port severn hwy 400 gas donuts food open - on trail

slomo

Haven't been down the 400 lately but on the way to Midland Friday dropped into the newish PetroCan gas stop at Port Severn. Gas price not too exorbitant compared to other stations on the way. Tim Hortons now open, some kind of pizza there as well as something called Hero Burgers. Large parking lot upper and lower for trucks and trailers. Sled trail passes right by.

Right next to the Tourism place just up the road which has also a large parking lot and 24 hour washrooms.

post-19713-0-56434800-1388271384_thumb.g

There is also a 'no name' gas station further up past the municipal buildings which I will probably continue to patronize as they were good to my neighbour when he was having severe car trouble.

something called Hero Burgers.

I think it's a smallish chain. They had a franchise @ a busy intersection in Oshawa. I'd be by it a few times each week & never saw too many people eating there. Closed up @ least 5 years ago.

nice report slomo...good to know decent place worth pulling over for...still tryin to figure you out...tho the bieber thing...helps

Haven't been down the 400 lately but on the way to Midland Friday dropped into the newish PetroCan gas stop at Port Severn. Gas price not too exorbitant compared to other stations on the way. Tim Hortons now open, some kind of pizza there as well as something called Hero Burgers. Large parking lot upper and lower for trucks and trailers. Sled trail passes right by.

Right next to the Tourism place just up the road which has also a large parking lot and 24 hour washrooms.

attachicon.gifportseverngas.GIF

There is also a 'no name' gas station further up past the municipal buildings which I will probably continue to patronize as they were good to my neighbour when he was having severe car trouble.

Hi Slomo.... that's a short walk from where we are.... The Petro Can opened mid summer. It is owned by the same person who has the Petro Can in Coldwater. His name is Jag. Really nice guy and a supporter of the community. When we had the Just Add Water Festival he left his newly opened business and volunteered to help at the concert. It's a Pita Pit and not a pizza place by the way.

The C trail runs right past the front of the place on Lone Pine Rd. The Amco just up and across from the tourism office is a long time supporter of Baxter Snow Riders and permit seller so if you need a permit or a map you can pick them up there. It is a family owned and run business. Ron is also a strong supporter of the community. They also do a good breakfast. I usually start out the Saturday morning with a good breakfast there before we hit the trails.

Right across from the tourism office on the other side of the road is also a coin wash with an over sized bay big enough for a motor home. If the sled or the trailer has a lot of snirt you can power wash them there.

If you are looking for a little more of a meal than a burger or pita run C trail into Port Severn along Port Severn Rd. As soon as you cross the lock on the left is Dam Grill who is also another supporter of our club. Roger's menu is more along a pub style.

There is also the Inn at Christies Mill or Sunny Lea cottages right on Port Severn Rd (C trail) if you are looking for somewhere to stay. All within a short walk of each other and an even shorter sled ride.

Exit 156 off the 400 northbound.

The Amco is my choice. It is FULL SERVICE and pumps diesel. Terrific traditional Canadian 'greasy spoon' breakfasts and not some franchise. Homemade butter tarts, and wonderful pix on the wall.

• 2 months later...

GeorgianBayGuy, speaking of buttertarts... you should try Wilkies Bakery in Orillia if you're ever in the area!  They are awesome!

GeorgianBayGuy, speaking of buttertarts... you should try Wilkies Bakery in Orillia if you're ever in the area!  They are awesome!

Hmmmmmm I think our last time up I will have to stop in. My hubby loves butter tarts!!!!!!!!!!

The Amco is my choice. It is FULL SERVICE and pumps diesel. Terrific traditional Canadian 'greasy spoon' breakfasts and not some franchise. Homemade butter tarts, and wonderful pix on the wall.

We have been going here since the 60's when it was a BP station.Nice people,good food.

Amco - long time supporter of Baxter Snow Riders. Great people, full sevice restaurant.

Petro Canada - new to the area. Stepped up big time to store ice, etc during last summer's "Just Add Water" festival.

Oddly enough, there's some thought that all the signage for Petro Canada may draw in customers for both entities. Want full service (food and fuel), Amco. In a hurry, Petro Canada.

