Gowganda helicopter

Muskoka Man

We showed up as the chopper was taking off . attached to the bottom is a large ring that they hover over the land and look for different minerals for exploration 

Riding from Hornepayne towards the Corridor 1 trip, we saw a yellow MNR chopper flying along, We figured it was doing a moose survey.

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Riding from Hornepayne towards the Corridor 1 trip, we saw a yellow MNR chopper flying along, We figured it was doing a moose survey.

Like Rick Mercer did in Algonquin for the bears? On the way to count the bear they spotted moose.

Amazing they can fly over the land and identify different metals under 3 ft of snow and down in the rock 

Used to see it on planes in sudbury. Never knew what it actually did until reading this post and clicking on the link. The plane set up I used to see was pictured in the wiki article. I always figured it was a mining thing, just had no idea what it was.Cool post.

13 minutes ago, zoso said:

Used to see it on planes in sudbury. Never knew what it actually did until reading this post and clicking on the link. The plane set up I used to see was pictured in the wiki article. I always figured it was a mining thing, just had no idea what it was.Cool post.

I remember seeing an article in National Geographic years ago about Canada's north. It showed an aircraft towing a torpedo shaped instrument (similar to a torpedo) on a cable. The caption said it was used for mineral exploration.

We talked to pilot and co- pilot ,they have been in gowganda for some time and they were searching south of town a bit towards Sudbury,very elaborate set up inside chopper to take readings ,they go up for 3 or 4 hrs at a time,we also seen them there last fall on a bike tour we did,must be finding something if they are still around 

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

May also have had the COs on board.  They do that once or twice a winter to check up on anglers ice fishing on the remote lakes up here.  They surprise a lot of people who think (and are to an extent) in the middle of nowhere.  Checked me once when I was in high school fishing in Lake Superior PP about 7km from highway by snowshoe.  Asked for a ride out, they declined.  :P 

Not sure if MNRF have COs with rotary wing licenses or if they just ride along.  I know they do have at least a couple of COs who are pilots, talk about dream job (for me at least) get to spend most days outside and fly around in a Turbo Beaver on floats/wheel-skis.

15 hours ago, matt17 said:

May also have had the COs on board.  They do that once or twice a winter to check up on anglers ice fishing on the remote lakes up here.  They surprise a lot of people who think (and are to an extent) in the middle of nowhere.  Checked me once when I was in high school fishing in Lake Superior PP about 7km from highway by snowshoe.  Asked for a ride out, they declined.  :P 

Not sure if MNRF have COs with rotary wing licenses or if they just ride along.  I know they do have at least a couple of COs who are pilots, talk about dream job (for me at least) get to spend most days outside and fly around in a Turbo Beaver on floats/wheel-skis.

All MNRF CO’s are ride alongs.  The flying CO program never “took off” (Pardon the pun).  They would either need to train the CO to fly, or train a pilot to be a CO. The biggest problem was that the pilot CO’s got paid the same as any other CO (Which is nothing to sneeze at!), with no compensation for the flying part.  I know at least one of them got their rotary wing licence, and found it much more lucrative to be a pilot than a CO.  A moose survey, or some other resource survey is most likely what Revnrd observed. 

2 hours ago, Bucking Pig said:

All MNRF CO’s are ride alongs.  The flying CO program never “took off” (Pardon the pun).  They would either need to train the CO to fly, or train a pilot to be a CO. The biggest problem was that the pilot CO’s got paid the same as any other CO (Which is nothing to sneeze at!), with no compensation for the flying part.  I know at least one of them got their rotary wing licence, and found it much more lucrative to be a pilot than a CO.  A moose survey, or some other resource survey is most likely what Revnrd observed. 

As you know,MNRF is a very deverse ministry,those are not always ride along CO's.Biologists,Water control folks and a whole host of other people.I have a pic somewhere of one of there yellow birds on my front lawn.Pilot got caught in a snow squall and decided my place looked welcoming.He could have gone around it,but since the Metatina crash they have some pretty strict protocols.I helped the pilot try the rotors down and put the bagy things on the exhaust.He wouldn't take any Bailys in his coffee other than that was a positive memorable experience..

2 minutes ago, gtserider said:

As you know,MNRF is a very deverse ministry,those are not always ride along CO's.Biologists,Water control folks and a whole host of other people.I have a pic somewhere of one of there yellow birds on my front lawn.Pilot got caught in a snow squall and decided my place looked welcoming.He could have gone around it,but since the Metatina crash they have some pretty strict protocols.I helped the pilot try the rotors down and put the bagy things on the exhaust.He wouldn't take any Bailys in his coffee other than that was a positive memorable experience..

Yes. Absolutely. Part of my career until my retirement this fall.  Actually, the passengers in a yellow bird are rarely CO’s.  Most usually technicians, biologists and foresters. My point was IF there were CO’s on board any yellow bird, , they would be passengers. 

2 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Some of my partners co workers-----sad day.

A very sad day.  I was flying a moose survey that day too.  

2 minutes ago, Bucking Pig said:

Yes. Absolutely. Part of my career until my retirement this fall.  Actually, the passengers in a yellow bird are rarely CO’s.  Most usually technicians, biologists and foresters. My point was IF there were CO’s on board any yellow bird, , they would be passengers. 

Cousin was a CO until his retirement a few yrs ago.Stationed in Nakina--Parry Sound.Says he going to catch all the fish he3 spent all those years protecting

We did the Tracks to Trails trip a few years afterwards & saw 1st hand what the terrain was like in the area.

7 minutes ago, Bucking Pig said:

A friend's daughter has been stationed in Nipigon as a bear technician for a couple of years now.

1 minute ago, revrnd said:

A friend's daughter has been stationed in Nipigon as a bear technician for a couple of years now.

Charley?  No way!  I hired her.

Just now, gtserider said:

What the hell is a bear tech???? Yes there is bears in Nipigon. We shoot a few and there is still bears.

They administer the bearwise program.  Helping folks deal with nuisance bears in towns.  They would go to home or business that is having bear problems and give advice on how to discourage the bear.  Also go to schools to help teach the kids how to keep bears away from property. 

6 minutes ago, Bucking Pig said:

Charley?  No way!  I hired her.

Yes! Small world. I've known her since she was a kid LOL If you see her, tell her you know Rev ☺

10 minutes ago, Bucking Pig said:

They administer the bearwise program.  Helping folks deal with nuisance bears in towns.  They would go to home or business that is having bear problems and give advice on how to discourage the bear.  Also go to schools to help teach the kids how to keep bears away from property. 

I'm in "cottage country" so very aware of the bears,and the lack of understanding from the city folk. Though that we be a given in the north.

Archived