ICE Safety

Domino

Just a reminder for us all.

Here is the ICE Safety Chart

post-19700-0-77595500-1356704481_thumb.j

Very good reminder.

I don't know if it's natural selection or that people don't appreciate the risk... Southern Ontario's lakes are not to be blindly trusted yet.

Saw a few idiots out on the lake with 3/4 ton 4x4's. The bays had 1o to 12 inches of ice then but the middle was 6 to 8 inches. Was talking to an ice fisherman and he said he had 6 inches of ice under him as two 4x4's went passed at 30 to 40mph side by side. Just need one airhole to turn things real ugly!

A few years back a guy I knew dropped his 4x4 through the ice after the 4x4 in front of him bust the ice open but managed to bounce out on the other side of the hole with only a broken tie rod end and a flat tire. The guy following put on the brakes to avoide a collision and fell in the hole. Luckly both people made it out of the truck and to the surface. Truck was found by divers on the bottom up side down in 15 ft of water. Same winter a guy dropped his Ford mini truck through crossing an ice ridge.

I,ve been drilling holes for lake stakes and all of a sudden after many many holes 8 inches deep and not drilled through the ice! I drill through and measure 5 inches of ice! Like where did that come from? Ice thickness does vary! Kinda gives you a pucker if you know what I mean.

No ice is safe ice..it's just how much risk are you willing to take?

I don't believe the OFSC is promoting any ice thickness as "safe" anymore. More liability...

If you encounter an issue...

• Go back the way you came..it was likely safe from where you came from..you have no idea if the ice is safe in front of you
  • Carry a throw bag where you can get to it
  • Carry ice awls and know how to use them
  • If you get dunked, huddle to preserve body heat if you can't self rescue
  • Keep a whistle in your pocket to call for distress in an emergency
  • If you are rescuing somebody..never get to close to the victim..use a throw bag or reaching aid and spread your weight out over the ice..a ladder is great for this or many branches

I ride a lot of ice and always wear a foater suit. My sled has a large storage compartment as does my wife's. We keep water ski tow ropes in them.

It's also important to keep your ice chilled to keep your sreeb chilled properly. Just ask Wenailem.

Where do you carry the skis?

:w00t:

Never gone skiing behind a snowmobile? Don't know what you're missing. Never had to use the ropes but we have them for the boat already. The handle and the rope float and with a snap clip at the other end can hook onto the back of a sled in an instant if needed.

Never gone skiing behind a snowmobile? Don't know what you're missing. Never had to use the ropes but we have them for the boat already. The handle and the rope float and with a snap clip at the other end can hook onto the back of a sled in an instant if needed.

When one end is clipped to the sled...is the other end hooked to the Wife as the sled sinks????

No ice is safe ice..it's just how much risk are you willing to take?

I don't believe the OFSC is promoting any ice thickness as "safe" anymore. More liability...

If you encounter an issue...

• Go back the way you came..it was likely safe from where you came from..you have no idea if the ice is safe in front of you
  • Carry a throw bag where you can get to it
  • Carry ice awls and know how to use them
  • If you get dunked, huddle to preserve body heat if you can't self rescue
  • Keep a whistle in your pocket to call for distress in an emergency
  • If you are rescuing somebody..never get to close to the victim..use a throw bag or reaching aid and spread your weight out over the ice..a ladder is great for this or many branches

You're right. Those charts don't appear on our 2013 District Map nor the OFSC Provincial trail Guide.

When one end is clipped to the sled...is the other end hooked to the Wife as the sled sinks????

Or vice versa... She throws me the handle and pulls me out with the sled. If I had to rely on her muscle to pull me out I would be dead for sure.

Saw a few idiots out on the lake with 3/4 ton 4x4's. The bays had 1o to 12 inches of ice then but the middle was 6 to 8 inches. Was talking to an ice fisherman and he said he had 6 inches of ice under him as two 4x4's went passed at 30 to 40mph side by side. Just need one airhole to turn things real ugly!

A few years back a guy I knew dropped his 4x4 through the ice after the 4x4 in front of him bust the ice open but managed to bounce out on the other side of the hole with only a broken tie rod end and a flat tire. The guy following put on the brakes to avoide a collision and fell in the hole. Luckly both people made it out of the truck and to the surface. Truck was found by divers on the bottom up side down in 15 ft of water. Same winter a guy dropped his Ford mini truck through crossing an ice ridge.

I,ve been drilling holes for lake stakes and all of a sudden after many many holes 8 inches deep and not drilled through the ice! I drill through and measure 5 inches of ice! Like where did that come from? Ice thickness does vary! Kinda gives you a pucker if you know what I mean.

we had 2 truck go through here already

one was on the Red River early December, drove right into open water,thinking this was attemped suicide as he had a family member parish the day before in a house fire

Xmas Eve someone broke through on Lake Winnipeg with their truck and the guy had to dive back in as his daughter could not get out in time, both survived luckily

You're right. Those charts don't appear on our 2013 District Map nor the OFSC Provincial trail Guide.

The OFSC had them removed because of liability! Use at your own risk, OFSC makes no claim as to what is safe to cross. Lawsuits are the ruination of all things fun!

The OFSC had them removed because of liability! Use at your own risk, OFSC makes no claim as to what is safe to cross. Lawsuits are the ruination of all things fun!

Ridiculous!!

Soon they are going to shut down the Internet because the US military is going to be sued!

I wonder when the hammer will drop about staking lakes?

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to a program last night on the drive up. They had an interview with Steve Galea ( outdoor writer - Ontario Out Of Doors ). He was saying that many lakes he has been out ice fishing on in Haliburton and around Dorset have 8-10 " of ice, but the ice is like congealed slush. They don't even need an auger to open a hole. They are just using a spade to dig down. He has yet to hit really solid ice!

another truck went through the ice on the Red River here 2 days ago, a 51yr old man ice fishing, he got out before it went under

I have been involved in an ice resuce, thgree people went in, not a good scene and hard to understasnd how quick your life can end until you witness it. Know before you go, is the best advise ever.

You are right been there too. It is burned into my mind.

Ice is safest when the locals stop falling through!

I wonder when the hammer will drop about staking lakes?

Take on lake stakes, is that they are a visual guide to get from land trail to land trail (one side of a water crossing to another). They have nothing to due with the ice being safe.

Archived