Where is best, for an early season trip?

whiskywizard

I've got an opportunity to take my adult son for a multi-day sled trip, but it has to be before Christmas.

How early can you realistically count on decent conditions in northern Ontario? Is there a region that tends to get more snow earlier on?

sometimes cochrane is open with ''limited'' trails before x-mas...

Ontario is really hit and miss and I can see later openings, since there is less man power. Quebec is pretty much a guarantee in the laurentian area. They start grooming in third week of November most years and have beautiful trails by Xmas. This area was fully open last year by early December (With good trail conditions) I am planning to go there myself after Xmas. Sometimes musoka area has good conditions too in the Kearny area, since they

don't have as many water crossings.

Ontario and Quebec are supposed to have colder weather this year so you may be in luck.  Kirkland Lake area (1.5 hrs south of Cochrane) has opened limited just before Christmas the last two years if memory serves me right.

I'd love to say Hearst, but since we always get a coupla melts before the frost sets in ....  I'd vote Cochrane.  Little higher ground than us, meaning less water crossings and not as damp.  Swamps take a while to freeze up, and we gots plenty of those !

I've read some wonderful reports on here about Christmas/New Year's trips out of Cochrane.

Muskoka Man did it for two years, as I recall.

Higher ground explains a lot. Thx

only problem is -30 temps....yama...ah it's too early to '' start '' that game

only problem is -30 temps....yama...ah it's too early to '' start '' that game

At least we keep the front firmly planted  ;-)

Lol.

Lol.

Lol.

at polaris we call that ''snowplowing''.....knew one of you yammie guys would bite...all part of the fun

Lookin' forward to some riding with you guys again this year. You were so far ahead (or relegated to the back!) that I don't know what that Polaris can handle. Lots, I suspect. All good fun, as you said.

Going to the sled show on Friday. Let's meet for a pint after if that's the day you're attending.

Whiskey Wizard - enjoy the trip north with your son! I've done a few with the lads and they're a blast. Can't imagine there'd be hockey tournaments, etc competing for hotel rooms, but you never know. Call ahead.

Lookin' forward to some riding with you guys again this year. You were so far ahead (or relegated to the back!) that I don't know what that Polaris can handle. Lots, I suspect. All good fun, as you said.

Going to the sled show on Friday. Let's meet for a pint after if that's the day you're attending.

sounds good...need to get a few things too....let me know a time...

Thanks for the inside info. It sounds like I need to head NE for snow before Christmas. QC it is then. Now, I need to zero in on a specific area.

this is brought up EVERY YEAR.... anything before the holidays is a crap shoot, dont count on ANYTHING being open. be flexible, make last minute plans, watch the weather and pull the trigger of conditions exist. sometimes early snows fall, sometimes we get melts, sometimes everything gets opened early, sometimes, the holidays, break downs, parts shortages, shipping delays at holidays and volunteers family commitments prevent things from opening up when we want them to.

be pacient, flexible, or go west to BC... they WILL have rideable snow in the mountains. Ski

I have been planning trips through northern Ontario for a number of years.  Every time it proves to be different. We have had adjust our plans numerous times due to changing conditions.  I agree with Ski; make last minute plans, hotels will not be an issue, there has always been plenty of places to stay - and the good news, when you're riding northern Ontario you can make it to the next town in little time, not because they're close together.  Cochrane is a good bet but you may be able to start further south.

Good Luck,

Archived