Kirkland Lake area trails starting to open

Ultrafrozen

ultra

will make the call & complain...tabernac :phonecall:

Andre, you can normally cross the lake, and get off at V-town, at their old dump road location.  Google Map or Earth will show it .... they had radar runs there one year.  From there it's about 2 km to the village, where you'll prolly find a bunch of local trails that'll link up to the Quebec trails.

You gotta be careful when approaching the narrows between the 2 halves of the lake, the water rarely or never freezes for 100 yards either side of the Narrows, but the terrain allows lots of room to cross over on land, I believe on either side.  I remember crossing there once years ago, albeit there was less snow than this year.

The brush cutter is scheduled to go out next week pending receipt of the other groomer back from the repair shop Friday.

Again pending receipt of the groomer, the A110Q will be groomed from Kirkland Lake east to Larder Lake Saturday.  The A trail will get groomed from Kenogami south to the L162 intersection Sunday.  I hope all goes well and the trails open soon.

It was confirmed at tonight's club meeting, the A110Q trail from Larder Lake to the Quebec border will not be opened this year.  It figures, I just booked a room in Rouyn on the free weekend.  I'll try to find out if the Lake can be crossed and if a goat trail exists from the lake over to the border.

Please call Crystal at the district office to complain as we need all the support we can get.  PH: 888 828 2766.

Thanks

I will be calling today that SUCKS!  We use that trail at least 10 times a season if not more!

Hey,andre,finally made it to this forum,i hope that larder lake trail gets groomed,love riding that portion

Yes, nice trails that way Pat.  I'm looking forward to riding them as well.

The two big groomers are back and with a little work in the morning, one will be out grooming.  The other needs a little more work first.

The little 110 has been acting up and quits running while on the trail.  It might get a little well deserved TLC once the other two tractors are back in operation.

yep,its been working overtime that one,were headed to matachewan this morning,will give a update of the conditions when i come back

We worked on the groomer all morning and home for a quick lunch then in about 10 minutes, heading back out to catch up with the groomer.  Heading out to Larder Lake today and Kenogami A trail to Matachewan junction tomorrow.

good work guys,nice to see the equipement back and running,matach trail was pretty good,wasnt freshly groomed but very rideable,we did 240 km,elk lake have both of there groomers down,hopefully theu get them fixed asap

Kirkland Lake to Larder Lake is passable now, groomed almost to Fork Lake resort but had to drop the drag and climb a steep hill to turn around at the resort.  The new groomer operator does a good job, I saw him get unstuck uphill in the deep snow quite a few times.

From Fork Lake over to Larder Lake is single track and old school bumpy.  Not sure what the Trail Marshall will do tomorrow, head out to Elk Lake "A" trail or finish off Larder Lake run. 

You still considering a lake crossing to V-Town Andre ?  I've been hearing reports everywhere about slush being brutal, just about on every lake that's been drilled for ice fishing.

I haven't had a chance to find out about an alternate local trail yet but I've heard the same thing this way from locals and the New Liskeard guys at work about the slush.  I'll probably pass on the Quebec trip and do a local run instead.

Carole and I are heading south to visit friends (irREVerent) for a Huntsville sled trip instead of heading to Cochrane/Hearst.  With the club taking up most of my riding days, Carole hasn't had the saddle time to build up her trip distance.  Last weekend's 100km loop to Wolf Lake was her first ride over 10km this year.

If the snow holds out, we may head north end of March but probably not all the way up to Hearst with Carole.

The A trail was busted open yesterday from Kenogami south to meet up with the Elk Lake A trail.  It should show limited on the OFSC map soon.

Also the A110Q from Kirkland Lake to Fork Lake (almost to Larder Lake) will show up limited as well.

Response from TATA regarding A110Q to Quebec;

You heard correctly, A110Q will not be open this season.  Why?  Because the club in that area has had nothing but groomer issues since the start of the season.  Not once this year have they had all their groomers operational.  They even had a groomer come in from another club to open some of the trails but that also presented a lot of issues.  The club as well as the district has reached out to people in the Virginiatown and Larder Lake communities for assistance with the trail in that area and nobody was willing to help. At this time it is priority for the club to open their section of the A trail which is still not open.  

That's a bummer,kinda silly to invite riders from quebec on the long weekend with no access to the trails

That's a bummer,kinda silly to invite riders from quebec on the long weekend with no access to the trails

I think it goes deeper than that but who really knows.  From what Andre posted they wanted it open(the club) and TATA pulled the pin.  Wonder if someone in the know can post up the reasoning.

TATA does seem to have issues this season  for some reason

in my opinion,they wait too long before packing,seems its always the holidays that slow everything down,some club members left on holidays right in the middle of all that snow,if you are a dedicated volunteer,you should be available when its time,not gone in jamaica for 2 weeks,i dont usually complain but this season has been the slowest to sart in years and the most snow weve had in years,go figure

in my opinion,they wait too long before packing,seems its always the holidays that slow everything down,some club members left on holidays right in the middle of all that snow,if you are a dedicated volunteer,you should be available when its time,not gone in jamaica for 2 weeks,i dont usually complain but this season has been the slowest to sart in years and the most snow weve had in years,go figure

You hit that one on the head there Pat , My response from Crystal at TATA was were helping all clubs the best we can , sounds like a polititions response 

All I can comment on is the Kirkland Lake volunteers are working hard at making sure the trails are signed, brushed and open.  We've been plagued with equipment breakdowns on the tractors and drags since before Christmas.  We're lucky the little 110 has toughed it out pulling that huge drag all over the swampy and hilly open trails.  Both 125s had issues from a transmission failure, a flat, hitch component failures and now a broken walking beam.  The 110 is starting to show the strain as it also had fuel pump issues and now the PTO to drive the brush cutter has been acting up.

Luckily, we have a few very dedicated veterans and equally dedicated new volunteers putting in many hours of work to open and maintain the trails.  Unfortunately, the groomer breakdowns prevented opening some of the trails while the snow was still at a reasonable level.  The one member that was on vacation does not run the groomer or fix them.  He is one of the hardest working members in the club and I think deserved his yearly vacation.  Other competent members took over his position while he was away and I personally don't think anything would be different if he was in town.  Once the tractors returned to service, the snow was deep and with all the hilly terrain, that made it very difficult for the remaining trails to be opened.  The A trail is now open (broken drag in the process) as well as the A110Q east out to Fork Lake Resort.  I'm not privy to the decision making process which prevented the A110Q trail to open east of Larder Lake but as some of you can attest, this is a VERY hilly and swampy trail section.  This section of trail gets very little legal use from the locals as I'm told by my brother who lives in Larder Lake that very few permits are sold in that area.  Most sledders use the lake to get to Virginia Town then take a chance on the OFSC trail from V-Town over to Quebec to visit the Kanasuta ski hill.  One comment posted on OC referred to a lack of volunteers in that area to pack the trails.  You would need a long track off-trail kind of sled to bust this section of trail open and unfortunately, most trail riders don't have this kind of sled.  All the flat land, rail bed, bush road and field trail clubs can thank their lucky stars.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade the hills and twisties for boring straight flat runs but it sure makes for tough going on the grooming equipment.

I have to plug a local business, MGI Collision here in Kirkland Lake who has volunteered many hours, equipment and material to help maintain bridges and keep equipment running.  Without this help, the club would be out a lot more than the tens of thousands of dollars required for all the equipment repairs this season.

If you want to check out a few pics and videos, search "Golden Corridor Snowdrifters" on Facebook.  I'm the Andre Lebel in some of the pics.

Archived