beech River!

"The B from the detour to the Beech River, where I get on, hasn't been groomed." and we all know the HCSA doesn't give a damn about this trail - even though it is a TOP Trail and part of the RAP Tour Loop and a TOTAL FREAKING EMBARRASSMENT.

Allot of clubs groom at night, when traffic is light and it allows the base a chance to setup too. Grooming during high traffic times, can do more harm then good.

What kind of more harm then good?

What kind of more harm then good?

Doesn't setup because of the traffic, if it is sunny it melts down the base. Ask luc you grooms mostly at night.

Not around here. We groom when the operator has time. I have also seen 24 hour grooming signs.

Not around here. We groom when the operator has time. I have also seen 24 hour grooming signs.

Haliburton is one of the only clubs in the region that does a lot of their grooming during the day & I was told last year that it was in fact because the op(s) didn't want to go out at night - this might explain crappy weekend conditions as you can't groom on Saturday during the day, way too busy & very dangerous.  They need to try to find someone who will, give him an extra couple bucks an hour if that helps, you will not have to groom as frequently, and you'll get more permits sold because your trails will be better.

As has been stated, the trails need time to set & you don't get that with day time grooming, especially in a busy area like Haliburton.

So Canadoo, is what you're telling us is that the club has paid groomer operators and it's the groomer operators that decide when to groom? Doesn't sound very well organized or planned.

So Canadoo, is what you're telling us is that the club has paid groomer operators and it's the groomer operators that decide when to groom? Doesn't sound very well organized or planned.

I dont know if they are paid or not to be honest with you, I assume they are as they would be one of the only in the region with UNpaid operators, save for a club president who might jump in when necessary pro bono...

I believe it makes sense to pay your operators, volunteers have little incetive to go out for 10 hours at night IMO and are much more likely to cancel shifts.  Find operators who sled & want to put down a nice ribbon.    I can't think of why it would be that hard to find a sledder with some time off in the winter in Haliburton, who has driven machinery, and then train them PROPERLY.

Archived