wawa, dubreuilville, points north and east are doing well still

skidooboy

video from monday april 1st. notice the powder swirling around.... lots of snow in the bush. they will be riding for awhile with stable day temps, and cold night temps. both communites are still grooming as well. i am sure hornepayne, and hearst and points east to timmins and the canyon are doing well too.

enojy the vid. we are going back up thursday morning, for the last weekend of walleye (pickerel) season. Ski

Nice vid ! Lucky you to get some fresh ungroomed powder !

In Hearst we don't have that much snow, but the trails are still in great shape. Still tons of base, except a few spots near some trees at the edge of the trail. Haven't seen a bad or questionable spot of trail yet.

Saw a crew of sleds at the Companion, and a couple more at the Queens Motel. Folks still taking advantage of the extended winter we have, we sure are too. Heading to the summer campground this afternoon to clear some snow and have some BBQ and make a fire.

Have a nice weekend y'all !

Skidooboy nice video enjoyed watching it really missed riding this year in Ontario , will be back next year have a great summer

I groomed last night and the base was rock hard, very hard to cut the moguls, there is so much snow on the sides that a few times I droped off the trail base and had to flip the differential lock on to get back on the trail. Heading out for a seld ride and fishing for some big Northern Pike.

i know where you're going ;)

dont catch them all, lynne wants to try again. see you thursday late pm early evening.

Ski

NICE vid Skidooboy!!!!

see more snow in the forecast for there this week too!!!

http://coolwx.com/ptype/

I groomed last night and the base was rock hard, very hard to cut the moguls, there is so much snow on the sides that a few times I droped off the trail base and had to flip the differential lock on to get back on the trail. Heading out for a seld ride and fishing for some big Northern Pike.

They did not bite much but still got a decent one Ski, we went to the other end at the creek.

can you still ride out there or do the trailer queens need to be trailered out??? thanks for the update. i have got to get Lynne on a big pike, or i'll never hear the end of it. LOL! :D Ski

more snow forcasted starting tonight or tomorrow. between now and tuesday they could get another foot of snow. very wierd spring but.... I'LL TAKE IT! see you guys tomorrow afternoon. Ski

More snow? WOW

Have a great weekend.

More snow? WOW

Have a great weekend.

I know you were in Cochrane for late season ride and sure you had a fabulous time. But for me... the sleds are in bed for the summer. I had a great season without any complaints. But I am now ready for boating and fishing season... enough with the snow already. The boat comes out of storage in 3 weeks.

expecting several inches of snow today through tuesday, then late next week another BIG SNOW dump is forcasted. these guys will be riding into may if this keeps up. i highly doubt they will be fishing in boats for the walleye/pike opener mid may. too much snow on the ice to let the ice melt.

luc has the dubreuilville trails and the wawa club have their respective communities trails in tip top shape with LOTS OF SNOW LEFT.

the owl's nest group left this am, they said they had a great week of riding even went to hornepayne and back, said the trail was the best they have ever saw.

heading out to look for antlers before the snow comes. try to update later. Ski

expecting several inches of snow today through tuesday, then late next week another BIG SNOW dump is forcasted. these guys will be riding into may if this keeps up. i highly doubt they will be fishing in boats for the walleye/pike opener mid may. too much snow on the ice to let the ice melt.

luc has the dubreuilville trails and the wawa club have their respective communities trails in tip top shape with LOTS OF SNOW LEFT.

the owl's nest group left this am, they said they had a great week of riding even went to hornepayne and back, said the trail was the best they have ever saw.

heading out to look for antlers before the snow comes. try to update later. Ski

Hey Eric, long time no see. Watched a recent video you posted. What's the scoop on riding Wawa, Dubre, etc. I don't have any permits as I didn't plan to get up there this year. Sounds like conditions are great, just wondered about legal stuff. I am guessing that you can't even buy a permit at this point. Was planning on being near Marquette Mon - Tues, but they have rain in the forecast.

