Alliston Snowmobile Club May Fold

02Sled

I think its important to keep new or potential volunteers engaged in the club whether there is an immediate need for what they can offer the club or not. A lot of clubs probably need guidance on how to manage potential volunteer resources.

As President of Alliston & District Snowmobile Club I am making a point to personally reach out to every individual that I am made aware of who wishes to help the club. Additionally I will follow up with them on their volunteer experience when they do get a chance to come out.

I seen your post on FB that you had a decent turn out yesterday :)

I seen your post on FB that you had a decent turn out yesterday :)

Thanks for the like.

Most of our new volunteers from last years recruiting drive showed up or worked on trails independently yesterday. We had a few new enthusiastict people show up who went back out today to finish off the trail section they started on yesterday. Good start. I think it will be only through contacts that new volunteers can bring that we will find the people to fill the positions we need filled.

Thanks for the like.

Most of our new volunteers from last years recruiting drive showed up or worked on trails independently yesterday. We had a few new enthusiastict people show up who went back out today to finish off the trail section they started on yesterday. Good start. I think it will be only through contacts that new volunteers can bring that we will find the people to fill the positions we need filled.

communication is key

I went to the club I helped in fall on the trails , "AGM meeting" listed on FB for last thursday(april 4th) only to arrive and no one there, drove 45+ minutes to get there, found out they moved the meeting to this coming thursday but forgot to update their Facebook page. Won't discourage me, though I might not be able to make this weeks meeting but I will be available next fall for sure. Without volounteers our sport would not exist as we know it :)

Ya I liked your FB page last fall when Diana had mentioned it on one of these sites

This is so true. I went to two snowmobile club meetings all winter and never got a phone call to come out and help. Running a club house for half a day on a weekend isn't my cup of tea.

I assume you are speaking of two St. Clements club meetings through the winter. Actually, as I'm sure active sledder like yourself knows, other than clubhouse volunteering and wing night volunteering through the winter, the job that does need volunteers is trail patrol as has been mentioned. You wrote previously that you might think about that for next year. So there is one spot. You can check with any of the club executive to find out when the training takes place but normally it is on an evening or Saturday in late November or early December at the clubhouse. PM me if you like in that time frame and I will make sure there is a spot reserved for you.

Also, if you want to help in the next week or 2 with taking down trails, PM me tonight and I will get you in touch with the club trailmaster to arrange for you to help.

If I don't hear from you, I will surmize that you are just another one of the many who like to complain about how clubs are run but don't want to make the extra effort to get involved.

Nice hearing some good response from club members. Have to admit I had a hard time (15 yrs ago) breaking the barrier but was persistant. Wouldn't leave it alone until I found my in. There are ton's of things to do within any club and really most require little commitment. The early work parties, brushing and clearing followed by staking and signing is all pretty straight forward. It's after that. This year was a classic...we set up, stakes fell down, limbs fell, more brushing required, water hazards, close trails, open trails, close trails, close gates, open gates...get my point. The standard line, your are either part of the solution or part of the problem is very true. The solution is persistance. It's not a huge commitment but it is a commitment........................to your enjoyment and the health of the sport. We've beat this one to death in the past and yes there are a certain percentage on this forum who are not members ( and I can't understand it) as this group is probably one of the more informed groups.

I assume you are speaking of two St. Clements club meetings through the winter. Actually, as I'm sure active sledder like yourself knows, other

than clubhouse volunteering and wing night

volunteering through the winter, the job that

does need volunteers is trail patrol as has been

mentioned. You wrote previously that you might

think about that for next year. So there is one

spot. You can check with any of the club

executive to find out when the training takes

place but normally it is on an evening or

Saturday in late November or early December at

the clubhouse. PM me if you like in that time

frame and I will make sure there is a spot

reserved for you

Also, if you want to help in the next week or 2 with taking down trails, PM me tonight and I will get you in touch with the club trailmaster to arrange for you to help.

If I don't hear from you, I will surmize that you

are just another one of the many who like to

complain about how clubs are run but don't want

to make the extra effort to get involved.

Actually it wasn't st Clements that I was referring too. I went to three meetings there and paid the yearly membership for a change too. I went to

two other club meetings in the area as well, just getting a feel for things.

Actually it wasn't st Clements that I was referring too. I went to three meetings there and paid the yearly membership for a change too. I went to

Oh, I guess I was confused since you have listed your club as St. Clements for a number of years.

If you came to our club meetings and gave your contact info to our secretary you would have received e-mails when the club is looking for help. The club newsletter e-mailed to everyone also gives the contact info for the executive amd trailmaster so you can contact them if you want to help on trails. If all you want to do is become a trail patrol then you will have to become a club member and come out for meetings. We have had problems in the past with people being trail patrol and nobody in the club knew who they were. They were a friend of a friend and just a name on a list.

If you came to our club meetings and gave your contact info to our secretary you would have received e-mails when the club is looking for

help. The club newsletter e-mailed to everyone

also gives the contact info for the executive

amd trailmaster so you can contact them if you

want to help on trails. If all you want to do is

become a trail patrol then you will have to

become a club member and come out for

meetings. We have had problems in the past

with people being trail patrol and nobody in the

club knew who they were. They were a friend of

a friend and just a name on a list.

I did attend a few of your meetings as well and I understand you have rules now, because of past experiences.

Archived