We have been going here since the 60's when it was a BP station.Nice people,good food.

I banged my knee and it was a bit stiff and sore climbing in the man door of the trailer to fill up the sleds....the guy pumping sees me having a hard time getting my leg up and climbs in the trailer to fill the sleds for me.... what more can you ask for. They are also very long time supporters of Baxter Snow Riders, sell our permits as well as classic. Family run business.

• 8 months later...

02 I have been meaning to stop at The Dam Grill what is the food like?  worth stopping?

My buddies place is up the trail near White Falls Road - man those trails around there are tight

Yes definately stop .... Food is great. Burgers are good , wings are fab....

02 I have been meaning to stop at The Dam Grill what is the food like?  worth stopping?

My buddies place is up the trail near White Falls Road - man those trails around there are tight

Dam Grill is worth the stop... we often go there for dinner on Sat during sled season. They usually have a daily special as well. During the summer we will stop in by boat as well. Patio is packed during the summer.

For a good breakfast try the Amco gas station on Lone Pine Rd. just north of Port Severn Rd. You can also get trail maps and permits there if anyone needs them.

The other option is the Petro Can which has a Timmys, Hero Burger, Pita Pit and Pizza (can't recall which chain) if you are looking for something quick to go.

Dam Grill is worth the stop... we often go there for dinner on Sat during sled season. They usually have a daily special as well. During the summer we will stop in by boat as well. Patio is packed during the summer.

For a good breakfast try the Amco gas station on Lone Pine Rd. just north of Port Severn Rd. You can also get trail maps and permits there if anyone needs them.

The other option is the Petro Can which has a Timmys, Hero Burger, Pita Pit and Pizza (can't recall which chain) if you are looking for something quick to go.

Pizzaville. We stop at the Petro Can often. Smart idea and location.

Pizzaville. We stop at the Petro Can often. Smart idea and location.

You can't beat the Amco for a good breakfast though and they are long time locals and supporters of our club.  I am overdue for one of their sausage and egg breakfast specials... If you need a trail map or permit you can get them at the Amco.

You can't beat the Amco for a good breakfast though and they are long time locals and supporters of our club.  I am overdue for one of their sausage and egg breakfast specials... If you need a trail map or permit you can get them at the Amco.

Whenever we are up that way,we stop at the Amco and have been for years when it was BP.Same great personal service.Breakfast has always been good.

Good to know, but really until you just mentioned it, I did not know of its existence.

We normally head up Saturday mornings or Friday late afternoons.  Have stopped at Pet Can over a dozen times and never noticed it.  Will make a point to on a future visit.

Good to know, but really until you just mentioned it, I did not know of its existence.

We normally head up Saturday mornings or Friday late afternoons.  Have stopped at Pet Can over a dozen times and never noticed it.  Will make a point to on a future visit.

The Amco is exit 156 north bound 400. At the stop sign at the end of the ramp go straight ahead and you are on Lone Pine Rd. The Petro Can is on the left. Beside that is the Tourism Office (Brissette House). They have 24 hour washrooms there and you can park and stage from there. A short distance up the road on the opposite side of the road across from the township offices is the Amco. Family run business that has been there forever. All of these places are right on C trail as well.

The Amco is exit 156 north bound 400. At the stop sign at the end of the ramp go straight ahead and you are on Lone Pine Rd. The Petro Can is on the left. Beside that is the Tourism Office (Brissette House). They have 24 hour washrooms there and you can park and stage from there. A short distance up the road on the opposite side of the road across from the township offices is the Amco. Family run business that has been there forever. All of these places are right on C trail as well.

I know where it is now.  Before the Petro Can, I never used that exit.

I know where it is now.  Before the Petro Can, I never used that exit.

There is also another spot you can stage from right there. As you come to the end of the ramp on the north east corner of the intersection is a parking lot for the township park. You can stay there and it is also lit in case you get back and it is dark. Between that park and the Amco there is also Severn Suds car wash. There is a regular sized bay if you want to clean salt or snert off your sled before loading back up as well as an oversized bay built to take motor homes and trailers if you want to get snirt and salt off your truck / trailer.

Archived