wawa's trails were posted as closed (from what i heard) but, the conditions are still great. dubreuilville's are open, you should be able to get a 3 or 7 day permit by calling luc at the quickie mart or see Big Reg (Rejean) at a&s auto repair (in the old skidoo dealership building), or contact the community info center. you can run from wawa to hornepayne, pretty easily. we had snow all day yesterday, still flurries today. i am guessing about 3-6 inches depending on location, it is hard to tell with the blowing and drifting.

had a bad day yesterday.... on the last trip, our truck lost the number 4 cyl lifters (common problem on the engine managment system equiped 5.3 litre gm 1500 truck motor). well they "fixed" it, at home with new cam and lifters, before we came up. the truck drove great on way up, no issues no noises good mileage/power. started it up yesterday am, to go get sleds from Luc's (he was nice enough to plow a spot for us to accomodate our trailer for a few weeks THANK YOU KIND SIR!) no issues on start up. came back to the apartment, shut the truck off to pack it up for the day, until we could get into our room for the rest of the weekend....

the truck was shut off for about 20-30 minutes.... went to restart, no oil pressure, motor rattling, guage pegged at ZERO, info center says no oil pressure shut off truck. :( called gm roadside assistance, set up tow to mission motors in wawa. big reg set me up with Jeff at Mission, to get the truck in asap. (THANK YOU MY FRIEND!!! I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON). Mission was here, after being dispatched by roadside assistance in about 90 minutes. they loaded her up, and she is at the dealership awaiting diagnosis. Jeff gave me a follow up call, to let me know they had the truck, and service history, and they would let me know monday, what is wrong and the approximate time it will take to repair.

so.... looks like our trip will be extended a few days, we both called work to let them know our problem. not sure if we can get a rental or loaner in canada and bring it home until we can get back up.

only real bad thing is....walleye fishing ends sunday :( so, we wont get to fish as much as we would like but, we will get to ride a little more, and look for antlers. sundays forcast is for 40 and 2-3 more inches of snow, and monday is for 45 and snow/rain mix. tuesday and weds look great 43 and 39, thurdsday they are calling for more snow (approx 4") weekend outlook for next week looks good too. they will be riding here FOR A LONG TIME, UNTIL THEY GET A SIGNIFICANT LONG TERM WARM UP OR RAIN.

caught a few speckled trout, and a few smaller walleye last night. helped a couple guys make it back in, in the storm last night. one kept getting stuck on icy hills, hauling a heavy sleigh out of the bush. they other fouled a plug shortly after making it on to the trail. we looked out for each other all the way back into town. nice that even complete strangers will look out for one another, in what could have been a very bad situation. dark, snowing and blowing, sled troubles, 20 miles from civilization.

come up if you can. we might get to ride in May this year.... Ski

Bad news for you Skidooboy. Hope there's a happy ending.

Good news for us today. Best ride I've had in almost 20 years. The wife & I with both sleds, 150 km day trip, from Hearst, around North of the lakes via the L163, then onto the L159, down to Mattice, then back home up the A.

150 km's, and we still had a quarter tank left in each sled. Almost amazing that a Cheyenne would do that much mileage on a tank, let alone a '99 670 !

Glad you guys had an awesome day Denis.

We had another great ride yesterday with Nicole and Alain from Chez Gaston. TRAILS ARE MINT! with Luc's groom late last week, and the fresh snow from friday and a little more yesterday.... it was the best april riding we have ever had!!!

i have some video but, no equipment to edit it up for you just yet.

we saw 6 bald eagles, both adult and juvenile bird. 4 were flying circles together in one group. one flew down out of it's perch, right over lynne's head, at a very low level. and the otters have had enough of winter too... they were playing in open holes on the lake we were fishing. two seperate otters, hole hopped all over the place, near us. then they both found the same hole, and comedy ensued. it was like watching animal planet, or discovery channel.

late in the evening, the sun came out for a bit, then the moon but, the clouds came back right at dark and spoiled any chance we had to see the northern lights, that are forcasted from the recent solar flares.

