Kirkland Lake area trails starting to open

Ultrafrozen

The club had a few issues opening trails early with all the standing water from the unusually wet fall this year, made it tough on the equipment.  The early snow helped insulate the water until brave souls risked life, limb and sleds to pack the swamps.  Some trails are opening due to a superhuman effort from all the volunteers, thanks goes out to all of them!  I hope this cold snap sets the remaining trails and all other club trails get an open status soon.

You guys don't usually have this much trouble opening.  The bush has been incredibly wet, and water levels have been ultra-high right until late fall.  A couple of years ago we bitched there wasn't enough water, now we're bitching there's too much !

In the good old days we'd all be out early on the power line earning bragging rights when starting to break the first trails, every hill was a new challenge, and had a new bragging right earned.  Old Eric S. with his 197? 292 Panther, me with a TX 340 and George L. with his Formula Plow LT ..... the good old days !!!!!

Im headed there today via engleheart can't wait!  Been a  year since my last visit to the federal.

The Federal Tavern has been hit-n-miss for me lately, only 75% hit I'd guess.  A few times the food was not up to their regular high quality.  I hope you have good luck.

If you are looking for an alternate, try Mama's on the corner of Duncan and Prospect Avenues.  You can get there by heading west about two kms on L102 off of A108 (Federal slimes) and heading south on Goodfish Road (Airport Road) until you're a half km passed the OPP station.  Great Greek and Canadian food all the time.

If you know how to get to the Fed then you know where the Federal slimes are, big open area just north of the big red Toburn mine headframe.

good news,,

still some wet spots hear in timmins,,,hard to beleave with all the cold weather and less snow this year.

the new 1 foot off snow saterday and sunday will realy help out

thanks for the update.

We turned around about 20km south of KL headed up from Engleheart yesterday.  It seemed it wasn't groomed the last stretch and with the fresh snow and bumps it was a slow go and we were running out of time.  We left late because its so damn cold out I think its around -37* here today so its likely an inside day!  Thanks for the tips on the restaurants thats great we always like new places.

I "heard" Macphearsons changed hands is this true?  If so were going to miss old Ian's witty comments when refueling haha! 

It seems the snow is crappy for making trails right now its so dry and its been so cold its tough to get a real solid base.  Echo had groomed night before last and we were first tracks on yesterday and it wasn't even setup.  If you hopped off you sunk right in.

With the amout of snow we really need guys on sleds running across the swamps etc to make em freeze or there will be a lot of sunk groomers this season.  Elk Lake trail blazers put theirs in a swamp yesterday.  I think packing is a must a few days before a planned crossing no matter how small the swamp lots of water this season.

We turned around about 20km south of KL headed up from Engleheart yesterday.  It seemed it wasn't groomed the last stretch and with the fresh snow and bumps it was a slow go and we were running out of time.  We left late because its so damn cold out I think its around -37* here today so its likely an inside day!  Thanks for the tips on the restaurants thats great we always like new places.

I "heard" Macphearsons changed hands is this true?  If so were going to miss old Ian's witty comments when refueling haha! 

It seems the snow is crappy for making trails right now its so dry and its been so cold its tough to get a real solid base.  Echo had groomed night before last and we were first tracks on yesterday and it wasn't even setup.  If you hopped off you sunk right in.

With the amout of snow we really need guys on sleds running across the swamps etc to make em freeze or there will be a lot of sunk groomers this season.  Elk Lake trail blazers put theirs in a swamp yesterday.  I think packing is a must a few days before a planned crossing no matter how small the swamp lots of water this season.

Their groomer was out on unpacked Swamps ?

Their groomer was out on unpacked Swamps ?

I don't have the details on the swamping, but I would hope they were packed ahead of time.  I know the trail is packed from Long point to Elk Lake including all swamps because I did it last week.  Its setup and solid, we have been traveling it all week.

I know swamp packing is very important not just beacuse I have seen it but also speaking with exec's from club Echo there is a trail that runs from charlton to connect with the A going to kirland lake I cannot remember the number, anyways they actually rent an argo with tracks on it each season to pack the swamp down before crossing with the groomer.

Man, sure is taking them a while to get them K.L. trails to Available.  I found it took a while for us, but right after New Years they all turned to Available or Limited (with a couple still closed).  Not even one trail showing Available in K.L. or the surrounding area. 

What gives ?  Your local businesses are going to suffer if they don't change soon, all the tourists are gonna drive straight past and start riding in Cochrane.

We lost two out of three groomers (one gone 'til next year) and only have the small one left.  It's not big enough to open fresh trail but can groom already opened trail if you know what I mean.  We lost a long time groomer operator to a fatal accident last year, and another to full time employment.  Two new operators stuck around for a little training and decided it wasn't for them.  Two other operators we have now are both doing well and I hope stick around.  Some areas still have a lot of downed trees and need some volunteers with long track sleds to get in and clean-up before the big groomer comes back on line.  I might try and get in to one area Sunday with snow shoes and an axe to see if I can do some damage.

