Whitney to Barry's Bay Friday December 6th

Blake G

Tomorrow morning (Friday) I (edit) MAY BE (edit) planning to leave Gravenhurst around 830, with my cube van and snowmobile, and head for Whitney. I just got off the phone ten minutes ago with Cheryl Reid, President at Opeongo Snowbirds, and she told me that the opened trails held up o.k. after today's brief warm spell. Apparently they had about a foot and a half of snow before today, and enough of it is left to still consider the trails green and/or yellow.

Conditions are expected to improve over the next few days, with the forecast showing cold and snow again, but I want to get on the trails tomorrow, before the weekend traffic. If anyone else plans to be out and about, you'll see me at the Mad Musher around 1030.

Better install ice scratches! Trail base will be as hard as cement and no lube unless it snows before you get there. I would wait for conditions to improve. Nothing like burning up hyfaxes and clips!

Well, ya know what, you may be right. I am already having second thoughts. The weather forecast shows a good chance of more rain coming this evening in that area. I guess I'm getting a little impatient, just like all of us, and I would hate to miss out on an early ride in case the snow disappears in the next couple of weeks and we have to start all over again from square one.

Last weekend i put 170km on in St Thomas, couldn't believe how good the snow was 

Last weekend i put 170km on in St Thomas, couldn't believe how good the snow was

Thanks for sharing this now!

I assume the snow around St. Thomas is long gone?

That's what I was afraid of with the recent green trails between Whitney and Barry's Bay. I couldn't go there yesterday or today because my cube van was in the repair shop. The trail guide for Whitney area has already turned from green to yellow since late this afternoon. But on the plus side, the Barry's Bay forecast is calling for wintry temperatures and perhaps some snow after tonight. I guess I will hold off and wait a bit, counting on the area going green again real soon.

Here in Gravenhurst I had a nice 12 kilometre ride earlier this week, on back roads and ditches, but the past 24 hours have turned that ground bare again. I guess instead of driving all the way to Whitney for iffy conditions, I'll spend tomorrow helping my riding buddy pick up his machine and get it ready to go.

I don't think early season riding (this early) is ever a good idea. We are all itchy to get some miles on but the excessive wear on machines just isn't worth it. Long season ahead and I'd hate to hear your sled is already in the shop for repairs.

Just my nickels worth !

Tomorrow morning (Friday) I (edit) MAY BE (edit) planning to leave Gravenhurst around 830, with my cube van and snowmobile, and head for Whitney. I just got off the phone ten minutes ago with Cheryl Reid, President at Opeongo Snowbirds, and she told me that the opened trails held up o.k. after today's brief warm spell. Apparently they had about a foot and a half of snow before today, and enough of it is left to still consider the trails green and/or yellow.

Conditions are expected to improve over the next few days, with the forecast showing cold and snow again, but I want to get on the trails tomorrow, before the weekend traffic. If anyone else plans to be out and about, you'll see me at the Mad Musher around 1030.

Enjoy the first trip.

post-19765-0-09714100-1386299902_thumb.j

:cheers:

I don't think early season riding (this early) is ever a good idea. We are all itchy to get some miles on but the excessive wear on machines just isn't worth it. Long season ahead and I'd hate to hear your sled is already in the shop for repairs.

Just my nickels worth !

Well, I think you are right in general, although I'm pretty sure I haven't hurt my sleds during the 20 kms I've put on locally in the past couple of weeks. I think selective and careful riding can be ok. But I guess driving a couple of hours with the intention of doing a whole day's worth of early season riding might be a bad idea, unless one is certain about the trail conditions. From the tales we've heard of St. Thomas more than a week ago, and the photos we've seen of trails east of Algonquin Park this week, I think there has already been good sledding here and there. Just not very widespread. It will come.

Yukon, I'm curious about the location and time frame of your trail photo?

Yukon, I'm curious about the location and time frame of your trail photo?

I'm friends with Cheryl , she posted earlier today around 4pm....  It's an Opeongo club trail.. 

I love the smell of burning hifax in the morning.................

......it smells like.....victory. Or is it money?

I'm friends with Cheryl , she posted earlier today around 4pm....  It's an Opeongo club trail.. 

By golly it looks pretty good, especially if the photo was taken this afternoon.

Patience is a virtue......

But ya ..itchy thumb ..lol

Cheers ..

It was Warm and Windy up here yesterday, I talked to two guys from Barrie that come up that trail from barrys bay and they said it was pretty bad, that was around noon. it didnt start to cool down until about 5pm.

Hi there pumpjockey. Thank you so much for the update on the effects of Thursday's heat wave. I'm glad I decided not to chance the four hour round trip to Whitney. I remember I went there on March 29 this year, and found the trails were very sketchy and worse than expected. Having said that, I was very impressed and decided I would be making a return trip thiis winter, because I loved the stretch of trail along the Madawaska River between Whitney and Madawaska. Let's hope you don't lose the base while waiting for additional snow to accumulate.

Hi there pumpjockey. Thank you so much for the update on the effects of Thursday's heat wave. I'm glad I decided not to chance the four hour round trip to Whitney. I remember I went there

on March 29 this year, and found the trails were

very sketchy and worse than expected. Having

said that, I was very impressed and decided I

would be making a return trip thiis winter,

because I loved the stretch of trail along the

Madawaska River between Whitney and

Madawaska. Let's hope you don't lose the base

while waiting for additional snow to accumulate.

Next week conditions should be better. They are suppose to get snow and colder weather. Will be better once more trails open to spread out the traffic too. I am hoping to ride up there after Xmas.

Good call Blake ! Make the first ride enjoyable

Good call Blake ! Make the first ride enjoyable

Unless you want a new sled! Lol! I seen people heading out on a several day saddle bag trip in the rain, wearing garbage bags over thier suits! Talk about die hards!

Well, I drove over to Whitney Friday. Just had to try out the new viper. Unloaded at the Mad Musher. We did 40 miles we had to turn back as it was pretty skinny in the open areas. Even though it was not so good it was nice to try out the new iron. Past 3 other sleds. In the parking lot was a truck and trailer from New York. I hope they didn't drive all that way for that. I think we are going to have a great old fashion winter. It's been a while here's hoping.

Well, I drove over to Whitney Friday. Just had to try out the new viper. Unloaded at the Mad Musher. We did 40 miles we had to turn back as it was pretty skinny in the open areas. Even though it was not so good it was nice to try out the new iron. Past 3 other sleds. In the parking lot was a truck and trailer from New York. I hope they didn't drive all that way for that. I think we are going to have a great old fashion winter. It's been a while here's hoping.

I know you only did 40 miles but tell us about your new iron??

Swamp Hog, that sounds like a replica of the trip I made there on March 29. Made it from Whitney to Madawaska, but turned back at the long bridge crossing the river. I believe it was 40 miles round trip. Better than nothing!

Archived