Bracebridge

Redfisher

I rode it all the way from B trail up to 45, then across 45, up d101b then over to 47. They could all be considered the "baysville exrpess"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a nice run from Gravenhurst to Sprucedale and back today. Made it back home for my 2 o'clock nap. 198 kms of nice riding.

Trails were pretty good, although 37 badly needed grooming north of the 33 cut off.

On the return I slipped down 88 and across Highway 11 to Port Sydney and down. I love the slow smooth winding trail through the hardwoods on 88, but the frequent road running at the south end of 88 and almost to Port Sydney was not the best. Hence the yellow coding, I suppose.

Here's a picture of 88 between D and Highway 11.

post-22473-0-59498800-1388875159_thumb.jpg

Redfisher, we must have passed each other somewhere along the line. I got to Sprucedale just before 11 and came right back down after getting fuel. I assume you were like everybody else and had the opportunity of speaking with the nice OPP between Sprucedale and D?

Indeed. I've always known it as the Baysville Express. GREAT Run ! Sometimes we have even come "close" to reaching the prescribed OFSC maximum speed limit !

Indeed. I've always known it as the Baysville Express. GREAT Run ! Sometimes we have even come "close" to reaching the prescribed OFSC maximum speed limit !

For the first time, I reached it today

Welcome to the 50 km/hr club aar0n

Im not afraid to admit it I went 55 kph there on one of the downhill parts 

WOW! Really?? We've been "close" a few times, but, Really?, you got there ? Awesome !

I sense sarcasm. But, where I ride, reaching 50k is almost impossible. The trails are soo damn windy, hilly, tight. On the long stretch I reached 50 for a brief moment. Generally, I ride around 30km/h, and its a good thing I do because today I met a group coming around a corner completely on my side of the trail doing about 70. I had just enough time to move off into the pow and for them to whiz by. Got it all on video,too. Wish my camera caught their license number

we missed each other again Blake we got off to a late start which is I didn't PM you 

Redfisher, we must have passed each other somewhere along the line. I got to Sprucedale just before 11 and came right back down after getting fuel. I assume you were like everybody else and had the opportunity of speaking with the nice OPP between Sprucedale and D?

They had some guy on the radar and just waved us through. We got to Sprucedale at 1 pm.

Guess we won't head to Sprucedale tomorrow as chances are I will be leading again and we all know that I only travel 55 :)

Im not afraid to admit it I went 55 kph there on one of the downhill parts 

Good thing you've got eps on that Vector.

Sunday morning: Planning to leave Gravenhurst around 1030 to meet my regular riding buddy on the D trail near the Bracebridge Beer Store for 11 a.m.

Hope to see some OC'ers on the trails.

If anyone wants to make concrete arrangements to meet up, just send me a PM before 10 a.m. We're pretty flexible about where we go. Hoping the trails get some snow tonight and aren't trashed by noon tomorrow. :icon_steer: 

Look out for an old guy on a black two up Cat or maybe  a red GSX.

Late this morning I had a nice time on D Trail between Gravenhurst and Bracebidge. About six inches of fresh ungroomed powder, and a bright sunny day. Hard to believe there is a blizzard warning for tonight and tomorrow.

I tried the newly opened Snowcrest 16 that runs due west from D and extends to Taboo Resort. A short trail, but a pretty diversion. It starts by running west off D for half a kilometre along unplowed Barnes Road, to Winhara Road. Then it turns right (north) for about thirty metres along Winhara, then across the road into the bush. The trail is hilly and windy after it crosses the railway tracks, then runs through part of the Taboo golf course. Hopefully it will be possilbe to get onto Lake Muskoka from this trail....right now it ends at the golf course parking lot on Muskoka Beach Road.

Here is a picture of the new junction as seen coming from the south on D, heading to Bracebridge from Gravenhurst. Click to enlarge:

post-22473-0-81293000-1389049610_thumb.jpg

Here's the junction coming from the north heading toward Gravenhurst:

post-22473-0-53677700-1389049646_thumb.jpg

^^ Very cool Blake, great pics and info for a trail that is not even yet on the OFSC guide. wonderful!

