interactive trail map updates

velo

Hey All, Anyone know if there is any fixed times to the "twice weekly" updates on the map? 
I realize club sites are way better and much more detailed (thanks) however sometimes its nice to see the 
broader picture without going to a bunch of different sites and trying to piece it all together.. 

I believe the update days are Monday and Thursday but the updating gets done by the designated person in the district any time through the day as is convenient or they receive them from the clubs. My thoughts are any club posting trail conditions on their own website are leaving themselves open for liability if they don't match the official OFSC trail condition website. Sadly giving too much info can hurt you.

I believe the update days are Monday and Thursday but the updating gets done by the designated person in the district any time through the day as is convenient or they receive them from the clubs. My thoughts are any club posting trail conditions on their own website are leaving themselves open for liability if they don't match the official OFSC trail condition website. Sadly giving too much info can hurt you.

This is the unfortunate truth

I didn't think clubs where allowed to post trail stats anymore on their local sites...

And as I understood updates to trail stats are done real time at the district level whenever they like. The twice a week think went away with the text based updates.

Not so.  The clubs report at least twice a week, but someone from the district actually updates the site.  Clubs can maintain their own sites and report conditions, but the description is ridiculously limited.

although twice a week is minimal in circumstance where trails absolutely require updating the club can send the information to their district if staff is available it will be updated. Most districts only have one on staff and that one has a life too so off schedule updates may not be posted right away 

As I watched things opening over the last 3 weeks or so, i saw additional KMs of trails being added almost every few hrs that I logged on....So i believe the clubs can send the updates thru to the OFSC anytime they want.   

But for the most part once things are steady with trails, you will generally see updates every thursday.

As I watched things opening over the last 3 weeks or so, i saw additional KMs of trails being added almost every few hrs that I logged on....So i believe the clubs can send the updates thru to the OFSC anytime they want.   

But for the most part once things are steady with trails, you will generally see updates every thursday.

standard days for updates are Mon and Thu but there is the ability for a club to get an update pushed through from the district office outside that window especially if there is a sudden change

Is anyone else experiencing odd things with the ITG today? Depending the level of zoom I am at shows different conditions. These same trails are a different red the trails that are closed.   

I'm seeing the same thing. There is some kind of a glitch with the Interactive Trail Guide. Trails I rode today are showing as red online, but they were in top notch condition when we got off them an hour ago..

Yeah, it's screwed up for sure.  Lots of areas on red trails showing a brief section of green, completely isolated.  Zoom in or out and the colors change.  Glad it's a glitch - we're going up to Parry Sound area tomorrow and I thought the trails were closed!

I was just about to start a new thread but yes there is some serious glitch with the trail guide. As I zoom in trail condition changes and the red lines seems to be much narrower and darker than usual. It seems the glitch is only present while USING CHROME and IN SAFARI the glitch was not there. 

I dont really care it just freaked the helk out of me when all of LOB area was closed

Is anyone else experiencing odd things with the ITG today? Depending the level of zoom I am at shows different conditions. These same trails are a different red the trails that are closed.

Ya, I saw the same thing. I didn't realize the zoom was affecting line colour until later; just assumed some trails had closed for unknown reasons. I had it happen on both the mobile and desktop versions.

I seem to remember this happening last year also.

Probably getting overloaded with sledders loggin on this morning!!!!   '

On a side note...remember when the old maps all used to have "dashed lines" for road running?

I really miss that!  when planning a ride when we know the snow is low, it would be so great to have those dashed lines back on the map!.....I wonder if we could start a petition of some sort to try to see if this would be feasible?  

How hard would it be for the clubs to send in their road runs, and then get the OFSC to either put dashed lines in, or maybe just use another COLOR code in the legend for all road run sections.

IMO this would make the guide 100% perfection!

Dan

On one of probably 10 Fridays left the map goes down..Really bad timing.

On one of probably 10 Fridays left the map goes down..Really bad timing.

I hope we get 10 Fridays left

Probably getting overloaded with sledders loggin on this morning!!!!   '

On a side note...remember when the old maps all used to have "dashed lines" for road running?

I really miss that!  when planning a ride when we know the snow is low, it would be so great to have those dashed lines back on the map!.....I wonder if we could start a petition of some sort to try to see if this would be feasible?  

How hard would it be for the clubs to send in their road runs, and then get the OFSC to either put dashed lines in, or maybe just use another COLOR code in the legend for all road run sections.

IMO this would make the guide 100% perfection!

Dan

You are not the first to ask that. I have had parents ask me about it when I have met up with them on trail. They want their young kids to be compliant and not running road only to find they get so far and then have to run road. I have asked that the district update their map to show road... look on the paper map legend and it still shows the dotted line but doesn't seem to appear on the map. Apparenlty the clubs need to pass the information on to the district and then it will happen but unless the clubs do it just remains the status quo

Unfortunately our sport is becoming more of an exercise in legal risk management to protect everyone from everyone and less of a participant sport.

I used to do up detailed maps yearly for our club and a neighbour club with all sorts of info and one of the fellas had them printed, now we point riders to the OFSC to off load risk.

On the website I used to comment on trails and conditions - now just point to the OFSC again to off load risk. I no longer even have a map that can be downloaded on the site - just a pointer to trail conditions on the OFSC site.

We started a project to put our trails onto GPS for riders but scrapped it due to potential for risk if a trail had to be moved for some reason or it was not 100% accurate.

The unfortunate reality of our times is many people no longer accept any responsibility for their actions and anything that goes wrong must be someone's fault for which they should be handsomely rewarded.

When I first got involved in organized snowmobiling it was about making better trails, meeting new friends and having fun with others who shared our passion. Now it is paperwork, paperwork, risk management, few more forms, fines for this and late that, litigation, lawsuits and more paperwork. Volunteers are now stretched very thin with all the additional work the administration side of snowmobiling requires.

Snowmobiling is an off road activity and as such a certain amount of risk is inherent. When I accidentally passed through a barbwire fence did I sue, no I fixed the fence and apologized to the landowner. Why, because me driving through his fence had nothing to do with him or anyone else for that matter. I was just happy to have ducked in time and be able to ride the damaged sled out instead of walk.

Well said

That's good information to know about when the OFSC Viewer gets updated.  Thanks for sharing.

I do notice a contrast from what our Club Website displays and the OFSC viewer, whereas the Club updates their site daily.  As of today, all main trails are green on the club website, but showing yellow on the OFSC viewer.  As a regular club meeting attendee and volunteer, I know for a fact our trails are green.  I suspect this may be a problem for other districts as well.

http://www.ssmtrailblazers.com

Curious about how a trail actually makes it on to the map, or gets removed...  I'm only confidently familiar with the areas I run on a regular basis (down in D5) and I know a few of the trails on the interactive map have either moved or are gone comletely.  This is the 3rd year that two defunct trails are still listed.  I had a look at the map today to figure out just where I rode near Elora yesterday...my GPS tracks are way off in some spots.  Intersections missing on the map, others where you don't expect them.  Frustrating when you're trying to get somewhere with a printed map from the web site and can't figure out where you are.

Ultimately I always find my way but I hate not knowing if I'm running in the right direction.

Archived