Alliston Snowmobile Club May Fold

02Sled

Just saw on CTV2 news an appeal for volunteers for the Alliston snowmobile club. If they don't get a significant number of new volunteers they will not be there next season and 180 km of trails will be lost. In some ways a sign of the times. Everyone wants to reap the benefits. 20% of the people do 80% of the work.

If you are a sledder and live or ride in the Alliston area how about volunteering for the club?

thats sad news...not only happening to sled clubs but atv clubs too...our local club has over 100 plus members with roughly the same 10 or 12 people doing all the work..sad part is I am sure if trails are not open in that area then the few that do all the work get bitched at.....hope some people wake up in that area and pitch in...Diceman

Sad to hear.

Not saying this is the case in Alliston at all but I've heard this from a few people: Some clubs seem to dicourage new members/ volunteers because they may interfere with the way the existing group of friends run the club. This is great while the current members stick with it but when they start to burn-out and leave the club, the want-to-be volunteers have given-up trying.

Sad to hear.

Not saying this is the case in Alliston at all but I've heard this from a few people: Some clubs seem to dicourage new members/ volunteers

because they may interfere with the way the

existing group of friends run the club. This is

great while the current members stick with it but

when they start to burn-out and leave the club,

the want-to-be volunteers have given-up trying.

This is so true. I went to two snowmobile club meetings all winter and never got a phone call to come out and help. Running a club house for half a day on a weekend isn't my cup of tea.

This is so true. I went to two snowmobile club meetings all winter and never got a phone call to come out and help. Running a club house for half a day on a weekend isn't my cup of tea.

Soooo, get your Trail Patrol training and spend a few hours a week being an Ambassador of the sport. You still get to ride and when you stop for a break check for some permits, is that not your "cup of tea" either? If so, please explain why.

You seem to have plenty of opinions here but won't come to the plate.

It won't kill ya.

:poke2:

A lot of clubs have issues tracking volunteers and then organizing them. Many only want to brush or pack or whatever. Yet, there is still loads of work to do that many just don't want to do. Go to more than a meeting or two, get your face known and don't be a dou@hbag when you speak up! I can't see how, if you present yourself properly that a club can run down help. It is true that some clubs have the dregs of the old boy society left dwindling away...but those are now few and far between. My club was th at way once and the old boys have now realized they need help. You might have to knock on a door or two but once you establish yourself, I'm sure the club will welcome your help.

For 4 years I made it known I wanted to help (at my convenience) the local club. I never hear from them until last summer when I was called twice & cajoled/pleaded with to get on the executive. I said no as I had had enough of meetings during the 6 years I was an executive.

A friend is on the executive now and he approached me w/ a couple of jobs that I was able to do as the time arose that the average person wouldn't have the equipment or time to make.

hope alliston gets the help they need...those trails won't disappear because other local clubs would split up the territory...it's a important area...as far a helping out with a club,barrie welcomes all comers & lets you get involved as you want...have never left a work party without a thx-u everytime...same goes for orillia club...people like reved & bark-biter (oc members)with barrie give it their all & won't give up,but love it when new members join.be nice if local clubs could give them a day each to catch up some of the bull work...plus add students from local school...bit of a pipe dream....end of rambling

TY Glenn for the kind words, it means alot to hear them.

PS, it is Sno Voy not Barrie ;)

We miss seeing you at the meetings by the way.

Some clubs seem to dicourage new members/ volunteers because they may interfere with the way the existing group of friends run the club.

This is great while the current members stick with it but when they start to burn-out and leave the club, the want-to-be volunteers have given-up trying.

Yup, I agree with this and it seems to be the trend up here. I haven't inquired yet about volunteering, and don't know who exactly is on the exec, but I can imagine how it is, knowing the people we have up here.

I've been wanting to volunteer with our local club since I've started trail riding again this year, signage is terrible, and grooming is neglected on some trails. A few things about our area first .....

1. Hearst is a money town, founded from people who made tons of money logging in its early history. Money means rich people - ie - Snobs. Lots of people around here tend to look down their noses at you. They're not all open and friendly and ready to receive help as you might think.

