shnitzel review - tornado's resort, port loring food news

slomo

This post is a continuation of the one on Northland Motel and Roxie's Diner in which I was cordially invited to sample the Vienna Schnitzel by Lionel at Tornados which is about 10 km from Port Loring and on the sled trail in the winter:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9536-port-loring-northland-motel-roxies-diner/

Up for a few days of fishing for the end of the summer, made reservations (recommended) for the schnitzel at the resort restaurant. The schnitzel is pan fried breaded veal and having had schnitzel made from pork for the last few schitzel outings, it was great to get back to the veal.

post-19713-0-06895500-1378140871_thumb.j

Accompanied by your favourite beverage....

post-19713-0-45638100-1378140872_thumb.j

A pause during a great meal to take in the scenery and the river view beyond....

post-19713-0-09460400-1378140874_thumb.j

And then on to dessert - excellent. Sorry no picture of actual dessert.

post-19713-0-70724800-1378140875_thumb.j

Tornado's was open during the winter last year for the first time in a few years and plan to be open again this year. Accomodations include a winterized cabin for rental as well as a unique building called the Settler's Lodge - incorporating several bedrooms, each with its own washroom,  a large farmhouse- like kitchen and dining room, as well as a couple of large lounge areas, it would be a great place for a group to stay while in the area for a few days of circle tours. Link here:

http://www.tornadosresorts.com/wEnglish/lodges/settlers_lodge.asp?navid=3

In other Port Loring food news, Roxie's in town

post-19713-0-41029800-1378140869_thumb.j

now has a televised menu - you can see the dishes before your order them!

post-19713-0-41471100-1378140877_thumb.j

Sometimes a curse for servers as well as a blessing, according to Heidi - creator of the Heidi Burger

post-19713-0-79552400-1378140867_thumb.j

customers make an order from the menu, only to try to change their order later (oh oh - is it too late to change our order??) to something else that looks good on the televised menu. So take your time before you put in your order. The Heidi Burger is the second one on the rotating video menu.

Looking forward to a great sled season in Port Loring.

Port Loring seems to have so many great places to dine.

Thanks for the info.

How's the diet? B)

great review. thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Port Loring seems to have so many great places to dine.

Thanks for the info.

there's not really that many. three that I can think of. but they're all great!

My wife says that when we tour, she's lucky to get a bag of Dorito's and a pepsi at a gas station.

Port Loring would be her kind of place.

My wife says that when we tour, she's lucky to get a bag of Dorito's and a pepsi at a gas station.

Port Loring would be her kind of place.

When my wife comes along we end up in a fairly decent to very decent restaurant for dinner each night. Last Family Day weekend she had us eating at Log Cabin Inn near Parry Sound. The year before we were at Deerhurst. Another of her favourites was Three Guys and a Stove. I could be happy with a burger at a greasy spoon. Not sure where we will end up this year but I know she will dine on more than Pepsi and Doritos.

.. but I know she will dine on more than Pepsi and Doritos.

Ok, maybe if it's Valentine's Day .... :-P

Dock Lunch. Penetang.

Ok, maybe if it's Valentine's Day .... :-P

Dock Lunch. Penetang.

If we go to Penetang we usually end up at Maple Valley instead of Dock Lunch... main reason. The washrooms at Dock Lunch are outdoors off of the patio.

Maple Valley club is a great idea. Been a while since we went up that way. 

Maple Valley club is a great idea. Been a while since we went up that way. 

If you ride a bit more local this winter we can maybe get a group to head out across the bay

The washrooms at Dock Lunch are outdoors off of the patio.

A disturbing mental picture........ particularly if you're trying to eat and other diners have their asses hanging over the railing with their pants down.....

• 2 months later...

Hi Slomo

Thanks for the nice review!

Will you be back at Tornado's Resort for a winter Schnitzel?

Regards

Lionel

If following the snow leads us that way this season - keeping an eye on conditions for the Argyle Club poker run - we will certainly make schnitzel plans! Nice meeting you this summer!

Whoa !!   Slomo and Lionel on line here !   Quiet times together over a Schnitzel, relaxing by the fireplace, long walks in the snow........ This is better than Adult Friend Finder !!!!   

Whoa !!   Slomo and Lionel on line here !   Quiet times together over a Schnitzel, relaxing by the fireplace, long walks in the snow........ This is better than Adult Friend Finder !!!!   

He has his own float plane. Buzz off! I met him first!

• 4 weeks later...

Stayed at Tornado's Resort last winter, only ones there, and stayed in the huge cabin (tons of room).  Owner and wife super friendly (swiss I believe), good food, hot tub on the deck, definitely recommend.

Hi Chandos_rob, welcome to the forum.

Archived