It will be great if we can have a lake access down at taboo, perfect spot to jump down to lake,  hopefully that will be in the future of trail 16.

thanks 

Dan

Hey Blake we passed you Saturday on the D trail south of the seguin. Three Doo's and a rush. I met you at a corner .

Great trails.

Uh oh. I hope it wasn't a near miss or anything like that! Too bad we weren't stopped at the same time, as it is always nice to meet fellow sledders, especially if they're OC'ers.

I've never seen a pink bunny in person.

About ten minutes south of the Seguin I stopped and chatted with northbound souperdave, who was trying to keep up with his riding partner. They must have been pretty close to your group. They both have cool looking sandy coloured 2013 GSX's. You might have seen them around Sprucedale as their timing was similar to yours.

I enjoyed Saturday's run.

yup. Had lunch at spruce and they were there. The lady was asking me about trails as well.

no close call at all. I was riding first with my daughter in front. She had a pink helmet and mine is bright orange

I tried the newly opened Snowcrest 16 that runs due west from D and extends to Taboo Resort. A short trail, but a pretty diversion. It starts by running west off D for half a kilometre along unplowed Barnes Road, to Winhara Road. Then it turns right (north) for about thirty metres along Winhara, then across the road into the bush. The trail is hilly and windy after it crosses the railway tracks, then runs through part of the Taboo golf course. Hopefully it will be possilbe to get onto Lake Muskoka from this trail....right now it ends at the golf course parking lot on Muskoka Beach Road.

thanks for the info. re Taboo. Great to see them on board.

Not sure about Mary Lake Motors having fuel MM....that place looks deserted!  haha, but hey worth a stop to see, better then walking!

Dan

I dropped in to Mary Lake Motors in Port Sydney today to find out if they are actually open and selling gas.

The place looks fairly run down, but they are open Monday to Friday. They have 87 octane gas only. Today it was 129.9, which is not that bad. The nice young man running the place said their gas was good quality, but he could not guarantee it would always be ethanol-free. It says Amoco on the pumps.

The station is approximately 500 metres from the D trail. The OFSC Interactive Trail Guide shows the Mary Lake Motors location accurately, if you zoom in enough. It's near Muskoka Road 10 and Greer Road.

I dropped in to Mary Lake Motors in Port Sydney today to find out if they are actually open and selling gas.

The place looks fairly run down, but they are open Monday to Friday. They have 87 octane gas only. Today it was 129.9, which is not that bad. The nice young man running the place said their gas was good quality, but he could not guarantee it would always be ethanol-free. It says Amoco on the pumps.

The station is approximately 500 metres from the D trail. The OFSC Interactive Trail Guide shows the Mary Lake Motors location accurately, if you zoom in enough. It's near Muskoka Road 10 and Greer Road.

Thanks for stopping in there Blake...I go by there all the time and never even thought it was open!  LOL

I guess if you are low on gas at least we have an alternative to walking!   But Im guessing they dont use much gas at all(if any?) and would be rather stale.  But if you are a 4 stroke guy gas is less of a worry with quality and octane.

On D trail heading north, after you go under the hwy 11 overpass at port sydney rd exit....when you cross the next small rd(pinestead rd) on D trail(heading northward on D) You will see the small Cafe(which is open now for lunch).  You can pull into their parking lot, then onto Port sydney rd(take a left out of their lot) and go about 200ft to intersection of greer rd/port sydney rd.  Go left(north)onto greer rd down a few hundred feet and cross greer rd. into mary lake motors for the gas.   

If you happen to be heading down to mary lake and down toward Baysville I highly recommend waiting and getting fuel there, which is an esso.   But obviously if you need it this is a solution.

Thanks again Blake for stopping in there!

Dan

Archived