Trip report from Feb 8-10..Cochrane-Hearst Area..

Turbo Doo

Well, this past weekend we rode Friday from Cochrane-Hearst, then down into Hornepayne for a little tour on Saturday, then back to Cochrane on Sunday. Stayed at the Westway in Cochrane, and the Companion in Hearst. Kapuskasking west to Hearst and down into Hornepayne had the best trails by far. Rode the A trail from Cochrane to the Moonbeam clubhouse, then took the L123 thats run on the south side of Kap..Gassed up in Opastika, and on to Hearst via the A trail and the L155..Saturday we rode down into Hornepayne for lunch and back, met with the guy that runs the club at Uncle's for lunch. Great chat with him about snow and trail conditions. He also said Hornepayne has been averaging about 10 sleds a day. Sunday we rode the same trails back to Smooth Rock Falls. From there we ran down the C trail south towards Timmins on the intent on a good ride back up into Cochrane on the A106C from the South end. Well, other than the logging road running for approx..20kms, it was ok..Definatly not looking good from Smooth Rock Falls south once you get to the logging area(Depending on snow, and if they sand or not. Shoulders on logging road are not Sled friendly)...Met some fellow OCer's at Smoothy's on Sunday. Also met 2 groups of riders from Michigan, that started in Wawa, and were riding to Cochrane and back..They said Wawa to the river just south of Hornepayne was iffy.. All in all a great run..

On a side note, we had a little technicality with the 1200. Seems it does not like to race the IQ turbo too much..Looks like it had a bit much oil in it from the last oil change(at the ski-doo dealer mind you), and it puked some out of the over flow line..No problems thought after that...

Here's a link to check out some pictures..

http://s1048.beta.ph...hiedel/library/

Nice pics ! And a nice kitty hiding in the trees ! Did you see any moose ? The A trail is polluted with tracks between Hearst & Val Cote/Mattice.

Sure do like the red/black color option on the Grand Couch !

Great pics! Looks like a great trip. Very cool to see the cat too!

Very nice report and pics. I have never riden in that area but have always heard good things about it. I can see from your pictures why it's very popular.

Nice report and pics. I see it is lower snow than normal.

I heard Dub / Wawa got some snow this week to help out.

Take Care.

We are finaly getting some snow and the replacement groomer has arived and we will be able to go to the kaby river north to fix the problem spot. A crew is heading out to do the signs on the F trail and it should be posted as open later today.

Hey Groomer Guy. Love reading your reports on your blog page. borrowed groomer looks good. It's great other clubs are still willing to help out.

Your blog is very entertaining and informative. You are becoming quite the icon. I'm sure there are many more that enjoy your blog than you are aware of. Keep up the great work. You are "priceless" to our sport.

Always enjoyed riding through your area years ago. (before kids and lots of time). will get back up there some day. Busy coaching hockey, kids, work etc.

Happy Grooming!!! Truly Appreciated!!!!

So the bad part was on C trail south of SRF,not the 106?Will be there next week and thank you for the heads up.

Yes.. Its on the part from SRF down to the junction..Where C meets the A106C..Its doable, but not pretty..Some STEEL bridges in sections, that sure sounded not good on the ole carbides..

Nice pics ! And a nice kitty hiding in the trees ! Did you see any moose ? The A trail is polluted with tracks between Hearst & Val Cote/Mattice.

Sure do like the red/black color option on the Grand Couch !

]

NO grand couch here...2011 GSX SE..Had the larger windsheild installed for the old guys!..HEHE..

looks like your having a fun week, glad the trails are in good shape

Thanks for the report and pics.

That loop south on C and up A106C is usually a blast. Thanks for the heads up re: logging.

Hey Groomer Guy. Love reading your reports on your blog page. borrowed groomer looks good. It's great other clubs are still willing to help out.

Your blog is very entertaining and informative. You are becoming quite the icon. I'm sure there are many more that enjoy your blog than you are aware of. Keep up the great work. You are "priceless" to our sport.

Always enjoyed riding through your area years ago. (before kids and lots of time). will get back up there some day. Busy coaching hockey, kids, work etc.

Happy Grooming!!! Truly Appreciated!!!!

Thank you, :) It's Comments like this that keeps me going, I do it for fun and free, none of the links and ads there are paid, I do it for favors for great people that help our sport. Please Guys share my link with others on other sites and friends, I'm working with a Film company right now and if my numbers are up and we see alot of trafict there might be something big. :) If any of you would like to post ride reports or any good information on my blog you can contact me and you can be a contributor.

Hey Groomer guy, bought another trail permit this weekend even though it is free. I decided I would help out a struggling club. So I picked your club the Alouettes! Don't know how much it will help... but thought every little bit counts.

Cheers, and thanks for your commitment and hard work towards the sport, to make it better for everyone! :)

Jay

Archived