Port Loring - Northland Motel / Roxie's Diner

slomo

post-19713-0-61072600-1328484198_thumb.j

It's comforting after a dark drive to come upon a pleasant warmly lit diner.....
post-19713-0-25412600-1328484211_thumb.j

and to realize it is right next door to your motel.
post-19713-0-51207700-1328484260_thumb.j

The Northland Motel is located almost right on trail C105D - there is a short easy access trail - at the western end of Port Loring on highway 522.

http://www.northlandmotel.ca/

The motel has no minimum night stay, will allow you to cancel if snow conditions are poor, and will take a credit card number, but not a deposit, to reserve your room. They are also very efficient at responding to emails, if that is your favoured mode of contact.

We stayed in an efficiency unit - a large bedroom -dining - kitchen area with plenty of space for all the gear you bring while sledding.

post-19713-0-23207300-1328484277_thumb.j
post-19713-0-92222100-1328484287_thumb.j

Motel was clean, well heated, all kinds of hot water, and being some distance from the highway, was fairly quiet. (except for sleds pulling up, but hey....) Satellite TV is in the room. Poor cell phone service exists in this area. Motel now has internet access with free wifi.

Parking for trucks and trailers is a bit cramped - probably worse when we were there due to icy conditions, but there is a ring road which allows easy exit from the parking lot. If you are looking for good accomodation without a lot of frills, all the basics are available at the Northland. Ask for a 'relaxed check out time' if you want to get a sled run in before you leave.

post-19713-0-81576000-1328484307_thumb.j

Jake's Restaurant in downtown Port Loring has a well deserved reputation for food, but Roxie's Diner, next to the motel, is a fine eatery as well. Roxie's features 'all day breakfasts' , home made bread and desserts, and service is good and quick. Breakfasts we ordered were prepared to perfection.

After a day on the trails, the cheeseburger at Roxie's served with fresh cut fries was exceptional. Meat paddy was home made - and of the ideal thickness - between 5/8 and 3/4 inches. Cheese was melted evenly over the meat. The only quibble we had was the condiment spread - parts of the burger were ignored, but this was easily fixed with a fork. The bun was fresh and flavourful - a good accent to the total burger.

There is a full menu selection at Roxie's - breaded pork cutlet was the special that day - and the eatery is licensed by LLBO. Check hours of operation on their website.

Haven't had a burger at Jakes - the club sandwich was recommended there - but having had occasion to sample the fare at Ernie's in Missinabie, we would say the cheese burger at Roxie's compares very favourably.

Awesome report! I can't wait to go back up there! I started missing Wrights point resort the moment we left.

Well documented ! Thanks for the report on Roxie's Slomo. I've been looking forward to returning to Port Loring this winter - particularly with thoughts of Jakes Place in my mind. Now, with such a glowing report on Roxies's I'll have to reconsider my plans. Either stay away because I can't imagine visiting Port Loring without going to Jakes or staying in town for a night or two so I can do both. Hmmmmmmm......

Great report! Reads like a tourist brochure!

A wonderful report.

Two new lodging destinations to consider in future travels.

• 1 year later...

Tornado's Resorts on Trail AR501 is also open in the Port Loring area. There are rooms available with hottub and sauna and the fine dining restaurant is open on reservation.

Tornados Restaurant

Carnival Schnitzel-Night

February 9, 2013

Lionel, why are you only posting this now on February 13?? :o:-) (big schnitzel fan here)

EDIT: Happy schnitzel ending - August 2013 - review link here:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11565-shnitzel-review-tornados-resort-port-loring-food-news/

Port Loring area is a great place to ride. This is a great area from which to start a "Bridges" tour.

Agreed, Roxies/Northland is a great pit-stop. We have enjoyed every meal/stay there. Best part is the open untill 10pm part on weekdays. Works out well if we are on a RAN tour and getting in a bit late.

Love the SSR trails to the NE.

Tornados Restaurant

Carnival Schnitzel-Night

February 9, 2013

Lionel, why are you only posting this now on February 13?? :o:-) (big schnitzel fan here)

Sorry for being too late. Our chef will be happy to serve you a Schnitzel anytime on reservation!

By the way, the trails up here are FANTASTIC. The Argyle Riders did a great job! :right_on:

Our chef will be happy to serve you a Schnitzel anytime on reservation!

Lionel, you haven't met Slomo.

Man vs. Food.

x2

:icon_tinykitball::D

Archived