2. About 10-12 years ago the club President managed to make a brand new ATV "Disappear". It was found that the unit had been "reallocated" for his own personal use, and thus not available for club use. He has since been charged and convicted for such theft. He is now part owner of a local car dealership, along with a partner with a criminal record himself. Not a good track record, and it's not inviting for people wanting to help thieves.

3. I sent an e-mail to the Club President thru a link I found online, last updated in 2007, on a town's tourism-related website. Mail undeliverable. Club president has since changed. The president at that time was the owner's son and partner in a local sled/atv/sxs dealership, a place where the snobs get service while everyone else ends up waiting 2 weeks for a price on a Side-by-side, and end up buying elsewhere, often out of town. Not a very good attitude for running a business, I couldn't even imagine being his club slave-volunteer.

I'm leery of people like this. I won't be looked at as a lesser person because I'm not from money, I've refused to work with and for such people, and I've quit jobs because of this snob thing. If I'm to apply to help out with the club, for whatever purposes they need my help doing, I want it to be with good honest down-to-earth people. Because if I'm to be turned down once, there'll not be a second chance. I have better things to do with my time than beat down doors begging to volunteer, like raising my 2 kids, taking them on snowmobile rides, hunting in the fall instead of trail maintenance, etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, I want to volunteer, but I won't have anyone piss in my face when I do, be sure of that. If that's how it turns out, then the rich snob people can brush their own trails and whatever else without our help.

And how many calls did you make to the club offering your services? Just because you show up for a meeting doesn't mean people know you want to help. Did you offer your services? A lot of clubs have their trail system divvied up between the members with each member being responsible for a section of trail and the other members take a "hands off" approach to that piece of trail unless a call for help goes out. Unless these guys know you want to help you aren't likely to get a call. It seems you are particular about what you want to do so you need to make your desires known. Most sections of trail get installed in a couple days of labor so the window of opportunity to help build trails is short. Special projects i.e. brushing, bridge/culvert maintenance happen on an "as needed" basis and a cal for help usually goes out via the club's e-mail list. It is too much work for somebody to chase people by phone and most club executives are getting burnt out too. If you want to help with a club you can't sit back and wait for a special invitation.

I ve seen it as well the old boy's club, lack of volunteers mainly due to bunch of people unwilling to listen to fresh ideas and the olds ways are best, oh well pays the permit and ride

Unfortunately, it is usually the jobs requiring the most volunteers that are the hardest to get people to volunteer for. Our club gets "too many" stake trail offers as what I have also heard from the Alliston Club.

Often our stake trail team doesn't even get out because one or two volunteers get it done first opportunity they can while the weather permits. This is wonderful because it then opens the door for other volunteer needs such as our clubhouse. Without our clubhouse our club would not exist and without volunteers to run our clubhouse then the clubhouse will not exist.

St Clements desperately needs clubhouse volunteers.

Alliston needs people to run the Executive positions.

I have volunteered to run all their Training classes and even obtained approval from OFSC. Blackstar also offered to volunteer for them if needed, however they wanted us to come to their club meetings which were the same night as our own club meetings so of course we could not accommodate them with attendance to the their meetings.

As far as the "ole boys" (I call it generation gap) syndrome lol yes it can be challenging to work with. I'm sure our club did a few spins when I came bouncing in with all my "new and wonderful ideas". It takes time to gain ole boys trust and it takes time for newbies to realize the ole boys have "seen it, done it" and just may know what they are talking about. B)

In the end it's; team work, patience, more patience, and dedication, along with a little forgiveness and rolling with the odd punch that might otherwise offend. If you can commit to just a few hours each year doing something the club "needs", you just may be surprised at how valuable and appreciated you feel being a part of this Ontario Wide organization. :hugs:

If you want to volunteer; "ask" and specifically offer to show up on a specific date or event. Remember that volunteer organizer is a volunteer also with a full time job, family and other commitments. He/she may not remember you want to help out.