THIS IS WHY WE COME TO THIS AREA OF TRUE NORTHERN ONTARIO.... Many people do not understand the need to drive or visit other places than what is close and familiar to them. this area gives you a little of everything, and ALOT OF HOSPITALITY.

we ended the night with a walleye feeding frenzy that had 10 tip up flags, 6 fish caught for lynne and I, in all of about 5-10 minutes (we opted only to keep one fish), it was absolutely CRAZY fast action. Nicole and Alain caught three more keeper walleye, and a bonus HUGE White sucker (that went back into the water as well).

I cannot put into words how truely AWESOME this area of the north is. the views, the wildlife, the people, and the experiences that you will never forget. and notice i didnt even mention the superfantastic trails they have. there are lots to do and see.

stop saying next year, next time... yada, yada, yada, GET UP HERE AND GET A TRUE WILDERNESS EXPERIENCE FOR YOURSELF, YOUR FRIENDS AND YOUR FAMILY. Who knows, you may make this your new favorite goto spot.

with all that said, i truely think unless they get a super fast, super warm up, or ALOT of rain (which is NOT predicted or forcasted right now).... there will be trails to ride next weekend for sure. the lake and river ice will be here A LONG TIME.

I am going to go out on a limb and say.... there may even be riding like "normal spring" conditions on may 1st. i am thinking we may just leave the truck, get a rental/loaner from GM... and come back to ride one more time, and say we rode in May, in the late started winter of 2013. whodathunk????

Ski

I cannot put into words how truely AWESOME this area of the north is. the views, the wildlife, the people, and the experiences that you will never forget. and notice i didnt even mention the superfantastic trails they have. there are lots to do and see.

... and I've been thinking that very same thought for all my life .... Welcome to Heaven !

Another great weekend of riding,fishing around Wawa. While the trails are closed it is not for lack of snow, most areas have been hit with major snowfalls in the last few weeks. The Wawa Sno Riders debaited grooming everything again after the first dump of snow but at $1500 or so per storm the majority said enough is enough. This was a first for our club but in these tough times we have to focus on the hard facts of grooming only when needed. I personally rode most of our trails before they closed and almost all sled tracks went to camps or fishing holes. Over the years talking to these non permit holders they have repeatedly told me they "couldnt care less" if the trails are groomed. The snowmobile club is thinking ahead to next year and having our equipment in top shape to make some awesome trails for permit holders. Those who still looking for some great late season riding it doesn't get any better.The snow depth has gone up every week and the ice is 4' thick still ! Off trail adventures are prime as the snow has settled and you can go almost anywhere!

THANK YOU FOR THE OFFER ReJean. :icon_goodpost::rockon::cheers::icon_steer:

had an AWESOME DAY, yesterday. great weather, great fishing, superfantastic trails, and good times with friends on the lakes and trails. as sled2nr said, this area is blessed with late season snows and the trails are in mid season or better, prime conditions. i have some go pro video from yesterday, i need to look at and edit. as well as some fish, and scenery photos too. trying to get the truck deal fixed, before i spend too much time on that.

as i type this monday am sitting in the bachelorette apartment, it is snowing again. we recieved about 2-3 more inches over night. it is going to turn over to ice pelletts and rain but, not much rain is to fall, from what is forcasted. tuesday and weds the weather is supposed to be AWESOME again. THEN THURSDAY ANOTHER STORM COMES IN, with 4 inches of snow forcasted. and friday unless it is a typo.... another 8-12 inches of snow is comming. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0195

i cant put into words the conditions right now at this time of the year. usually we are dodging water holes, mud, road crossings, washouts ect... the trails are MINT!!!! and the snow is AWESOME! i cant stress that enough. more updates later.....Ski

Archived