I don't think many tourists will be up this way yet as the trails are too good down south.  We usually see them only after the trails go to crap down there.

Yeah, I can see that from him.  He's a go-getter, a bit like me.... I've done similar.  Sometimes we do what's just gotta get done, someone has to take the lead.  Attago Andre.

The A109 trail was OK today, no snowshoes required, we had a Renegade up front packing the way for the Yamahas.  Others had ridden up to the log jam and turned around so it wasn't too bad if you stayed on the single track.  I tried the soft snow a few times and was quickly reminded that a short tracked Yamaha does NOT float in the deep stuff, fun flipper to the bar time.  There were only about four or five large poplars down across the trail from 14" up to 18" in diameter.  I tried to take pics of the 30" of snow piled on top of the criss-crossed trees but my BB phone froze up again.  I'll have to throw a hand warmer in the pocket with the phone or remember to bring my camera next time.  Heading out tomorrow to make an attempt at running the swampy A trail to Matachewan from Kenogami.  Once the big groomer is back, these trails should open fast.

I think the "limited" status is due to a fear of liability as the trail I was on today was in great shape.  Our club seems to be a little cautious as even volunteers can be sued if someone gets hurt!  Only my opinion.

Rode up yesterday from Earlton after returning from QC early in the morning.  Trails were great over your way.  Had lunch at the federal before heading home.  Big wet snow flakes yesterday.

Hey Jamie, glad to hear you had a good run.

We went packing the A trail from Kenogami out towards Matachewan with three sleds today.  I noticed club Echo groomed up the L162 from Charlton up to the A trail intersection and a few kms either side on the A as well to help us out.  I saw your GEM club groomed east to the river crossing near the same intersection so once our big groomer is back, trails should open up quickly.

A LOT of brushing was done on the way back.  I'm beat tired and ready to take a nap but feel great about what was accomplished!

Hey Jamie, glad to hear you had a good run.

We went packing the A trail from Kenogami out towards Matachewan with three sleds today.  I noticed club Echo groomed up the L162 from Charlton up to the A trail intersection and a few kms either side on the A as well to help us out.  I saw your GEM club groomed east to the river crossing near the same intersection so once our big groomer is back, trails should open up quickly.

A LOT of brushing was done on the way back.  I'm beat tired and ready to take a nap but feel great about what was accomplished!

well done

Lots of overhanging branches full of snow on the trails now.  They are working to get the brusher out to clean up.

I was out with the wife and oldest son and cut some of the worst ones in the corners but still a lot of branches left on the A trail and I hear also on the northern part of A108Q.

Lots of overhanging branches full of snow on the trails now.  They are working to get the brusher out to clean up.

I was out with the wife and oldest son and cut some of the worst ones in the corners but still a lot of branches left on the A trail and I hear also on the northern part of A108Q.

Yes sir, I can confirm the A108Q on the north side has a lot of hanging branches, caution must be exercised.  We cut some but it was overwhelming for just two guys.  Lots and lots down, hope the wind picks up and knocks some snow off them.

The brush cutter is scheduled to go out next week pending receipt of the other groomer back from the repair shop Friday.

Again pending receipt of the groomer, the A110Q will be groomed from Kirkland Lake east to Larder Lake Saturday.  The A trail will get groomed from Kenogami south to the L162 intersection Sunday.  I hope all goes well and the trails open soon.

It was confirmed at tonight's club meeting, the A110Q trail from Larder Lake to the Quebec border will not be opened this year.  It figures, I just booked a room in Rouyn on the free weekend.  I'll try to find out if the Lake can be crossed and if a goat trail exists from the lake over to the border.

Please call Crystal at the district office to complain as we need all the support we can get.  PH: 888 828 2766.

Thanks

Thanks for the update Andre

The brush cutter is scheduled to go out next week pending receipt of the other groomer back from the repair shop Friday.

Again pending receipt of the groomer, the A110Q will be groomed from Kirkland Lake east to Larder Lake Saturday.  The A trail will get groomed from Kenogami south to the L162 intersection Sunday.  I hope all goes well and the trails open soon.

It was confirmed at tonight's club meeting, the A110Q trail from Larder Lake to the Quebec border will not be opened this year.  It figures, I just booked a room in Rouyn on the free weekend.  I'll try to find out if the Lake can be crossed and if a goat trail exists from the lake over to the border.

Please call Crystal at the district office to complain as we need all the support we can get.  PH: 888 828 2766.

Thanks

That's really too bad about A110Q East of Larder Lake. Is it a land owner issue or simply an issue of trail rationalization due man hours and budget?

I know this trail well and have ridden it many times.

Can you also supply an email address for TATA.

I'm not sure exactly what the issues are. I know this has traditionally been a hard area to open due to terrain.  It might be even more difficult now due to the amount of snow.  Could also be a money issue as well.  I hear from my brother in Larder Lake that a lot of that area's sledders use the trails and don't buy permits as the trail patrol rarely goes out there from Kirkland Lake.

The TATA website is www.tata-bestsnowmobiling.com and there is a "contact us" link for web based email but no email address that I found.

Archived