If you want volunteers; ask people specifically in person or by phone to help you so they feel "invited and wanted". Somehow the technology of emails and texts lose the personal touch a volunteer may need.

Good luck Alliston Club fluffy.gif

Well said Snogirlfx, looks like you've been at this a while.

I had a conversation with my boss, who was also our Club President for a while. He reassured me a bit about how getting started will work, that there will be a training session or 2 to get started with if Signage and brushing and such is of interest. I believe that I'll go forward and approach the President or other exec member(s), and make it known that I can be an asset to the club.

Thanks for starting this thread, it's helped me to understand better the club's point of view. And if there's no need for my help then hey, I can ride all season and at least advise the club of obvious spots needing attention.

Maybe they know you!

Maybe they know you!

A See 96 acres in your area selling for 599k? Vert tempting to move. I could buy four properties to my one here.

A See 96 acres in your area selling for 599k? Vert tempting to move. I could buy four properties to my one here.

You'd never make your mind up to buy it anyway!

i have tryed to help 2 differant clubs. said i would fix there equipment, run the equipment and help with what ever they needed. anddddddddd nothihng , no phone calls, no email. nothing.

clubs are the way they are today becouse off them self, how they run it.

i dont feel bad in anyway for a club that is closeing down, its there own falt.

i have tryed to help 2 differant clubs. said i would fix there equipment, run the equipment and help with what ever they needed. anddddddddd nothihng , no phone calls, no email. nothing.

You can't paint all clubs with the same brush. There are some I am sure that may not manage contacting potential volunteers well but they are not likely the ones in trouble. There are others like Alliston that are in trouble and I would put money on it that if you called up the Alliston club they may even come and pick you up to get you to the meeting if they needed to. Clubs are also changing. At one time many years ago I made repeated attempts to volunteer for my club and never heard back but they did keep my information. A long time after they called me to ask if I could clear tables at a dinner dance since all their members wanted to party rather than work it. Since then the complexion of our club has changed. If you say you want to volunteer in any way shape or form you are welcomed with open arms.

you are right , i should not put all clubs togeather , there are some good ones out there.

The clubs that choose to ignore offers of assistance and don't respond to potential volunteers are in trouble, they just don't know it...........yet. They may be doing fine today but who will be there to pick up the pieces when the "old boys" resign or just stop contributing?

lots of clubs have this kind of problem. have tried to volunteer at other organizations that were pleading for help, gonna fold, etc. what happens is that when new people offer to do this or that they get told that Bill looks after that, oh no rick looks after that etc. And then you get told we will call you, dont worry we will find something for you to do, thanks for coming out. You dont hear back until next year when the same people are saying they are giving up, quitting, no one wants to help. I think it would help if organizations really wanted help or new members they take a serious look at how they treat people who show up or phone. Have a plan for the volunteers that they can do immediately.

lots of clubs have this kind of problem. have tried to volunteer at other organizations that were pleading for help, gonna fold, etc. what happens is that when new people offer to do this or that they get told that Bill looks after that, oh

no rick looks after that etc. And then you get

told we will call you, dont worry we will find

something for you to do, thanks for coming out.

You dont hear back until next year when the

same people are saying they are giving up,

quitting, no one wants to help. I think it would

help if organizations really wanted help or new

members they take a serious look at how they

treat people who show up or phone. Have a

plan for the volunteers that they can do

immediately.

X2. I have even had clubs say they have to vote on whether I could participate or not. Just volunteering wasn't enough.

I think its important to keep new or potential volunteers engaged in the club whether there is an immediate need for what they can offer the club or not. A lot of clubs probably need guidance on how to manage potential volunteer resources.

As President of Alliston & District Snowmobile Club I am making a point to personally reach out to every individual that I am made aware of who wishes to help the club. Additionally I will follow up with them on their volunteer experience when they do get a chance to come out.

Simple answer here

they already have people that can fix and operate the groomers

If they needed help in that department I am sure they would advertise and request that help

I still don't get the issues with some here, I have been involved with a few clubs over the years and have had no issues, I know my place in the food chain and am there to help when needed.

Archived