I have planned the following Gold Rush tour for myself and my g/f (riding 2-up) and two other couples (1 other couple riding 2-up) for a 4-day trip. We will be trailering up from Pembroke to New Liskeard Thursday afternoon/evening.

Day 1: New Liskeard to Val Gagne, Country Inn Bar & Grill.

Day 2: Val Gagne to Cochrane to Timmins, Cedar Meadows Resort.

Day 3: Timmins to Gowganda Lake, Gowganda Lake Lodge.

Day 4: Gowganda Lake to New Liskeard (160 km’s), then trailer home.

Questions:

1. Will it be possible to find Thursday night accommodations in New Liskeard where we can leave our trucks and trailers for this tour?

2. The ladies in the group don’t enjoy long days in the saddle, so are the 225 – 250 km days in this tour okay for these types of trails?

3. Suggestions or alternate possibilities for the locations and/or accommodations I have listed? Does Gowganda Lake Lodge have a restaurant? Should I be concerned that I cannot read most of the items on the menu for Cedar Meadows Resort?

Any input is welcomed!

80% of the trails you are thinking of riding are closed , might be a bumpy ride

80% of the trails you are thinking of riding are closed , might be a bumpy ride

Good point...I should have mentioned we are planning to do this February 14 - 18!

tons Of hotels in New liskeard right off the trail. The trails up there are very very fast. Timmins to cochrane is completly hydro line which is always smooth. So 200 to 250 days will be no prob

If your staying at Gowganda Lake lodge they will cook you up a awsome meal for sure , whenever we drive to cochrane Val Gagne doesnt look like to much , I would check that out , Might want to just keep going to Cochrane especialy if you have the wifey on board

Gowganda Lake Lodge does not have a restaurant (unless something has changed) however, they will make you a meal and deliver to your cottage. Very good meal was provided to my wife and I last February. You will love the trails in this area.

Sent at same time as Muskoka Man sent his response - sorry for the duplication.

I have planned the following Gold Rush tour for myself and my g/f (riding 2-up) and two other couples (1 other couple riding 2-up) for a 4-day trip. We will be trailering up from Pembroke to New Liskeard Thursday afternoon/evening.

Day 1: New Liskeard to Val Gagne, Country Inn Bar & Grill.

Day 2: Val Gagne to Cochrane to Timmins, Cedar Meadows Resort.

Day 3: Timmins to Gowganda Lake, Gowganda Lake Lodge.

Day 4: Gowganda Lake to New Liskeard (160 km’s), then trailer home.

Questions:

1. Will it be possible to find Thursday night accommodations in New Liskeard where we can leave our trucks and trailers for this tour?

2. The ladies in the group don’t enjoy long days in the saddle, so are the 225 – 250 km days in this tour okay for these types of trails?

3. Suggestions or alternate possibilities for the locations and/or accommodations I have listed? Does Gowganda Lake Lodge have a restaurant? Should I be concerned that I cannot read most of the items on the menu for Cedar Meadows Resort?

Any input is welcomed!

We have stayed in these places numerous times; other than Val Gange. I would also recommend you continue on to Timmins or Cochrane, I'm not sure I would want to stay in Val Gange, I know my wife wouldn't. There are many nice places to stay in Cochrane. If you have the extra time take a couple of days and ride to Hearst and back The is truely a great smooth, fast ride. Gowganda Lake Lodge will be a great place to stay, Auld Reekie is also nearby.

Have a great, safe ride.

Great post Spanky. I would like to try the same trip. The key will be to find parking for truck and trailer in New Liskeard.

if you stay a night at the quality Inn you can park there for your tour , unless they have changed policies on this lately

North of New Liskeard, are you travelling on the "A" trail through Elk Lake or are you taking the A108Q north through Kirkland Lake?

"A" trail is a little longer but straight and fast, A108Q is twisty and winding but worth the try if you've done the A trail to death. If you do take Kirkland Lake, Stay on A108Q all the way north until it connects with the "A", very nice trail.

Check out www.kirklandlakesnowmobileclub.com/ for KL area trail maps.

The only thing I can suggest is since it is Family Day weekend your going you might want to plan your stops early enough

Neil

Thanks for everyone’s responses!

The trip now looks like this; Thurday evening Temagami Shores, Friday to Gowganda Lake Lodge, Saturday to Timmins, Sunday to Elk Lake, Monday back to Temagami.

One last question…where would you recommend to stay in Timmins?

Timmins has a number of options, I have stayed on both sides of town. Most recent trips, we stayed at the Super 8. A continental breakfast was included and there is a restaurant (Kelsey's I think) next door. Gas is also nearby.

Thanks for everyone’s responses!

The trip now looks like this; Thurday evening Temagami Shores, Friday to Gowganda Lake Lodge, Saturday to Timmins, Sunday to Elk Lake, Monday back to Temagami.

One last question…where would you recommend to stay in Timmins?

Have stayed in 2 places in Timmins:

Travelodge

-local trails to door

-continental breakfast

-close to-tim horton's, east side mario's(next door), pizza hut, fishbowl restaurant(good food)

Cedar meadows

-full restaurant(3 meals)

-hut tub(not included in price of room)

-on trail

Thanks guys!

Trip is booked...Thursday Feb 14 at Temagami Shores, Friday Feb 15 at Gowganda Lake Lodge, Saturday Feb 16 at Super 8 in Timmins, Sunday Feb 17 Elk Lake Cabins, Monday Feb 18 back to Temagami Shores to load up and head back to Pembroke.

Everyone I talked to seemed really nice, looking forward to meeting them! I will provide a trip report when we return.

• 1 month later...

Nice to run into you and the group today Spanky. Make sure you post a report and some pics if you have them. Great sunny day for a ride, eh?

Archived